Turning Off All Surface Limits

Is there a way to turn off the limits in Surfaces for everything at once?  Or at least for whatever is selected?  As opposed to going into every single setting on every single surface and unchecking it?

Comments

• I'm not aware of a built-in command, it could probably be scripted fairly simply.

• Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 554

I'd be interested in the same thing - annoyingly if you save a material preset it doesn't include the limits so the material will never look right, surely it should? Is that a bug?

• I don't know if it's a bug or not, but you could certainly makea  report of a possible bug/request for a new feature.

• JD_MortalJD_Mortal Posts: 758
    edited November 2016

To select multiple surfaces, hold CTRL or SHIFT.

CTRL = (ADD/REMOVE this item) {EG, Materials A, F, X, Y, Z} Click F again, and you are left with A, X, Y, Z only selected now.

SHIFT = (Select ALL BETWEEN last selected and this item) Select B, hold SHIFT, Select G... Now A, B, C, D, E, F, G are all selected at once.

When they are selected, you see "(5) Glossy", instead of just "Glossy"... Select the GEAR (properties), and then uncheck "Use Limits" from the window, near the bottom... (It is a checkbox)...

Now all five of those surfaces properties are unlocked and can be adjusted to any value. Though, surface values are normally limited to -100% to 100%, with no changes beyond those values having any effect. I can not imagine why you would want to unlock every property for every setting on a surface. There are only a few with locks that need locks to constrain them to values that the program will ultimately constrain them to in rendering. Like gloss, which can't be 200% glossy... 100% is 100%, full gloss. Other things which have no limits, usually don't have limits, other than the maximum number which can be achieved in the program, like bump values.

Post edited by JD_Mortal on
  • Use Limits is the one that controls limits.

• JD_MortalJD_Mortal Posts: 758
    edited November 2016

Use Limits is the one that controls limits.

Corrected my error... Previously I had "select UNLOCK", changed it to "uncheck USE LIMITS"... I was looking at a script for unlocking all selected items at once, while responding to the post at the same time.

Post edited by JD_Mortal on
  • JD_Mortal said:

I can not imagine why you would want to unlock every property for every setting on a surface.

When using very useful Cayman studios UV for using torso textures on the  anatomy  prop when there isnt an anatomy texture provided by the vendor this is a major problem when using Iray shaders. Vendors often have various iray surface elements over limit but when you copy and paste them to the anatomy prop the ones over limit do not transfer with the correct over limit values You then have to manualy check each one and turn off limits so you can insert the correct value and the surface matches the torso. It would make life so much easyer if you could simply turn off all limits before pasting the torso texture so it would transfer with all values correct.