Marvelous Designer 6 (personal) now on Steam

mrinalmrinal Posts: 641
edited November 2016 in The Commons

Today Marvelous Designer got released on steam at a special discounted rate of 30% which seems cheaper than the same discounted rate on their MD store using the coupon code. Note that this copy may not be upgradeable even on Steam and it is uncertain if they would allow the Steam edition to be upgraded through their own store.

But at around $220 (converted US price) at Steam vs $385 at the store for the same perpetual license, should I let that concern hold me back?

md6-steam.png
645 x 128 - 14K
Post edited by mrinal on

Comments

• Even at 30% off, it's still out of my price range.  I put it on my wishlist, though, in case it has a major sale in the future.

• mrinalmrinal Posts: 641
    edited November 2016

Has it ever been released at a higher discount on their own store? Given their competition (or more certainly, the lack of it) at that price point how likely is it that they are going to slash their prices further?

Given that other apps like Substance Designer 5 and 3D-Coat historically had their maximum discounts at around 30% despite having competiton from established products.

Edit: Seems that during 2014 Black Friday they did offer 50% store wide discount

Post edited by mrinal on
  • I got the one from the store, hate steam for these type of apps. But you still need an internet connection to run it. But still a great price look forward to using it in my work flow !

• I got the one from the store, hate steam for these type of apps. But you still need an internet connection to run it. But still a great price look forward to using it in my work flow !

One could try running it without Steam.  There are ways around that.  It doesn't work for every application, but most standalone software seems to work well without the Steam client running in the background.

• Hmmm wonder what else they got on sale might have a poke around !

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,627

...yeah don't like having to be online while working especially on a third party site through a browser that both take up processor and graphics resources.. I imagine with the version directly from the vendor, it just needs to "phone home" now and then to verify the licence when it is launched as well as for access to upgrades.

• The one on Steam has a different EULA, here's a noteworthy part:

A version of Marvelous Designer 6 for Steam is available to purchase through Valve’s Corporation’s Steam store.

If Licensee has purchased such version, Licensee warrants and represents to CLO as a condition of the Agreement that: (i) Licensee is a natural person; and (ii) Licensee will use the Software strictly through Steam and only for personal, recreational and non-commercial use. The latest version upgrade isn’t available but Patches and minor updates are provided free of charge with a Steam Perpetual license.

• I think most people know you can't use as is, but you should able to use it as a reference !

edited November 2016

The one on Steam has a different EULA, here's a noteworthy part:

A version of Marvelous Designer 6 for Steam is available to purchase through Valve’s Corporation’s Steam store.

If Licensee has purchased such version, Licensee warrants and represents to CLO as a condition of the Agreement that: (i) Licensee is a natural person; and (ii) Licensee will use the Software strictly through Steam and only for personal, recreational and non-commercial use. The latest version upgrade isn’t available but Patches and minor updates are provided free of charge with a Steam Perpetual license.

Here's the official response from the Steam thread http://steamcommunity.com/app/528100/discussions/0/208684375429421187/

Dear all.

Please be advise that our MD Steam version is designed with none-major up-gradable.
    However, the current version is available to receive those upcoming minor update contents.
    Other thing for commercial use, please understand as long as the user currently registered in business area, they are strictly unavailable to use our STEAM version but freelancer and personal hobbyist.
    If you guys need further assistance, please contact to [email protected]

Best.

Post edited by mrinal on
  • Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited November 2016
    mrinal said:

Here's the official response from the Steam thread http://steamcommunity.com/app/528100/discussions/0/208684375429421187/

Dear all.

Please be advise that our MD Steam version is designed with none-major up-gradable.
    However, the current version is available to receive those upcoming minor update contents.
    Other thing for commercial use, please understand as long as the user currently registered in business area, they are strictly unavailable to use our STEAM version but freelancer and personal hobbyist.

Best.

OK lets get this straight once and for all. That way there is no misunderstanding !

1. Steam version can not be used for commercial use.

2. MD Store personal version can not be used for commercial use.

3. MD Store Enterprise can be used for commercial use.

4. Gray area Personal version export garments as obj and new topology made for it. Legal to use commercially  Yes or No.

5. Gray area Personal version export garments as obj and used as a reference in the background for other cloths.

So that would be the main questions I would have?

Post edited by Midnight_stories on

I think we need to get the legal interpretations of the terms "freelancer" and "user currently registered in business area" as I interpret from the official response that "freelancers" can still use it. I guess it would be best if those questions are directed to their support mail id mentioned above.

• OK I'll do it and come back with the answer straight from them. As this could effect a lot of vendor to !

• mrinal said:

Dear all.

Best.

OK lets get this straight once and for all. That way there is no misunderstanding !

1. Steam version can not be used for commercial use.

2. MD Store personal version can not be used for commercial use.

3. MD Store Enterprise can be used for commercial use.

4. Gray area Personal version export garments as obj and new topology made for it. Legal to use commercially  Yes on No.

5. Gray area Personal version export garments as obj and used as a reference in the background for other cloths.

So that would be the main questions I would have?

CLO has said, in repsonse to other queries, that the Personal license from their stroe may be used by freelancers, sole traders for commercial work - just not as part of a corporate entity. I'm not sure what they mean for the Steam version - first it seems a clear no commercial, then it says freelancers are OK so that's really confusing.

• I will get the answer straight from them and post back here or might get them to post themself. Once it out in the open then it will be there for everyone to see.

edited November 2016

So, as I understand, its ok if a freelancer develops a clothing item independently and sells it off at a marketplace. But what if the same freelancer picks up a small contract to develop only a few pieces of clothing for a larger project? What if the freelancer's offered pieces of clothing get picked up from the marketplace and get used in a larger project without the knowledge of the freelancer?

A can see more holes than a sieve in that usage restriction.

Post edited by mrinal on
  • So what you are saying is if I'm a vendor and I sell through the DAZ store it's OK.

But If I sell it to DAZ, it breaches the EULA for the freelancer!

Man it's getting more complicated :(

Please don't quote me on this but it seems more like those items cannot be offered under "game developer license" or "extended use" license (at Rendo) or anythng on those lines. I am just trying to read between the lines from the perspective of a content developer and also from the perspective of a product developer (MD in this case).

• I added the question to the list, and I did ask them to come in and answer the questions directly in the forum. So we shall see !

edited November 2016

If my above presumption is confirmed then you would not be able to sell those items to Daz to be resold as Daz Originals as DOs are in turn made available as part of game developer license or include those items in your own game developer license. Not sure how the later can be enforced at Daz but Rendo seems to be at an advantage here with their individual item extended license provision.

Extrapolating the above, if a PA has ever sold a game developer license through Daz then within the current provisions of game developer license (correct me?) they will not be able to sell any items developed using the Steam version here again.

Too much speculations for the first day of sales I guess ;)

Post edited by mrinal on
  • Hi there,I have tried Marvellous designer and loved it,can anyone advise would it be worth buying the MD version over the Steam version even though it is more expensive.It would mostly to make my own clothes for Daz.I dont really understand Steam although te price looks good

• The main confirmed drawback of the Steam version is that it will not be upgradeable to the next full release (presumably you'd have to buy a new license, from Steam if they make it available that way or direct from Clo3D). However, we are still awaiting clarification on the usage rights so if you see yourself making any kind of commercial use of the output you may want to wait on that.

• JeremyDJeremyD Posts: 265

Sadly still out of my price range. *Sigh*

edited November 2016

The main confirmed drawback of the Steam version is that it will not be upgradeable to the next full release (presumably you'd have to buy a new license, from Steam if they make it available that way or direct from Clo3D).

That they have clearly stated in their EULA as well in their comments. But as I already mentioned in my thread at Steam, even at $220 per major version, it is almost at par with the version upgrades at 50% discount (assuming full price of $550). Again, from what I read in their forums, their upgrade pricing has been pretty inconsistent across the last 5 major releases to make any conclusive statement. May be those who have been using it for a long time can provide more details about their upgrade pricing strategy.

EDIT: The $220 is a promotional price after 30% discount over the original price of $320. So yes, it may sound a genuine drawback in case the discount is not available during the next major version upgrade.

However, we are still awaiting clarification on the usage rights so if you see yourself making any kind of commercial use of the output you may want to wait on that.

It would be interesting to understand what made them reach out to Steam in the first place. Do they want to move the retail customer base to Steam (leveraging its multi-platform digital distribution, DRM and anti-piracy measures) and maintain only enterprise customers through their own store? A lot of it sounds aligned to that as they do not want the Steam version to be used by any commercial business entity. If thats the case, then it would definitely make sense for Daz to reach out to them to seek clarification on behalf of the entire community here and update the EULA and the game developer licenses so that using MD remains a viable option for content developers here.

Post edited by mrinal on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

It seems as a freelancer you could sell in the DAZ Store or the Content Paradise or elsewhere or you could even sell it to DAZ or others as a buyout as that is still freelancing, but DAZ 3D themselves wouldn't get that personal use price for their in-house workers to use MD. DAZ 3D would have to buy the commercial license for that.

• I got this from the site 

• There is no difference between Personal and Enterprise License other than it is for personal use or use in companies. Like other software, we frequently check the use of Personal License in companies, which will be in breach of the License Agreement. If you are a freelancer, you are eligable for the use of Personal License, however if you are to continue the use of Marvelous Designer in Enterprise conditions, you will have to purchase an Enterprise License.

•  

• I also read somewhere that there are no free upgrades to MD you always have to rebuy a new issue,so I cant see any diffrence there.My problem is I dont know is Steam safe and reliable do you have to pay a fee to join it.

Yeah, from what I've seen the upgrade discounts on Marvelous Designer is minimal for it from 3 to 4 and from 4 to 5 and from 5 to 6 now, so if you want MD the best time to buy is a sale such as the one they are having now.

It seems as a freelancer you could sell in the DAZ Store or the Content Paradise or elsewhere or you could even sell it to DAZ or others as a buyout as that is still freelancing, but DAZ 3D themselves wouldn't get that personal use price for their in-house workers to use MD. DAZ 3D would have to buy the commercial license for that.

It is yet to be seen if the MD EULA provisions allow businesses like Daz3D to outsource those content development to freelancers instead of developing them in-house. But given the difference in pricing between personal and enterprise editions I will not be surprised if they are considering that possibility.

edited November 2016
    mrinal said:

It is yet to be seen if the MD EULA provisions allow businesses like Daz3D to outsource those content development to freelancers instead of developing them in-house. But given the difference in pricing between personal and enterprise editions I will not be surprised if they are considering that possibility.

I didn't say DAZ outsourced work - I said DAZ offers to buy a product. Those are entirely two different things. 

However, even if DAZ outsources to freelancers, the freelancers are still freelancers and have to pay all their social insurance, health, unemployment, and other taxes from the payment for work from DAZ and often, other employers, so they are not employeees of DAZ but freelancers. That is the reality of their work situation. So for that case I don't know what MD's position would be as I am not MD management but logically it is the same independent self-employed work situation for the freelancer that the MD Personal License allows freelancers to earn money from. That's a legal definition for tax and social civil health and security purposes, not something so nebulous as a SW EULA.

I think also, say you are a freelancer that has hit on some huge success and make a million a year, well I think MD would want you to buy a commercial license so I haven't read their EULA but there is an income level in Unity and DAZ 3D Game Development licenses where you no longer are allowed to claim you are a freelancer once you exceed that income level, MD probably has the same income trigger.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,145

I also read somewhere that there are no free upgrades to MD you always have to rebuy a new issue,so I cant see any diffrence there.My problem is I dont know is Steam safe and reliable do you have to pay a fee to join it.

Steam is pretty reliable....there is no fee to join Steam either. Having said that, I am in the U.S. so I do NOT know if there are any other taxes, etc charged to those outside the U.S. Hope that helps :).

Laurie