What database does the content manager use?

Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,603

Does anyone know what database engine the content manger uses? Or is it custom made by Daz?

I'm asking because I want to know if there are any publicly available tools to check the database contents.

I started having problems with Categories in Daz Studio a while ago. At first I couldn't add new categories and I was gettiing errors in the content manager log saying varchar data was corrupted but I could still use my existing categories. Now it isn't showing any categories at all.

I've bought a lot of stuff from Daz (and other places) and I spent a long time setting up those categories. I don't want to reset the database and start again until I've tried everything I can to fix it.

Comments

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Does anyone know what database engine the content manger uses? Or is it custom made by Daz?

I'm asking because I want to know if there are any publicly available tools to check the database contents.

I started having problems with Categories in Daz Studio a while ago. At first I couldn't add new categories and I was gettiing errors in the content manager log saying varchar data was corrupted but I could still use my existing categories. Now it isn't showing any categories at all.

I've bought a lot of stuff from Daz (and other places) and I spent a long time setting up those categories. I don't want to reset the database and start again until I've tried everything I can to fix it.

ValentinaDB.

Kendall

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,603
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the info Kendall.

I was hoping for an open database engine like SQLite. I've had a quick look at the ValentinaDB website, very corporate, lots of stuff about licences, I don't have much hope of free tools for this.

I've done some more checking and found that Carra 8.5 can still see my categories although Daz Studio 4.5 can't. Maybe it is a Daz Studio problem. Does anyone have any ideas of ways to investigate this?

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the info Kendall.

I was hoping for an open database engine like SQLite. I've had a quick look at the ValentinaDB website, very corporate, lots of stuff about licences, I don't have much hope of free tools for this.

I've done some more checking and found that Carra 8.5 can still see my categories although Daz Studio 4.5 can't. Maybe it is a Daz Studio problem. Does anyone have any ideas of ways to investigate this?

For an individual, the cost of a License isn't too terribly bad. In fact, if you can swing the cost one of their "mega-bundles" (especially when thy are on sale) the cost is quite reasonable. There are other reasons not to like vDB though.

Kendall

edited December 1969

For an individual, the cost of a License isn’t too terribly bad. In fact, if you can swing the cost one of their “mega-bundles” (especially when thy are on sale) the cost is quite reasonable. There are other reasons not to like vDB though.

Kendall

It would be reasonable if I was developing applications with it, but I'm not paying $99.99 for a one-off investigation that might just show that I can't fix the problem. Looks like it's time to accept that I'll just have to enter a few thousand items again.

• edited December 1969

I just had a look at the Valentina db site and their query tool appears to be free. http://www.valentina-db.com/en/valentina-studio-overview
    I'm going to try it some time this week as I want to run query for hair products that I've categorised in more than one place but only categorised their related mats under one of them.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited February 2013

I already downloaded and installed their free software, it wont open the DAZ database files. There is an error message, but no explanation for it.

It seemed like a good idea to me as well :)

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
    edited December 1969

I think the free offer is recent. I had an email from them recently saying "Valetina DB now free" (I must have registered for something when I was poking around on their site).

My problem with the content manager is still ongoing, it must be a quirk of my computer or there would be lots of people compaining in the forums. The only good thing I have found is that if I run the "export user data" option in database managment then the next time I re-install Studio and re-import the metadata I get my categories back.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I got an email about it this week, and I downloaded it 2 days ago. It wont open the DAZ DB files at all.

You are welcome to try, maybe I didn't download the correct package, but I just wanted a nosy at the files to see how they worked, and if I could change anything to suit me. If you manage to open them, please let me know, I would like to know how to do it.