The Displacement tool is SOOO COOL!

wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I'm amazed... sorry, I know this is lame, but I get off on the little things...

santahat.jpg
452 x 452 - 112K

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Displacement tool??

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

I mean, in the materials... that's how I got the fuzz on the hat :)

edited December 1969

LOL yeah displacement is often missed out.....it can make a huge difference at times to the overall look of an image.

edited December 1969

I only figured it out because I saw some promos for the Fantasy Super suit package, and was wondering how the heck they got those fuzzy materials... thought it was modelled, then I saw there were no aditional models in the package and thought... could it be displacement? Guess so! You reelly gotta dial it up, though... this has a basic noise map with displacement at 600%

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

so how do you do that? I don't even know where to find displacement?

edited December 1969

It's under material settings. Usually just below Bump. Like I said, had to dial it way up for this... when I post the Christmas Katya materials with this hat you'll have opportunity to look at what i did.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

that would be on the surface tab? Sorry I haven't discovered where alot of things are yet

edited December 1969

Yes Surfaces Pane (Tab) Displacement in Daz Studio works on the basis that on a displacement map 128, 128,128 grey is neutral, black in inward displacement ans white outward

edited December 1969

That RGB value of 128/128/128 is VERY important to remember!!!! It allows you to displace parts of a surface material, while leaving other parts alone!

edited December 1969

http://www.ShareCG.com/v/66147/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Christmas-for-Katya

It's up... let me know if it's missing anything.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,878
    edited December 1969

One the super suit, the fuzzy look is a special material made by one of the PAs, Fisty I think and I dont think it relies on displacement. Though displacement would be the default method.

edited December 1969

Okay... oh well... it still got me to where I'm at :)

I'll bet it's basically a displacement shader of some sort or other... Fisty made the best glass and water materials, I"d be lost without them! Forget where I got them, though...

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    One the super suit, the fuzzy look is a special material made by one of the PAs, Fisty I think and I dont think it relies on displacement. Though displacement would be the default method.

That's surprising Matty as when I imported it in to shader mixer it looked similar to the network that I set up with Yacomo and Syndaryl's help so I'd assumed it had been Mariah who made the materials...