Show us your 3Delight renders

Comments

• This was done with 3Delight and Dreamlight rain and fog. I freaked out that it took four hours to render. It was my first render that took so long and all my previous renders were quick.

That's a nice image.  I really like how that turned out.  :)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Nope...it depends much more on the base shaders.  With modern shaders that can take full advantage of all its features 3DL can achive stunning photorealistic levels regardless of the texture quality.  In Studio, yeah, it's more reliant on high quality textures.

• mjc1016 said:

Nope...it depends much more on the base shaders.  With modern shaders that can take full advantage of all its features 3DL can achive stunning photorealistic levels regardless of the texture quality.  In Studio, yeah, it's more reliant on high quality textures.

I'm confused. Don't have my Daz Studio CGI computer built yet so have to go based on my memory. Can you explain further? Maybe include screen shots? I use only DAZ 4.6 and 3Delight.

The base shaders included in Studio...the Daz Default, omUberSurface and AoA SSS are all 'old school' shaders that don't use the advances in 3DL over the last few years.  One of the consequences of this is that they are much more reliant on the quality of the texture images to produce photorealistic results than the Iray or even more modern 3DL shaders.  In fact most of what is considered 'quality'...extremely high detail levels, perfect 'tonality' and so on, are actually detriments in a PBR/Physically Plausible* shader (a very good case of less is more).  Modern shaders rely on the algorithms built into the shader/renderer to supply the 'realism', as opposed to trying to 'bake' it into the textures.  In fact the algorithms/models used in 3DL and those used in Iray are often the same (ie.  they come from the same academic papers...the actual implementations are probably different, but the math behind them is the same).

It also extends to lighting...things like accurate fall off, distance based illumination, 'bounce' light/'global' occlusion/global ambient (environmental) light with no need for 'extras', actuall emissive surfaces and 'conservation of energy' all built in.  The modern 3DL lights do most of that without needing to resort to 'trickery'.  In other words, a 'proper' modern 3DL environment light will do all of it and allow you to drop in an HDRI to get image based lighting (just like Iray's 'dome' setting).

The biggest difference, when the dust settles, is that Iray can do it on the GPU while 3DL is strictly using the CPU...except in Studio itself, the lack of the more modern shaders raises the difficulty bar on achieving 'photorealism' using 3DL.

*Physically Plausible is 3DL's terminology that basically means the shader is using 'real world' models/algorithms, like a 'PBR" (physics based rendering) shader.

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035
    edited December 2016

I have really liked all the renders. I do use 3DL also, mostly when i started out earlier this year rendering I had an older machine and it would die on me trying Iray. I did get forced to upgrade. I just have not tried Iray out since. I am still working on lighting and such. I have a mix of new and older items in this scene.  I made a bigger pic and added it. :)

Alfred.png
    500 x 809 - 507K
    Post edited by Liana on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

It's a little trickier to not get blow out but also have adequate lighting in 3DL.

One approach I generally use is to render at 2 or 4x normal size, convert to 16 bit, then shrink. I THINK that helps create a deeper dynamic range that can be manipulated with less problems, particularly to brighten dark areas. I then convert back to 8 bit...

I still find 3DL a bit weird some times. Like, the default Reptilian skin looked horrible. I noticed the skin uses subsurface scattering. Which, for a scaly creature, seemed... odd. Switching it off and upping diffuse seemed to do the trick.

Scalelands Lowborn Summons.png
    1080 x 1080 - 2M
  • mmalbertmmalbert Posts: 412

Enjoying all the different renders and styles. Please keep posting!

I have toons, a floofy dress (I love big elaborate dresses), and one with a really great freebie (the human tree.)

Konrad-vs-the-Toon-Horse.jpg
    1075 x 635 - 299K
    SadieSamSnowman.jpg
    900 x 900 - 455K
    GoldenHour_Small.jpg
    742 x 900 - 666K
    Bound-Small.jpg
    900 x 900 - 654K
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    edited December 2016

Here s one I did for render of the month a couple months ago rendered in Daz 4.9 3Delight

3 For Girl Power At The Comedy Spot.png
    1500 x 927 - 2M
    Post edited by Saphirewild on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

Some great renders here, especially the toons!!

Here is probably my best 3Delight render, it's old, but I thought they might be of interest to someone. I remember spending about 10-15 hours tweaking materials/shaders. I finally got the AoA lights just before Iray came out, and haven't ever used them. May need to try them now. I just hesitate using 3Delight because actually pushes my computer harder than Iray (gaming laptop - so GPU cooling is outstanding), and it's a lot more work for me to get the results I want than Iray. But maybe I'll give it a shot with AoA's lights.

Bridget Practicing Her Craft

• GoneGone Posts: 833

Here is an experiment I did almost 4 years ago. The skin is the AoA surface shader and there are no maps - period.

Just colours and strength sliders.

DarkSkin.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 109K
  • DustRider said:

Some great renders here, especially the toons!!

Here is probably my best 3Delight render, it's old, but I thought they might be of interest to someone. I remember spending about 10-15 hours tweaking materials/shaders. I finally got the AoA lights just before Iray came out, and haven't ever used them. May need to try them now. I just hesitate using 3Delight because actually pushes my computer harder than Iray (gaming laptop - so GPU cooling is outstanding), and it's a lot more work for me to get the results I want than Iray. But maybe I'll give it a shot with AoA's lights.

Bridget Practicing Her Craft

She is lovely. I like the leather and metal textures there. I was also going to get AoA's lights but decided to stick with my 4 point lighting or use UE2 lights and a sun.

I REALLY like the AoA lights. I wouldn't give even quasirealism a shot without the benefits.

90% of my non-sketch 3DL renders are AoA distant + AoA Ambient, and nothing else.

• edited December 2016
    I have the AoA fog / haze cameras and absolutely love how they render.

Recently got the shaders for SSS and itchin' to use them.

Post edited by Barefoot Upto My Soul on
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    edited December 2016

Here is one I did for the RRRR contest a while back, I think last year in 3Delight.

My 5 Wishes Alladan Sequal 5.jpg
    1500 x 927 - 341K
    Post edited by Saphirewild on
  • LianaLiana Posts: 1,035
    edited December 2016

Just fun to see what people are working on. Adding a few more. I think I like the almost painted look that I get from using 3DL. :)

native woman maia n fawn .png
    512 x 768 - 714K
    native archer woman.png
    500 x 809 - 744K
    Post edited by Liana on
  • Liana said:

Just fun to see what people are working on. Adding a few more. I think I like the almost painted look that I get from using 3DL. :)

Those are lovely
  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    mmalbert said:

I have toons, a floofy dress (I love big elaborate dresses), and one with a really great freebie (the human tree.)Very 

Very nice! I especially love these one-panel "stories" you manage to tell, very well-done!

-- Walt 

edited December 2016

Took a while, but finished this one overnight (I rendered it at something like 6000x4000 to get good detail and dynamic depth)

3DL render. The sky, horizon hills, and water is from http://www.daz3d.com/iray-skydome-super-pak , which I find works REALLY well converted to 3DL.
    The gazebo itself: http://www.daz3d.com/shaded-haven-gazebo-cafe

Gazebo scene.png
    1748 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by Oso3D on
  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

Very nice Will, as are the many picts here (just stepping in after a few days and don't have time to comment on all of the awesome pictures). I especially appreciate the variety of renders; by focusing on the render engine instead of a particular style we get a really nice smörgåsbord (fantasy, scifi, toon, realistic, people, environments, etc.) which makes it more interesting than some of the other single-focus threads.

-- Walt Sterdan

Hair today...

HairToday.jpg
    600 x 900 - 74K
  • Gone said:

Hair today...

Where did you get that top she is wearing? Nice render, could use a hair light or back light or maybe a light on the background to separate her from the background. Looking at this on the cell phone in bright daylight so I might be wrong.
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,730

So it hit me, chatting with KK elsewhere on the forum, that photorealistic 3DL _can't_ be faster than Iray in CPU mode. Duh. So, nuts to that, I went back to AoA Ambient. Not photorealistic. But pretty darn nice, I think.

Nice indeed...

Gone said:

Hair today...

Where did you get that top she is wearing? Nice render, could use a hair light or back light or maybe a light on the background to separate her from the background. Looking at this on the cell phone in bright daylight so I might be wrong.

The shirt is from Kimberly for the original Genesis (the character is also G1).

I was trying to copy the style of a photo I had seen where the model's hair blended with the background - that's why no backlighting was used.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,730
    Taozen said:

Couple of toons:

The kid in me is looking forward to more of those for a story.

Maybe some day, when I get more time...

• Took a while, but finished this one overnight (I rendered it at something like 6000x4000 to get good detail and dynamic depth)

3DL render. The sky, horizon hills, and water is from http://www.daz3d.com/iray-skydome-super-pak , which I find works REALLY well converted to 3DL.

It's really a beautiful scene.

The skydome texture seems to have been a JPEG that is too lo-res for the image size, though crying

• mori_mann said:

I haven't upgraded from 4.6 yet (old computer, lovingly dubbed either the Coffee Grinder or the Scrap Heap, depending on its mood and cooperation), so all my renders are in 3Delight. It serves me well, bot for dark interior scenes and bright sunny days outside :)

Retierment Plan

Such an awesome image! It's always a challenge to make a darker type of render/photo/painting that doesn't just look "underexposed" but actually conveys the idea of "darkness", usually through expertly placed contrast.

I use both render engines, but have been mucking about in Iray a bit more lately.  Ami didn't like Iray at all so I did her in 3Delight lol.

wsterdan said:

An older quickie (2012), done on my old MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo, 8 Gig of RAM), approximately 15 minutes of rendering.

I love the cohesive palettes of these two images. One is warm, the other is cool.

Took a while, but finished this one overnight (I rendered it at something like 6000x4000 to get good detail and dynamic depth)

It's really a beautiful scene.

The skydome texture seems to have been a JPEG that is too lo-res for the image size, though crying

Psssst...3DL has been able to use exr/hdr format image files for quite some time...so when using a HDRI that is supposed to be in the Iray dome, just drop it on to the skydome you are using.

• mjc1016 said:

Psssst...3DL has been able to use exr/hdr format image files for quite some time...so when using a HDRI that is supposed to be in the Iray dome, just drop it on to the skydome you are using.

I know =) But do you happen to have that set, Mike? Is it really an HDR? Because it looks LOVELY in Will's thumbnail but blocky in the full render =/ (and even in the promos, now that I've checked)

I was hoping for something out of the ordinary with the map dimensions listed there...

*grumpy* Looks like the only guaranteed solution for what I want is to dedicate several weekends to rendering huuuuuge HDR skydomes out of Vue.

• mmalbert said:

I have toons, a floofy dress (I love big elaborate dresses), and one with a really great freebie (the human tree.)

Michele, now that you've got Konrad's adventure up here, you should post the zombie =)

At one point I was rendering some panels for Iray superpak using Carrara. Maybe should do that again for this purpose...

(checks)

Holy poot, you're right. They ARE jpgs. That's a little silly. Guess I'll roll some of my own. ;)

This discussion has been closed.