DAZ Studio 4.5... just stopped firing up

I have a new twist on the "DAZ Studio won't work" thing.

I'd installed DS 4.5 in the last week or so, and ran it just fine. Wouldn't transfer content over to Bryce 7 or vice versa, but the program was great.

Then, a few days ago, DS and Bryce suddenly started "talking" to each other, and content could be transferred between them.

And then, while both programs were open and communicating, some error forced DS to close. And it hasn't opened since. As in, it won't start up AT ALL any more.

I've re-installed it, re-downloaded it, everything. Installed a fresh copy to a different hard drive. Nothing works, and my previous DS 4.0 won't open, either. However, DAZ Studio 3.12.32 opens just fine, same as ever. And Bryce 7 fires up with no problem.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Peter

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,156
    edited December 1969

The prime suspect would be the CMS - use the shortcut (Start menu>DAZ 3D>DAZ Content Management Service for Windows) to stop the CMS, then go to the folder you designated for the database and delete or remove the .ind file, then restart the CMS and try launching DS.

• SardoBellclangerSardoBellclanger Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you... I'm afraid even that didn't work, though. I indeed did the stopping, found the .ind file and deleted it, restarted CMS, and launched Studio. Exact same result: never opened.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

... edit ... and my previous DS 4.0 won't open, either. However, DAZ Studio 3.12.32 opens just fine, same as ever. And Bryce 7 fires up with no problem.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Peter

I trust that you aren't trying to run 4.0 and 4.5 on the same machine. For most computer setups, that's not possible.

Other idea ... turn off the CMS, deinstall that. Then deinstall Daz Studio. Reboot the computer.
    Run your AV scanner and make sure the computer is clean. Be sure to be disconnected from the internet.
    Turn off the AV.
    Then install D/S4.5. Reinstall the basic content to get the new Genesis back in folders so that the CMS will recognize it.
    TURN ON THE AV.
    Check if the program will open.

disclaimer: ideas are offered only as such. Everybody is responsible for their own computers.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,851
    edited December 1969

Studio might be starting but not fully opening, on a PC check the task manager (processes tab) and see if it shows up in it, if it does show then "kill it" by right clicking it and select end process, next stop the CMS, once it's fully stopped try starting DS again.

edited December 1969

Thanks, but still nothing. The Task Manager>Processes window does not show the ContentManagerServer.exe program running automatically, and so I've started it manually. So now it shows up under Processes, just like any other running program, and I even edited the ContentManagementServer configuration settings file so that the path would be the correct one (which it wasn't, originally).

But still DS 4.5 does not fire up whatsoever.

I've uninstalled/deleted other DS files from any previous versions also (3.0, 4.0).

edited December 1969

Also, I've run the Windows Task Manager and noticed this: When I try opening DS 4.5, it briefly shows up as a running process, only to disappear again in two or three seconds, whether I've got the CMS running or not.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,156
    edited December 1969

In the application folder there's a Restore defaults script -try double-clicking to open DS and run that, in case the issue iss ome kind of corruption in the settings.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Also, I've run the Windows Task Manager and noticed this: When I try opening DS 4.5, it briefly shows up as a running process, only to disappear again in two or three seconds, whether I've got the CMS running or not.

Temporarily disable your AV and then try starting DS...

It would be nice to know what the original error was. Have you looked in the Event Log to see if you can find it?

Also, what does the DS log file say (it should be in the Applications Data/Daz 3D/Studio4 folder, under your user name/profile). You may want to clear the log (rename the existing one to log.bak) and then try running DS...that way it will be a short log file and you wont have to wade through several days worth of failed attempts to see what's going on.

edited December 1969

In the application folder there's a Restore defaults script -try double-clicking to open DS and run that, in case the issue iss ome kind of corruption in the settings.

Yes, I tried that also! It doesn't seem to have done anything.

I tried a little trick -- installing it on my wife's Windows 7 laptop (I'm on a Windows XP pc). And it was exactly the same installer files I used on my own machine, having copied them onto a flash drive and using that to install DS on hers.

Of course, it installed perfectly and ran just fine. But there has to be some way of getting it to install on my pc as well.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Temporarily disable your AV and then try starting DS...

It would be nice to know what the original error was. Have you looked in the Event Log to see if you can find it?

Also, what does the DS log file say (it should be in the Applications Data/Daz 3D/Studio4 folder, under your user name/profile). You may want to clear the log (rename the existing one to log.bak) and then try running DS...that way it will be a short log file and you wont have to wade through several days worth of failed attempts to see what's going on.

Thank you; in my haste over the last several days, I pretty much deleted all DAZ Studio files from everywhere in an attempt to install cleanly.

Still doesn't even open, but here is the log file from just now:

Thu Dec 20 2012 21:05:15.328000 (TID 6064): VProject facilities are disabled since no appropriate license found
    Thu Dec 20 2012 21:05:15.328000 (TID 6064): Server started
    Thu Dec 20 2012 21:05:15.328000 (TID 6064): Non-secure port: 27997
    Thu Dec 20 2012 21:05:28.218000 (TID 4764): (UID 488) Client has been disconnected due to the transfer timeout

It still shows up in the Running Processes of the Windows Task Manager for several seconds, and then goes poof. Content Management Service seems to be running fine, though.