Just Because I Can. STUPID THREAD II

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,723
    edited December 1969

Noctyrnus said:
    also what happens if you don't press F2 but let it continue?

I tried that and nothing happens. I left it alone for several hours and it was the same screen.

• NoctyrnusNoctyrnus Posts: 59
    edited December 1969

Noctyrnus said:

I tried that and nothing happens. I left it alone for several hours and it was the same screen.

My laptop did that before too, I ended up restoring the OS from disk. Hopefully someone else has a better solution.

edited December 1969

The notebook problem has nothing to do with the litter box problem and vice a versa.
    I turn on the notebook and I get this screen with lots of words on it. It says to press the F2 key. I did that but nothing happens.

What are the words?

Big letters American Megatrends next to a red triangle with the words www.ami.com underneath it
    AMBiBIOS (C) 2006 American Megatrends, Inc.
    BIOS Date: 12/03/09 Ver: 206
    CPU : Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20GHz
    Current Speed : 2.20 gHz

The MCH is operating with DDR2-667/CL5 in Dual-Channel Mode
    initializing USB Controllers . . Done.
    4096MB OK

Auto-Detecting AHCI PORT 0 . . SATA Hard Disk
    Auto-Detecting AHCI PORT 1 . . ATAPI CDROM
    Sata Port0 ST9500325As 0002SDMI
    S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Status BAD
    SATA Port 1 Optiarc DVD+/-RW AD-7580S FD06
    Auto-Detecthing USB Mass Storage Devices . .
    00 usB mass storage devices found and configured .

AHCI Port0 Device Error
    Press F2 to Resume

edited December 1969

Noctyrnus said:
    Noctyrnus said:

My laptop did that before too, I ended up restoring the OS from disk. Hopefully someone else has a better solution.

I do not have a disk to restore from. I was having problems with my dvd drive

edited December 1969

my problem with my desktop mouse right now is that there is a cat in the way of the mouse. No the cat is not playing with the mouse. he is stretching out trying to take as much desk space as possible. Now another cat is coming to help make sure most of the desk space is used up by cat. she is sitting on my notebook, but not doing anything to help it.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

MBW, see the post by MrBig55 (2nd reply) on this page: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/23868-63-ahci-port0-device-error

edited December 1969

Auto-Detecting AHCI PORT 0 . . SATA Hard Disk

AHCI Port0 Device Error
    Press F2 to Resume

If it is a config prob in the BIOS, not being able to F2 causes a problem. If its a bad HD or port then that'll need to be fixed first.
    As to the dvd drive it could be related, a bad driver or a compatiblity issue.

Originally my laptop had Vista...after a few months I had problems with my wireless network adapter....turned out my adapter was incompatible with Vista, once I installed Win7 it was fixed. (todays computers are so much touchier than what I originally started with)

edited December 1969

would there be a way to install preview version of Windows 8 and then use that to get the back up dvd made and then use it to go back to windows 7?

edited December 1969

I'd recommend following the steps listed in the link that PCMIke posted...if you don't how to do that then have someone that does do it. At least that way it'll rule out whether or not its a crashed HD or if its in the cable. Not sure about what you suggested as workable but my pc knowledge is quickly becoming outdated. Most of my training is in programming. Most of my internal workings and troubleshooting knowledge is self taught from keeping my pc's running since the 286 models.

edited December 1969

As a side note, about 2 or 3 months ago I got an email about win8 from the company I buy my virus protection from and it stated that win8 is designed to monitor all online user activity without the user's knowledge. Wished I'd kept that email.

edited December 1969

Sorry for hijacking the thread peeps
    now for some seriousness...

bunniesandburrows.jpg
    750 x 600 - 79K
    edited December 1969

Why is the image blurry?

How do I reinstall windows without a windows cd or dvd?

edited December 1969

Why is the image blurry?

How do I reinstall windows without a windows cd or dvd?

Image is blurry because its resized larger than its original size

Without a cd or dvd drive to run it from the only way I know how to install a fresh copy of windows is by way of another HD.
    If you know anyone with an external cd or dvd drive you could hook it to a usb but you'd still need a disk to run. If you can somehow get to the windows desktop then I'd just use the rollback/restore feature and then target the dvd drive problem.

If your notebook will not load to the desktop and you have no drive to run a disk from then you'll need to have it looked at. I doubt that its a BIOS issue for the F2 thing but I could be wrong, if it is a bad cable or the HD went bad then that'll have to be fixed before you can run any windows.

Sorry I don't have a better suggestion :down:

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited June 2012

Does your notebook not have a Recover Partiton with only the default software installed? 90% of all PC's sold today have a small recover Partition, they also normaily say at REBOOT press F10 or F12 to install default Operating System or something close to that.

I have not read this full conversation. If this has been covered just tell me I'm STUPID. It is the Stupid Thread.

P.S. Thank you all, this is the BEST thread I ever started.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,869
    edited December 1969

need more stupidity

Funny_Warp_1325409184-1.jpg
    294 x 507 - 13K
    edited December 1969

More STUPID!

911-police-fire-or-ambulance-stupid-criminals-demotivational-poster-1236124368.jpg
    640 x 480 - 61K
    edited December 1969

Yet more Stupid...

stupid_signs.jpg
    400 x 300 - 35K
    edited December 1969

Stupid????

Stupid_Girls_Pink.jpg
    500 x 500 - 55K
    edited December 1969

Ummm....?

picture_of_stupid_-_hey_barack_-_its_the_economy_stupid.jpg
    354 x 433 - 16K
    edited December 1969

Ummm...? Again.

stupid_signs2.jpg
    435 x 317 - 29K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

hmmmm

stuoid_door_sign.jpg
    640 x 541 - 50K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,869
    edited December 1969

I was playing around with the funny warp app on my Android and just a photo of my cat.
    The result though innoccent looks as though my pussy might violate the TOS!!

Funny_Warp_1339329861-1.jpg
    195 x 388 - 13K
    edited December 1969

I was playing around with the funny warp app on my Android and just a photo of my cat.
    The result though innoccent looks as though my pussy might violate the TOS!!

I will not come within ten foot of a comment on that one. Not even with a ten foot....
    Nevermind.
  • flashbackflashback Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

:ohh: .

edited December 1969

:ohh: .

What? What? I never said anything. :)
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Does your notebook not have a Recover Partiton with only the default software installed? 90% of all PC's sold today have a small recover Partition, they also normaily say at REBOOT press F10 or F12 to install default Operating System or something close to that.

I have not read this full conversation. If this has been covered just tell me I'm STUPID. It is the Stupid Thread.

At reboot my puter only gives me F2 (Setup) & F12 (Boot Menu)...I use F2 to access my BIOS setup, can't say I've read every option available...but F12 only gives me a list of devices from which to boot from. I did notice it had the partition as one of the boot device options but as I've never tried it I don't know what exactly would happen.

edited December 1969

They don't come with instructions

clip_image014_thumb3.jpg
    515 x 387 - 45K
    edited December 1969

Noctyrnus said:
    Jaderail said:

At reboot my puter only gives me F2 (Setup) & F12 (Boot Menu)...I use F2 to access my BIOS setup, can't say I've read every option available...but F12 only gives me a list of devices from which to boot from. I did notice it had the partition as one of the boot device options but as I've never tried it I don't know what exactly would happen.
    I have to say, if I can not see the boot screens, F2 & F12 I can not give you advice on this one. Never change the BIOS unless you know what your doing, and If F12 does not say in one Option reinstall Windows to Default I would take it to your closest PC shop and ask, I got mine fixed in 15 mins by the dude (Jack) who just asked me what can I do for you today? He did not even charge me, he said it was to EASY. You might not get off that way but at least your PC would work properly again. I now know how to reinstall my Default OS just like I bought the PC on all three of my puters. Just by using the F12 key or Fwhatever. It will not even over write my content. You should learn to do that with every PC you buy. It will save you money in the long run.

P.S. I will not buy a PC that does not come with a FULL printed manual. You PAID for it Just by buying the PC.

edited December 1969

I've managed to keep my puters running pretty good over the years except for my laptop which has a personality disfunction. Usually keep a windows cd on hand for fresh restores if all else fails. But I'm not a troubleshooting expert, only a certified programmer whose skills went to the wayside. The same day I bought my desktop I replaced the power supply to support the video card I installed and added an FX soundblaster. Miss Bad Wolf's notebook won't load to windows and when she hits the F2 key nothing happens so not sure if any of the other function keys will respond, she doesn't have a cd to boot from and she was having problems with her dvd drive. I recommended she have someone look at it as I'm out of ideas.
    I still have copies of DOS 3.3 & 6.1 as well as Win 3.1, 95, 98, NT, Me, XP, Vista & 7

edited December 1969

:ohh:

not-every-joke-funny.jpg
    640 x 491 - 60K
This discussion has been closed.