Show us your 3Delight renders

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,908

Heh heh.

Playing around with LAMH... here's Genesis Troll with the freebie primate fur from the site

Primate fur troll.png
    1080 x 1080 - 2M
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2016

Here's a test render for StrangeFate's as yet unreleased fantasy armor named Kadis

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • That Kadis looks like what my wife wears when she is ready to join me in the bedroom. Of course in my home, I always get the last word... "yes dear... you're right dear, again... as usual... I'm sorry".
  • mjc1016 said:

Actually, you don't even have to do that.   Now you can create a 'mapless' preset that leaves the currently used images alone.  Just expand all the check boxes when saving a shader preset and untick 'Image' in everything you want to reuse the currently used image in...Diffuse being the primary one...bump/displacement/normal being the next obvious choice.  Conversely, 'blanking' the entry before saving and leaving the check mark in place will 'blank' the corresponding entry when applying it.  You will still have the option for ctl (cmd) clicking to replace/ignore, but if the preset is set correctly, it won't be needed.

Good point!

I haven't tested this with shader mixer stuff, though. It's all so damn fragile, as you know.

mjc1016 said:

LINEAR WORKFLOW...or more precisely, lack of it.  All the calculations done by the renderer and shaders are linear math...the non-corrected/non linear workflow textures will throw a big wrench in those caclulations.  One result...very, very reliant on very finicky lighting setups.

I'll just stick my fingers in my ears and pretend I don't know anyone who is _not_ using linear workflow LOL La, la, la...

In all honesty, folks, Mike is right.

This thread started by Parris isn't sticky "just 'cause", it's really important if you want to minimise those "what the hell" moments: www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54913/approaching-realism-in-daz-studio-and-gamma-correction-demystified

• This is my very first render learning 3Delight lighting and posing.

This is so cute =) And quite nice for the "very first render" in terms of lighting!

• Heh heh.

Playing around with LAMH... here's Genesis Troll with the freebie primate fur from the site

Feeling a lot better about 3DL, thanks for all the feedback that got me here. ;)

(Postwork entirely to manage tone map)

These characters are full of... character. =) They'd make fitting adversaries.

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035

Here's a test render for StrangeFate's as yet unreleased fantasy armor named Kadis

She's looks pretty great in that Bastion.

Another character.

India Jones.png
    1080 x 1080 - 2M
  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

Love the mummy in the background, nicely done. wink

-- Walt Sterdan

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,820
    mjc1016 said:

Here's the latest from a simple 'test' render...

That's the old Daz Squirrel with a LAMH hair, edited texture, instance leaf litter, DoF and Kettu's raytracer scripted rendering with GI.  In around 25 mins,,,it was a lot less without the DoF.

that came out really nice, I had looked at the little guy when deciding for my freebies but decided for something else as the fur seemed not as convincing, now I never played with LAMH ( only have the free player anyway) but this makes a huge difference. Nice DOF by the way.

I played again with an underwater scene. there is some render artifact on her belly that only happened in the large scale render I made of it and therefore notied far too late. I decided to ignore it for now but I was wondering what  happenend there.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    kyoto kid said:
    Llynara said:
    kyoto kid said:

...that would be cool.  I have a good number of his water, and smoke brushes, as well as the snow and rain ones.  Some of his products are in a different format than .abr and don't import into Gimp.

I have no idea where all the brush settings are in Gimp. I took a meme I saved and drew on it. It looks horrible, but the brushes do seem to work! 

...thanks. Love the message too. I often feel that way a lot.

I pretty much always feel this way! HA!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,707
    mjc1016 said:

Here's the latest from a simple 'test' render...

That's the old Daz Squirrel with a LAMH hair, edited texture, instance leaf litter, DoF and Kettu's raytracer scripted rendering with GI.  In around 25 mins,,,it was a lot less without the DoF.

...that looks just as good as a number  pics Ive seen rendered in Iray.  Is the raytrace GI script something that is available (not really up on scripting myself)?

I'm loving the holiday free stuff!

Here are two items I got...

Onward Tortie.png
    1080 x 1080 - 2M

Tha is a neat render Will, I had that turle so many times on my list for the freebie choice but yet evrtime something else won.

• Linwelly said:

I played again with an underwater scene. there is some render artifact on her belly that only happened in the large scale render I made of it and therefore notied far too late. I decided to ignore it for now but I was wondering what  happenend there.

That thing on her belly looks like a belly button. It keeps things inside from falling out. Mostly decorative though. Kidding aside, the anomily above her belly button looks like ripple from the light through the water. Nice render btw.

Hehe..cute.

• I'm loving the holiday free stuff!

Sweet =)

• Linwelly said:

Could the artefact be related to the blend between the body and the tail? Some transparency gone wrong. Have you checked if the map got a 1 or a "0" gamma correction value assigned?

If you ever decide to re-render, may I suggest you try adding a cookie light with a caustic texture? There is a non-commercial caustic generator here: https://www.dualheights.se/caustics/

• nattaruknattaruk Posts: 527
    edited December 2016

All my renders are 3Delight. With no nvidia graphics card iray is not a viable option for me. I used to do a lot (as in I have several worn out cameras) of B&W photography because I used to enjoy darkroom work. Realism was, however, never a prime requirement of my photography. Unfortunately health issues now mostly preclude photography and so I make renders. Here's a recent effort.

agnes melodramatic.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by nattaruk on
  • nattaruk said:

All my renders are 3Delight. With no nvidia graphics card iray is not a viable option for me. I used to do a lot (as in I have several worn out cameras) of B&W photography because I used to enjoy darkroom work. Realism was, however, never a prime requirement of my photography. Unfortunately health issues now mostly preclude photography and so I make renders. Here's a recent effort.

I like this lighting and the shadows. Very... photographic.
    Linwelly said:

Could the artefact be related to the blend between the body and the tail? Some transparency gone wrong. Have you checked if the map got a 1 or a "0" gamma correction value assigned?

If you ever decide to re-render, may I suggest you try adding a cookie light with a caustic texture? There is a non-commercial caustic generator here: https://www.dualheights.se/caustics/

I have been thinking that it might be the body tail transition, I just would have expexted that it shows in the test renders as well. Where do I check for gamma correction value? I have not see that type in  the surfaces tab

Thanks for the link to the caustics generator, I will try to understand that thing during the upcoming holidays. I ewas trying to emulate some caustics by giving the water surface a displacement map and a refraction value but its not as present as i would have liked, it worked better with the bottom of the see.

Linwelly said:

That thing on her belly looks like a belly button. It keeps things inside from falling out. Mostly decorative though. Kidding aside, the anomily above her belly button looks like ripple from the light through the water. Nice render btw.

Thanks a lot... now one could start marvel about whether mermaids are mammals as well or not...

Trying out Eliot hair, also experimenting some more with getting the skin to look to my satisfaction.

So far I've had good luck with UberSurface2, no SSS, shutting off specular and instead using a teeensy bit of reflection (like 2-3% with about 50% blur, and 10% blur on lips). It's not perfect, but I like the look way better than the skins as is.

Opener Contemplative.png
    1080 x 1080 - 2M
    edited December 2016

I have a couple of renders I have been working on sort of off and on when I get frustrated with them. I am having issues with an animal texture and one character skin (V4). Anyways will post them both are done in 3DL. If I need to remove them for some specific reason it is ok too.

Harvest day.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 381K
    Going For a RIde 2016.png
    800 x 640 - 804K
    Post edited by Liana on
  • I see the issues such as poke throughs Liana, but no need to remove. I'll respond in a couple of days how to rerender or render something new that will help you with some of these. For the moment, I am too close to my data limit and need to log off. These are nice though.
    I see the issues such as poke throughs Liana, but no need to remove. I'll respond in a couple of days how to rerender or render something new that will help you with some of these. For the moment, I am too close to my data limit and need to log off. These are nice though.

Thanks Barefoot. Yea, there is poke through too on the one item. I am still going to keep working on them. :)

• Trying out Eliot hair, also experimenting some more with getting the skin to look to my satisfaction.

So far I've had good luck with UberSurface2, no SSS, shutting off specular and instead using a teeensy bit of reflection (like 2-3% with about 50% blur, and 10% blur on lips). It's not perfect, but I like the look way better than the skins as is.

Have you tried using Fresnel? The eyes would really benefit from Fresnel, too. It's "artistic" in the Ubers, not IoR-based. I'm attaching a sort of chart from my mega-tutorial that shows how those values interact.

For US2 skin, I used Fresnel falloffs in the 2...3 range with strengths dialed slightly down (into the 90s), and with a little sharpness added (with 100% Fresnel strength, sharpness generally kills any direct highlight, but with lower strength, even 15% sharpness can look good).

Then you can keep your reflection at white point and 100%.

UberSurfaceLine_Fresnel.png
    3253 x 2293 - 2M
  • Linwelly said:

Where do I check for gamma correction value? I have not see that type in  the surfaces tab

It's in the "image editor" you get when clicking for a map in the surfaces tab. DS generally guesses fine, but often misunderstands opacity maps and thinks they are colour maps ("0"). They should be linear (1).

Linwelly said:

I ewas trying to emulate some caustics by giving the water surface a displacement map and a refraction value

It wouldn't give you caustics in 3Delight this way without a few other technical efforts. Besides, VFX professionals make a point of "when you can simulate caustics through a projection light, do it".

IE_Opacity.png
    522 x 327 - 59K
  • Mjc's Anna wearing the Xmas freebie dress by Fisty & Darc, having fun with a few other props from the PA gift thread... custom RSL shaders all the way.

Click for bigger =)

This discussion has been closed.