How do you make these bokeh effects in Iray

HeraHera Posts: 1,952
edited December 2016 in The Commons

Hello!

How do you make a blurry background and bokeh effects as in this pic. Is it postworked or just a 'regular' render?

Post edited by Hera on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 2016

The background could be a HDRI in the Iray dome with DoF done in camera.  If it's a full set, then it's still using heavy camera DoF.

The bokeh...I'm not sure.  It could be post work...most of what I've seen for Iray, like this...

http://www.daz3d.com/ultragenesis-bokeh-2-into-the-night

tends to be much more expansive than what is shown in that render.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,277

There are a lot of ways but, yes, depth of field.  In iRay, you could simply set up your scene, create some disk primitives with an emissive shader, place them in front and in back of the figure in a somewhat scatter arrangement. select the camera and turn on DOF, with e camera selected, view the scene with the perspective camera and adjust the rendering camera so that you get a tight depth of field around the figure and render.  anything out of the bounding box of the depth of field will be blurry.

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985

Those spots of light are coming from the hanging strings of lights, included with Le Belle Fontaine, in back of the female character in that promo shot. And as mentioned, a Depth of Field effect is making those light bulbs blurry.

So it's actual DoF bokeh from the lights in the scene...no need for anything extra, just set up the DoF and it should be good to go.

• HeraHera Posts: 1,952
    nemesis10 said:

adjust the rendering camera so that you get a tight depth of field around the figure and render.

How do I do that?

(I used to experiment with DOF earlier in 3D light but it was always a lot of pain and little gain, that is, it never really became any good.
    So when I found it was possible to aquire in Iray too, I thought I'd give it a try.

Basically the same way as 3DL...at least in the Studio setup of it.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/56928/iray-camera-wierdness-depth-of-field-take-note (some tips and diagrams)

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501

I don't think that's actual bokeh -- just blurring from the DoF-effect from the camera. I could be wrong on this, but to the best of my knowledge Iray doesn't actually include any parameters for aperture size/shape, which are needed for bokeh calculations...

The OoF portions of the render would seem to indicate that this is just blurring as well.

Hera said:
    nemesis10 said:

adjust the rendering camera so that you get a tight depth of field around the figure and render.

How do I do that?

(I used to experiment with DOF earlier in 3D light but it was always a lot of pain and little gain, that is, it never really became any good.
    So when I found it was possible to aquire in Iray too, I thought I'd give it a try.

Go into the camera and enable Depth of Field. Set your aperture to be something like 10, which should be tight enough to generate a good blur-effect. Keep in mind that the depth of field inside Iray doesn't behave quite the same way as in real life -- it seems to be quite a bit narrower than expected, especially with the default at 22.

mtl1 said:

I don't think that's actual bokeh -- just blurring from the DoF-effect from the camera. I could be wrong on this, but to the best of my knowledge Iray doesn't actually include any parameters for aperture size/shape, which are needed for bokeh calculations...

The OoF portions of the render would seem to indicate that this is just blurring as well.

Hera said:
    nemesis10 said:

How do I do that?

Go into the camera and enable Depth of Field. Set your aperture to be something like 10, which should be tight enough to generate a good blur-effect. Keep in mind that the depth of field inside Iray doesn't behave quite the same way as in real life -- it seems to be quite a bit narrower than expected, especially with the default at 22.

It sort of does...it's just that it's 'fixed' (the size and shape aren't changeable, so it's only going to happen if everything is 'just right'...sort of like a point and shoot camera), at least in the current release version of Iray (there was something in the change log about various parameters related to whats needed for a fully adjustable effect)

Added Iray 2016.2 lens and aperture settings; added a “Lens” property group to cameras when Iray is the active renderer; properties include Lens Radial Bias, Lens Shift X (mm), Lens Shift Y (mm), Lens Stereo Offset (mm), Lens Distortion Type (spherical, cylindrical, stereo, etc), Lens Distortion K1/2/3, Lens Distortion Scale, Aperture Blades, Aperture Blade Rotation

So, fully adjustable is on the way...

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited December 2016
    mjc1016 said:
    mtl1 said:

Hera said:
    nemesis10 said:

How do I do that?

It sort of does...it's just that it's 'fixed' (the size and shape aren't changeable, so it's only going to happen if everything is 'just right'...sort of like a point and shoot camera), at least in the current release version of Iray (there was something in the change log about various parameters related to whats needed for a fully adjustable effect)

Added Iray 2016.2 lens and aperture settings; added a “Lens” property group to cameras when Iray is the active renderer; properties include Lens Radial Bias, Lens Shift X (mm), Lens Shift Y (mm), Lens Stereo Offset (mm), Lens Distortion Type (spherical, cylindrical, stereo, etc), Lens Distortion K1/2/3, Lens Distortion Scale, Aperture Blades, Aperture Blade Rotation

So, fully adjustable is on the way...

Its in the public beta currently, there's all sorts of fun additions to the camera this time round, (although I'm not quite sure what some of them do)

The biggest issue with bokeh, and dof in general, it it takes a lot of iterations to get nice and smooth, like, a lot. Complex background + Needs more than 2000 iterations = not on my computer :(

For fun, suzanne + icospheres ported over from blender, but for rendertimes this took 10 minutes and the dof is still rather noisy still

suzannebokeh.jpg
    750 x 500 - 168K
    Post edited by j cade on
  • HeraHera Posts: 1,952

That's a cute thing, j cade!

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited December 2016

Moar expiriments!

The same scene in blender (there are marginal differences to the dof as they don't really transfer over so it was more my guestimates, I do think cycles dof gets smoother faster for whatever reason, also this render only took 5 minutes, but who knows)

Dof in Iray again, but with some of the new camera features, I love that there's one to make the bokeh more ring-y as thats something thats generally viewed as a negative in real world cameras, as are stong bokeh shapes tbh, but hosestly I think the shapey bokehs look cool. I didn't let this one cook near as long, in case you can't tell, more just a quick poc.

suzannebokehblender.png
    750 x 500 - 407K
    suzannebokeh2.jpg
    750 x 500 - 202K
    Post edited by j cade on
  • NaviNavi Posts: 443
    edited December 2016
    mtl1 said:

Sometimes I get some "5 blades" looking bokeh shapes in my renders, so I think there might be an hidden setting about it, but I don't think you can change/edit it with the controls in the renders settings we have in Ds.

ps : That "Belle fontaine" set is beautiful, but the name should be "la" Belle fontaine, not "le" ;)

edit : We see what looks like 8 blades bokeh in J cade's render, so it's either something new in the beta, or it depnds from focal/aperture, i don't know.

Post edited by Navi on
  • Iray is creamy bokehlicious, even if the ISO setting has to appear a little high to get there.

Navi said:
    mtl1 said:

Sometimes I get some "5 blades" looking bokeh shapes in my renders, so I think there might be an hidden setting about it, but I don't think you can change/edit it with the controls in the renders settings we have in Ds.

ps : That "Belle fontaine" set is beautiful, but the name should be "la" Belle fontaine, not "le" ;)

edit : We see what looks like 8 blades bokeh in J cade's render, so it's either something new in the beta, or it depnds from focal/aperture, i don't know.

Like I said before...it will do it...if everything is just right, as all the settings are 'fixed' and not changeable.   In the beta, they become editable.

• chachahchachah Posts: 27
    edited July 2017

Hi,

If you're curious about all things related to Dof and Bokehs in DAZ Studio and iray, please, have a look at my tutorial. There's also a French version.

Have a creative day.

CH-Tutorial-DAZirayDOF-cover.jpg
    1477 x 1040 - 102K
    Post edited by chachah on
  • JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760
    chachah said:

Hi,

If you're curious about all things related to Dof and Bokehs in DAZ Studio and iray, please, have a look at my tutorial. There's also a French version.

Have a creative day.

That tutorial is a really usefull read, and has nice example images that explain it nicely

• chachahchachah Posts: 27
    edited July 2017
    JamesJAB said:

That tutorial is a really usefull read, and has nice example images that explain it nicely

Hi, JamesJAB. You're very welcome.

Post edited by chachah on