***EYES ONLY***

edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

My eyes always look dead or plastic. Does anyone have soem adivse on HOW to make a human eye look good making from a Sphere vertex object.

I never seem to get the shader right

PLEASE ADVISE

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Look at what properties eyes have...

1. Reflection...the iris and the pupil are some to rather reflective. The covering of tears also provides some reflectivity.

2. Refraction...the cornea is refractive. Being so tends to focus the reflections of the pupil. The lens is very refractive, but it usually isn't something included in a 3d representation of the eye.

3. Glossiness...even more that reflectivity, the tears provide glossiness/wetness.

4. Translucency...not really noticeable, except when it's lacking. Because light doesn't come from behind them or shine all the way through them, you don't really notice that it's there...but, like a glass eye that's fully opaque, it's noticeable by not being present.

Now, the 'white' isn't really 100% white...it's an off white slightly bluish/greyish, maybe especially if you are wanting to show something like tiredness, sadness or such...pinkish. It's also covered with not nearly noticeable to very noticeable veins...again depending on things like tiredness, emotional state and so on. The iris is typically several colors, in the same 'family' and not a smooth, uniform shade

And a big item, that almost always is lacking in 3D...focus. Focus is not just making sure the eyes are pointed in the right direction. It's also accounting for the eyelids, brows, cheeks and so on.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

There use to be a product on Renderosity by Blackhearted that added prop eyes to figures. The geometry was supposedly closer to real eyes and that makes them look realistic. I still use these prop eyes (parented to the figure's eyes) and they *do* look better than the standard DAZ figure eyes... I just searched on Rendo but the product is gone... Maybe you can find similar on Turosquid or make your own, but I think there is more to it that just using a textured sphere...

I also put a VALUE 0 – 1000 slider in the highlight channel of the lens and set eye highlights to 150+ it makes a more exaggerated highlight. Cheat the shader so the iris glows a bit (mask off the top of the iris glow so it looks like a depth shadow).

• DBuchterDBuchter Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

The highlight, reflection and shadowing are really important with eyes.

I have cranked up the highlight on the corneas in this image to around 180%. There is a reflection on the cornea as well - probably around 15 - 20%. The shadowing on the iris is being assisted by the soft shadowing, but otherwise, no adjustments were made there.

For anyone interested, this is Aiko 3 with the Toon package, so the eyes, although exaggerated, have the same shading domains and components as most DAZ models.

toon_woman_11_test.png
    640 x 480 - 157K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,811
    edited December 1969
    green_eye_diff.jpeg
    1024 x 1024 - 75K