The Joy of Bundles!

twallingtwalling Posts: 241
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I just wanted to make a post saying how awesome it is when you buy a big bundle, like say the Horse 2 Pro Bundle, to have to run all those separate installers and have to click on all those options over and over again!

OK... I'm happy with the bundle, but there MUST be some way to automate going through that install process. I press the same danged things every time!

Does anybody have a macro or something they've written to do just this? It's really getting old, after all these years.

Comments

• FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,038
    edited December 1969

twalling said:
    I just wanted to make a post saying how awesome it is when you buy a big bundle, like say the Horse 2 Pro Bundle, to have to run all those separate installers and have to click on all those options over and over again!

OK... I'm happy with the bundle, but there MUST be some way to automate going through that install process. I press the same danged things every time!

Does anybody have a macro or something they've written to do just this? It's really getting old, after all these years.

I bought a ton of stuff in this last sale, and it took HOURS to download and install it all. It's like going grocery shopping and buying 70 products and having to go back and forth to the grocery store 70 times to bring home one product at a time. Like, what's the point?

• twallingtwalling Posts: 241
    edited December 1969

It would be nice if there was an app that you could run where you could, I dunno, drag and drop all these "install" programs into, select all the options ONE TIME, and then let the thing zip through them all. Maybe even have it SAVE your preferences, so if you do use the same settings every time, like I do, you could set 'em ONCE and be done with it.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited December 2012

The installers have command line options, so it is possible to create a script or program that can automate the process.

The problem is however that there are several different versions of the installers and they don't have or share the same command line options (some of the oldest installers don't even have any AFAIR), which makes things pretty complicated.

I was working on one some time ago, but I dumped the project when I learned that DAZ is converting everything to zip format. Didn't want to waste time on something that will only be useful for a limited time. Auto-installers for zip files are much easier to make.

DAZ is working on a download/autoinstaller program now btw, which will work with the zip files. No one knows though when it will be ready, it will probably first be when all files have been converted to zip format.

Post edited by Taoz on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited December 1969

twalling said:
    It would be nice if there was an app that you could run where you could, I dunno, drag and drop all these "install" programs into, select all the options ONE TIME, and then let the thing zip through them all. Maybe even have it SAVE your preferences, so if you do use the same settings every time, like I do, you could set 'em ONCE and be done with it.

I imagine that it is possible to make the installers remember the options you choose (some of them saves the install path for example), In any case it is easy to make, so if they can't they're a pretty poor piece of software. If they can it's pretty poor of DAZ not to use the option, considering the amount of complaints they have recieved about these troublesome installers.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Once it arrives the promised Daz download and install manager will make things much easier if you choose to use it.

• Wiccan1Wiccan1 Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

When DS 4 and 4.5 Pro were released, all the installers were packed inside a zip. That would be a nice start! *For those who can handle larger downloads. :)