Rerig Genesis Clothes

KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
edited December 2012 in The Commons

Hello.

I got deWinter today and to my disappointment, the lower part of both dress and coat has an very lazy rigging, which basically copies Genesis legs (so you can't move the dress independently from genesis legs, and make it flow on the wind, for example), while it would be much more natural to rig flowing lower parts with separate movement bones. Is there a way/route/procedure to take an already made Genesis item, delete some of the bones and add new ones, or I have to rerig it completely?
I know it was possible for Gen 4, but I'm a bit out of loop for Genesis.

(There are also no morphs I can see to fix that problem, either)

Post edited by Kattey on

Comments

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,253
    edited December 1969

Blondie 9999 has a tutorial on rigging original figures. Maybe if you can export the model to an .obj, reimport it and re-rig then. But I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

Are the dress and coat separate? The clay render looks like it's all one model.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 2012

JOdel said:
    Blondie 9999 has a tutorial on rigging original figures. Maybe if you can export the model to an .obj, reimport it and re-rig then. But I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

Are the dress and coat separate? The clay render looks like it's all one model.

You hit it on the head. Totally doable.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/creating_content/rigging/start

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/creating_content/rigging/tutorials/joint_editor/start

To the OP's point. I started to learn this stuff for the same reason. tired of lack of morphs/bones in clothing where needed.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 2012

Are the dress and coat separate? The clay render looks like it’s all one model.

Yes, they are and the dress would look marvelously if it could flow like a real dress. Instead it sort of attached to legs. You can move a bit a hem and shin but this about it.
    You can turn the fur invisible and the coat looks like a very stylish fantasy cloak. There is much of lost opportunity there, with missing morphs and extra-bones.

larsmidnatt, thanks for the links!

Post edited by Kattey on
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:

larsmidnatt, thanks for the links!

no prob and good luck!

• edited December 1969

Since the leg bones are present, the easiest way may be what is described here: http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=181707&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 by Sickleyield. Faster then creating ghost bones, or morphs for that matter. Mainly what you would need starts around the middle of the third post, just a simple renaming of a couple bones and some regrouping if the toes exist also. Let us know :)

• edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Hello.

I got deWinter today and to my disappointment, the lower part of both dress and coat has an very lazy rigging, which basically copies Genesis legs (so you can't move the dress independently from genesis legs, and make it flow on the wind, for example), while it would be much more natural to rig flowing lower parts with separate movement bones. Is there a way/route/procedure to take an already made Genesis item, delete some of the bones and add new ones, or I have to rerig it completely?
    I know it was possible for Gen 4, but I'm a bit out of loop for Genesis.

(There are also no morphs I can see to fix that problem, either)

Does it do better if you collide the dress to a geometry shell of genesis, and then move the shell around/make the shell bigger? (If you use DS 4.5 pro). I've applied textures to the geometry shells. I wonder if they accept poses, too?

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Ebahr said:
    Since the leg bones are present, the easiest way may be what is described here: http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=181707&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 by Sickleyield. Faster then creating ghost bones, or morphs for that matter. Mainly what you would need starts around the middle of the third post, just a simple renaming of a couple bones and some regrouping if the toes exist also. Let us know :)

Beat me to it...I was just about to say rename the leg bones. : )

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

If its so easy why wasn't it done by the creator, I wonder.

edited December 2012

Maybe they didn't know...don't forget that many vendors are still coming to grips with rigging in DS. I only knew about it because I've used Sickle's tutorial to rig a skirt I made.

Edited to add I'm pretty sure that lady littlefox is used to rigging in poser. I knew about the tutorial because I was the one who initially asked her about how to do it. Unless people hang around on the forums a lot they may not be aware of it....

Post edited by Pendraia on
  • edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

Beat me to it...I was just about to say rename the leg bones. : )
    Great minds thnk alike? Although, at this hour in the morning, my min d is doing very little that is anyhting like thinking...

scorpio64dragon - 13 December 2012 04:01 AM
    If its so easy why wasn’t it done by the creator, I wonder.

Could be any number of reasons: personal preference, maybe they didn't catch it right off the bat, maybe they forgot, maybe they just didn't want to really mess with the bones and joint editor. Only one that knows is them. :)

edited December 1969

Ebahr said:

Thanks for sharing that

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846
    edited December 1969

Sounds about normal, some wannabe used the Transfer Utility and shipped the item with that crap & crude WM that's in the projection templates. Those are designed to let Joe Blogs get his content onto Genesis for his own use, but not for shipping as the finished product for other people to use or worse to buy.

edited December 2012

Bejaymac said:
    Sounds about normal, some wannabe used the Transfer Utility and shipped the item with that crap & crude WM that's in the projection templates. Those are designed to let Joe Blogs get his content onto Genesis for his own use, but not for shipping as the finished product for other people to use or worse to buy.

Lady Littlefox is in no way a wannabe to rigging; her Gen3 and Gen4 products are one of the best out there and she usually has very high standards of production, morphs and additional bones and everything.

But because of that I have a distinct feeling that the she wasn't paid (as the product is bought by DAZ3D) nearly enough to get the full rigging out. The existing rigging is good, it is just that it isn't enough of it or of any movement morphs.

Post edited by Kattey on
    edited December 2012

Bejaymac said:

Thing is I've been upset with a few products I've purchased for Genesis from established vendors that made great V4 stuff. The V4 stuff had more morphs and bones, while the Genesis products have been lacking. So I don't think it's wannabes, just a lack of effort. Not an excuse but either...

EDIT: Bah Kattey beat me to it.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 1969

If the dress has a Lthigh and Rthigh group you can rotate that independently from the figure to create movement. I do this a lot on V4 clothes on Genesis. Select hip/pelvis/Lthigh and rotate. It will move independently even though it is fitted to Genesis. Not an ideal solution but you can get some movement.

edited December 2012

Zev0 said:
    If the dress has a Lthigh and Rthigh group you can rotate that independently from the figure to create movement. I do this a lot on V4 clothes on Genesis. Select hip/pelvis/Lthigh and rotate. It will move independently even though it is fitted to Genesis. Not an ideal solution but you can get some movement.

There are, in fact, separate bones for left and right hem (at least in the coat), but for me it isn't enough to fully unlock the potential of a such nice set.
    Post edited by Kattey on
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

Maybe they didn't know...don't forget that many vendors are still coming to grips with rigging in DS. I only knew about it because I've used Sickle's tutorial to rig a skirt I made.

Edited to add I'm pretty sure that lady littlefox is used to rigging in poser. I knew about the tutorial because I was the one who initially asked her about how to do it. Unless people hang around on the forums a lot they may not be aware of it....

Littlefox is an expert at legacy rigging. She's got commercially available tutorials on how to rig a skirt in both DS and Poser (as well as modeling and UV mapping). Genesis seems to have thrown her a curve. Her first Genesis product is the Lady of the Lake outfit, and it's gorgeous. But I don't know how well it sits.

Admittedly, rather a lot of her older products didn't have sit morphs for the ones with long full skirts.

• DogzDogz Posts: 896
    edited December 2012

Speaking only as a buyer here (and not as a Vendor) I will say this much, I always pay close attention to contents of the "What's Included & Features list" for clothing in particular.... and the less text I see listed, the less confident I am about buying it.
    When I find myself making the most basic of basic Adjustment/fit morphs for another vendors clothing, Im not exactly desperate to snap up their other sets.

Post edited by Dogz on
  • Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 1969

This is why 3d-Age and Hongyu are my favourite clothing vendors. You are spoilt with choice morph wise.

edited December 1969

Oh Yes, Hongyu is certainly a personal favorite of mine. :)

• Lady LittlefoxLady Littlefox Posts: 667
    edited December 1969

I am so sorry you're having trouble with deWinter. I'm afraid most of the Genesis figures I've done outside of Lady of the Lake are contract work where someone else is rigging them. I'll pass on this thread to the rigger and maybe he can come peek at the feed back.

*hugs and blushes at the praise* oh I'm by no means an expert at rigging for Genesis... it still gives me fits. Tis why I contracted with Daz to have them take care of the rigging...

Again I'll let him know. Thanks! And always feel free to contact me if there is ever a problem. I may not know the answer but I'll at least try to figure out who to ask ;)

*HUGS*
    Littlefox

edited December 1969

I did say *legacy* rigging. But that certainly explains a lot.

Rigging skirts in Genesis seems to be causing problems for all kinds of people. And while autofit has improved *a lot*, the process of going from legacy rigging to Genesis rigging typically produces major texture distortion in center front of almost any skirt that isn't a micro mini. I suspect someone will work out a fix for it eventually, but I gather we'll be seeing a lot of legs until they do.

edited December 1969

I am so sorry you're having trouble with deWinter. I'm afraid most of the Genesis figures I've done outside of Lady of the Lake are contract work where someone else is rigging them. I'll pass on this thread to the rigger and maybe he can come peek at the feed back.

*hugs and blushes at the praise* oh I'm by no means an expert at rigging for Genesis... it still gives me fits. Tis why I contracted with Daz to have them take care of the rigging...

Again I'll let him know. Thanks! And always feel free to contact me if there is ever a problem. I may not know the answer but I'll at least try to figure out who to ask ;)

*HUGS*
    Littlefox

I just want to say I love your modelling tutorials and on your recommendation bought the UV Layout program which I absolutely love!

Thank you so much for doing them!

HUGS

Pen

edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    I did say *legacy* rigging. But that certainly explains a lot.

Rigging skirts in Genesis seems to be causing problems for all kinds of people. And while autofit has improved *a lot*, the process of going from legacy rigging to Genesis rigging typically produces major texture distortion in center front of almost any skirt that isn't a micro mini. I suspect someone will work out a fix for it eventually, but I gather we'll be seeing a lot of legs until they do.

QFT
    Im doing a skirt at the moment, It not 'a micro belt' yet its not even knee lenght, the autofit results are very poor. Im detatching the leg bones to manually opperated skirt handles and including about 20 movement morphs and possibly some custom JCMs. IMO, its the only way to go.
    You are quite correct that any skirt longer than a micro mini -rigged to the standard Bones of Genesis and using autofit, looks just horrible in anything other than a standing pose. To get it working properly requries a lot of work.
    I totally understand why longer skirts (especially tight fitting ones) are being avoided like the plague by Vendors.

edited December 1969

I am so sorry you're having trouble with deWinter. I'm afraid most of the Genesis figures I've done outside of Lady of the Lake are contract work where someone else is rigging them.
    That is a shame, because when I see your name, I automatically attach the quality to it -_-
    There is no problem with rigging per se, but it is so basic, so lacking of options and morphs to do anything except of standing pretty upright and a bit of walking, that I thought that a set just wasted 80% of its potential. Fur can be made invisible and here are good magic robes right here. The dress is very lovely too. But they both don't move much which had led me to my initial questions.

I'll pass on this thread to the rigger and maybe he can come peek at the feed back.

Thanks!

And {hugs!}