Halp!! Matrix Reboot. Advice for starting anew with Gen5 and DS4.5

cybertommycybertommy Posts: 10
edited December 1969 in New Users

Greetings,

After having read the forums for a while, I'd still like to ask for kind indulgences from those more experienced than myself with the new Gen5 stuff and DS 4,5.

I had a computer melt down which zapped my DS 3 set-up. After attempts to reincarnate - no luck.
Much of it was saved so no giant loss.

But here I am wondering how to take the Gen4 stuff I have and start anew with Daz 4.5 --- and then get into Gen5 stuff.
Which seems pretty cool.

Having not attempted anything yet, I am looking for good advice. Opinion highly welcome. Preferences preferred.

What about loading the Gen4 stuff into Daz4.5 --- would you? Does it work well in 4.5?
And if so, what's the best procedure?
And helpful hints?

And what's this DSON that seems essential to the process? An installer? Content management?
Because it looks pretty cool that stuff is now stored in a My Documents library folder as opposed to the old fashion Daz folder
--- not to mention the nightmare that was the old contentment management system.

Is that all better now?

I have a lot of stuff in Gen4 --- but will I need new morph packs for Gen5?
Can Gen4 characters be converted to work LIKE Gen5 characters?

What's the lowdown, gang?
How would you tackle a Matrix Reboot?

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Gen 4 (and earlier) content still works in DS4.5 (although some plugins don't). You can use the Gen 4 figures as you used to, or you can use Gen 4 clothing and textures on Genesis. You can also weight-map the Gen 4 figures if you wish.

There's also a plugin, http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-generation-x that can be used to transfer morphs from Gen 4 figures to Genesis. To get the same results you'll need http://www.daz3d.com/shop/v4-and-m4-shapes-for-genesis

DSON is a file format that allows DS4.5 files to be imported into other applications, like Carrara 8.5 and Poser 9.

The Content Management System is handled with a full-fledged database server now, but if you preferred the folder view in DS3 you can still work with your content that way.

• cybertommycybertommy Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

Thanks Fix!