Animation Clubs 3rd animation finished. Watch the final film now.

Comments

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited November 2016

Thanks Dart... downloading now... done.  Looks very good... very cool that it can also do 3D text. Will have to see if I can find time to learn it, I saved your playlist page.  I've got so many things to learn... most important at the moment is Filter Forge which I recently bought... then I can move onto one of the other programs I have which I've not yet begun to learn... "Good grief Charlie Brown" what do I not want to do. :)

BTW: One of the *many* cool intro credits which impressed me was the one for Sleep Hollow (1999) with Johnny Depp and Chrisitna Ricci.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,244

Beautiful Scene! 

I had a little difficulty at first: The camera must have come from a different scene magnitude in that trying to position it from within its view is nearly impossible (super slow to move). Easy fix - Inserted a new conical. Done.

The hardest part is that it was all set up on time frame 5:06

I thought I had everything brought back to an earlier starting point, but for some reason I still had some houses moving across the scene - Still working on fixing it.

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

Arghh,,  I do this so often .  

To fix it expand all of the groups and  for the keyframe markers at the 5:06 time in the Universe,Master objects,Shaders and Scene for all objects. Select all of the keyframes and move them to 0:01 seconds.

Now select all the keyframes at 0:00 that had keyframes at 5:06sec and delete them.  Then select the keyframes that we moved to 0:01seconds and move them to the beginning or 0:00sec.

I will upload a fix to the file shortly . Sorry about this.

I had a little difficulty at first: The camera must have come from a different scene magnitude in that trying to position it from within its view is nearly impossible (super slow to move). Easy fix - Inserted a new conical. Done.

The hardest part is that it was all set up on time frame 5:06

I thought I had everything brought back to an earlier starting point, but for some reason I still had some houses moving across the scene - Still working on fixing it.

Bah... no worries! It happens to all of us, I think. I know I certainly do it enough ;)

Cool scene... I really love how you build these things.

So is there going to be a different one for getting closer to the town or should I just work with this one? What are you planning? Either works fine with me.

Dart,  here is the link to the fixed file. It should work.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/28geibylgaauik5/OpenSceneFinal2.zip

To make this scene work for scene 2 you would have to create what you want where you want as there is nothing prebuilt for it. If you let me know where you want to place your camera then I could build something at that point. Let me know.

edited November 2016

Mike,  Still want a stop sign?  I have one nearly done, hopefully, the design basically finished.  Seems most of my modeling is a learning experience. :)

StopSign_Design.png
    1600 x 900 - 265K
    mmoir said:

To make this scene work for scene 2 you would have to create what you want where you want as there is nothing prebuilt for it. If you let me know where you want to place your camera then I could build something at that point. Let me know.

I was asking because I noticed that, as I get closer to the town, those little houses on their little plots are actually floating above the midground object.

So for Scene 2, I just don't go that close... and yet we can still see the dust of the exiting vehicles leaving town.

I just need to figure out what to do from there - as far as actually entering town. Maybe we don't even need the actual 'approach from afar' and instead, begin the zoom through town once we're already on one of the road in town. That would probably be fine, I'm thinking.

We could perhaps break up the two with a shot of some vehicles driving along a road, kicking up my dust particles?

Just thinking aloud here.

Here is more of an explanation to this "Text Plus" tool - this being part 1 within a playlist which will play through all four (and more) if you click the YouTube button in the video window (I think?) Edit: Nope... it doesn't work that way. Here is my Playlist, and the below video is #18 in the list, three more to follow, if you're interested. Pretty cool stuff. yes

Wow... I just finished watching the tutorials on the Text Plus tool while I'm waiting for my particles test to render... wow is this ever powerful! If anyone wants to watch just one and no others, try this one!

Fusion is an amazing tool!

edited November 2016

Here is a stop sign. Mostly  done in model room... the lettering is Carrara text. Hopefully it is useable.

StopSign.png
    640 x 480 - 14K
    zip
    zip
    StopSign.zip
  •  

Wow... I just finished watching the tutorials on the Text Plus tool while I'm waiting for my particles test to render... wow is this ever powerful! If anyone wants to watch just one and no others, try this one!

Fusion is an amazing tool!

Yep, those are one of the first tutorials I watched while learning, wait till you get to 3D crap and particles, awesome ...

Here is one of my first 3D renders in Fusion smiley

Very nice! Yes... 'tis a most powerful tool. I haven't tried the render engine yet. As a matter of fact, I've actually barely even touched the software yet. But it seems like it's just as easy to work with as the layer-based HitFilm - just a different way of looking at how to set things up. 

I'm getting much more into it over in this thread - I could learn from Eric all day - every day. He's got some skills!

It does fit in nicely here too. Learning this software can make a person a real asset in any animation team, TV network, Movie studio... yeah....

Oh, I see .  .  I didn't look that close at the city houses relative to the mid ground or surrounding buildings as it didn't really effect scene 1 .  After looking closer I see all the houses are super small now and floating .

To fix the floating you can select the "House Source" object and lower until the houses hit the ground

To fix the "little houses" you can find the "SurfRep Houses" and double click to enter the Surface Replicator window and change the Scale number to something like 500% or until the houses are a more realistic size. There is a bug going with the surface replicator somewhere causing this.  frown

mmoir said:

I was asking because I noticed that, as I get closer to the town, those little houses on their little plots are actually floating above the midground object.

So for Scene 2, I just don't go that close... and yet we can still see the dust of the exiting vehicles leaving town.

I just need to figure out what to do from there - as far as actually entering town. Maybe we don't even need the actual 'approach from afar' and instead, begin the zoom through town once we're already on one of the road in town. That would probably be fine, I'm thinking.

We could perhaps break up the two with a shot of some vehicles driving along a road, kicking up my dust particles?

Just thinking aloud here.

Dart, 

Maybe I will set up a camera in the mid ground desert and create a bit of a road etc and fix the city at the same time. 

wgdjohn, 

I got the model and will put it in the scene 3 file..

wgdjohn said:

Here is a stop sign. Mostly  done in model room... the lettering is Carrara text. Hopefully it is useable.

Awesome! I was raising the Midground instead surprise Why? I don't know...! LOL

I like this method much better! Thanks

Particles test turned out pretty cool - but I still want to redo it - so tomorrow I'll work with the new scene. There are still two bushes and a palm tree that move - fixed that on my copy ;)

Out of curiosity (since I've never asked) is anything animated in here that I should know about?

Scene 1 is as good as done. I'm going to add some windy sand in the air and render it out.

Scene 2 is close.

I'd like to add Stezza's vulture to one of these - probably scene 1, or perhaps at the beginning of Scene 2 - start with the focus on it, then pan to the distant dust trail of the move to Australia ;)

It would be really cool to have a great big cylinder terrain with a road down the middle, so I could rotate that under the camera as I bring the camera closer to the town - rather than having to model a long stretch of road - not that we even need to travel along the road.  I was thinking kind of like how cartoons will animate the moving roadway under the motionless vehicle - simulating that it's cruising along, when in actuality, the road is just rotating like a rolling pin under the vehicle! LOL

Hey everyone,

This scene is really cool! Everybody's been doing a wonderful job with everything! This club certainly has talent for getting assets together quickly!

edited November 2016

Okay, here is a link to a scene 2 carrara file where I have added a "Road group" which can be moved around as you want.   Here is an image of the scene.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/i7c19gid0k2q5ii/Scene2Final.zip

Dart, I was thinking you could add the Vulture ontop of the Cactus Corner sign of scene 1.  You could try it and see how it looks.

Scene2Prelim.jpg
    1511 x 852 - 114K
    Post edited by mmoir on

Awesome! My particles turned out pretty cool after hours completely got away from me! LOL

Rendering now.

Can't wait to play with this scene tomorrow!

mmoir said:

wgdjohn, 

wgdjohn said:

Only thing I was not happy with is the "stop" text... had to set it to such a small font size it's not that plain... shoulda went with a texture map. (:

Hey everyone,

This scene is really cool! Everybody's been doing a wonderful job with everything! This club certainly has talent for getting assets together quickly!

yes  +1

wgdjohn said:
    mmoir said:

wgdjohn, 

wgdjohn said:

Only thing I was not happy with is the "stop" text... had to set it to such a small font size it's not that plain... shoulda went with a texture map. (:

In the future, just use the font fidelity that you're happy with, and use the Scale tool to bring it down to the proper size ;)

edited November 2016

Thanks Dart,  While doing a few test renders on my Challenge image I was thinking about doing that and wondering if it would work better... too bad it didn't occur to me at the time. Another option is to draw out the letters as a path and use a tiny circle and use path sweep for each letter... that is similar to how I did the outer white ring.

Today I finished a little better anim for the intro text... more like I was wanting.  I have a few questions about problems I see and how to save.

• All the players for the final anim have various problem. Most show the lettering to move across the screen somewhat jerky... not very smooth. Hoping to better it I changed it from 24fps to 30fps... didn't notice any change at all. Note that it appears smooth in preview mode but not so when saving to avi.
    • What I am thinking about doing is rendering instead as incremental filenames for each frame and putting together with a different program... I have not tried this yet with "AVS4YOU". That is how I usually rendered from Carrara 6 Pro. Which file type do you recommend to save as?
    • Note that I have also used Animation Workshop 4 and also the animation program which came with an early version of JASC Paint Shop Pro but no other programs. Hmm... can Fusion be used to put all the images together in to a final anim?
    • I'll be happy to render the intro text. Please let me know where to upload the final anim to.
    zip
    zip
    CactusCorner_ACC_3rd_intro.zip
    edited November 2016

Hey Guys,

Here is a carrara file that people can use if they want to try anmating scene 4 of our story.  I used this as a starting point for scene 3 as I am animating that one but all you have to do is move the camera further down the streed to "downtown"   Scene for is described as follows. I think we will just hear the coyote for now unless someone has modeled one that I dont know about..

scene 4

pans across the main deserted street... empty buildings with doors and shutters banging in the breeze.. a newspaper floats by and a coyote is seen in the distance howling

If anyone wants to try and animate scene 4 please download the file here. 

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dfj5l8188303jux/CityScen4.zip

Post edited by mmoir on

wgdjohn,  

I will look at the file and see if I can see anything . I would look at the graph editor curves for the text to see if anything jumps out or apply bezier curves to the tweeners of the text.

wgdjohn said:

Today I finished a little better anim for the intro text... more like I was wanting.  I have a few questions about problems I see and how to save.

• All the players for the final anim have various problem. Most show the lettering to move across the screen somewhat jerky... not very smooth. Hoping to better it I changed it from 24fps to 30fps... didn't notice any change at all. Note that it appears smooth in preview mode but not so when saving to avi.
    • What I am thinking about doing is rendering instead as incremental filenames for each frame and putting together with a different program... I have not tried this yet with "AVS4YOU". That is how I usually rendered from Carrara 6 Pro. Which file type do you recommend to save as?
    • Note that I have also used Animation Workshop 4 and also the animation program which came with an early version of JASC Paint Shop Pro but no other programs. Hmm... can Fusion be used to put all the images together in to a final anim?
    • I'll be happy to render the intro text. Please let me know where to upload the final anim to.

edited November 2016

Mike, Thanks. I was rendering at Fast quality... I just bumped it up to Good and it looked much better in the Carrara preview. Just now finished rendering at Best to see if that makes a difference. For both Good and Best I'm rendering as "Sequenced PNG" files. It creates 180 frames... at Good it took 7 mins ... at Best 16 mins total.

Cool. I really love Scene 2 scene, but I'm confused on what to do with it.

Are we having the vehicle coming at us? I was always envisioning them leaving town away from us... either way is fine... my brain just isn't connecting right now.

It sure is a beautiful scene!

Dart , I was just imagining a "Dust trail" leaving the town going to the left and a dust trail leaving town going to the right.  You could have a car head straight for the camera too if you want, it is up to you

In front of the town, right?

I had something entirely different going on with the previous scene, with the dust trail leaving in the same direction we're going - so away from the camera on the other side of town - hence on a road.

After seeing it play back, the dust trail really gets lost among the desert and the town. I'll try this one with the dust trail coming kind of toward the camera but to the right and left. 

I am sure this would be fine, I picture the cars leaving in all directions so what you did should work.  I can start working on this again, my other 3d work got in the way of this. frown

I had something entirely different going on with the previous scene, with the dust trail leaving in the same direction we're going - so away from the camera on the other side of town - hence on a road.

After seeing it play back, the dust trail really gets lost among the desert and the town. I'll try this one with the dust trail coming kind of toward the camera but to the right and left.