Export obj to 3ds Max

lannabullslannabulls Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

Hi everybody,
i save a poser scene, Victoria 4 with textures and some morphs apply, as an obj file, export all except the ground.
I import it to 3ds max 2013, i convert Victoria to a editable poly so she is a single object made by many differents elements, can you tell me please how can i connect all these elements in order to get a single mesh made by a single element? Commands such connect, weld vertex, etc, dont work
Sorry if i ask questions about max here, i try to ask in some max forums, unfortunately nobody can give answers.
Thanks and sorry again!

Comments

• edited December 1969

did you try import export in hexagon daz modeler ?? worth a try

• MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited December 1969

If you have a recent version of Poser your can open a PZ3 directly in max with the builtin PoserFusion

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,785
    edited December 1969

PoserFusion comes with Poser Pro 2012....

• MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited November 2012

WandW said:
    PoserFusion comes with Poser Pro 2012....

They started it in Poser 8, along with versions for Lightwave, C4D and Maya
    But, as with most things, the recent version works better

maxdemo.jpg
    238 x 307 - 9K
    Post edited by Medzin on
  • lannabullslannabulls Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks a lot for answers:
    poser pro 2012, poser fusion SR3 for max 2013.
    I open a tiket with poser assistence (excellent service) about poser fusion and Max cause i had problem to make it works, with cinema 4d fusion is working much better, i dont know about Maya.
    Poser fusion (SR 3 update support max 2013, previous version do not support 2013 edition) allow to open a poser scene in max however no materials are automatically applied on mterial lab.
    Cause my english is not so good let make an example, via poser fusion let import to max Victoria 4 with a skin texture apply. Once in Max textures appear if we render Victoria however they are not in material lab, i ask the specific question to poser support and i'm waiting for answer, (the guy who answered told me that he must speak with some stuff member that know max better than him), this is the reason why i try to import via obj, in both way, if we need textures on material lab they must be applied manually.
    On the contrary poser fusion works much better with cinema 4d cause in cinema there is a specific button to apply textures that automatically are transferrend to material lab. Victtoria 4 textures are made by many files if i dont have to loose time to reapply them manually i prefer!

Anyway the problem that i have is different,
    no matter if i import Victoria via Poser fusion or obj, once in Max i got a single mesh that i immediatly transform in an "editable poly", a single mesh made by many elements, if i try to "connect" them then "weld vertex" in order to get a single mesh made by a single element, commands as "connect" and "weld vertex" dont work. usually in max if i want connect elements that belong to a single object i select one of the element, click the command "connect" then select the others in order to apply commenad "connect" then weld all the vertex, with Victoria 4 imported as obj or via poser fusion these commands dont work!
    Sorry again cause i'm asking questions about max.
    Thanks a lot!

• edited December 1969

try export obj from poser import to hexagon export max 3ds ??

edited December 1969

Thanks,
    i dont have hexagon.

• edited December 1969

download it if u like its free from the daz store if you really want to make a poly model compatible I believe I used hex a couple of years ago to do this think it solved the weld problem so common when using poser exports was time consuming though

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Often going through a 3d program to convert items can help clean up conversion to the final target application. Sometimes this is through using tools available in the intermediate tool, sometimes it is as simple as routing through that application on the way to the target application. The latter has to do with the way the various applications handle conversions and even automatically at times fix issues in the import/export process. This dates back to early days with bmp and tiff formats which weren't consistant at one time, through various 3d programs, so it appears likely it will remain true in various formats for the foreseeable future.

edited December 2012

Thanks a lot,
    the suggestion to go through a 3d program to convert items cause, as you said, it help clean up conversion to the final target application,
    it is specifically related to hexagon or is a general suggestion?
    I ask that cause i tried already to go from Poser to Cinema 4d than export my obj to Max. it dont work too, "connect", "weld" commands dont work, so the suggestion is specifically related to hexagon or, as i understand from your reply, to a 3d program generally speaking?
    In max i try to check Victoria 4 topology, i found a lot of unused vertex that i delate
    If i dont find a solution i'm going to ritopologize Victoria and so i can "solve" the matter.
    Thanks a lot!

Post edited by lannabulls on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 2012

It was a broad statement, really just to expand on what mullhull was saying.

As for Hexagon, I would definitely try it as it has been coded to work with DS at least to some extent, so it makes sense it would help in some circumstances at least. I would also consider getting familiar with Blender's tools for normals etc... and try it as it tends to be pretty robust supposedly in this area from what I've seen and read. I'm still learning myself at this point so can't give you better answers yet on exactly which/how/when type things.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited December 1969

Ok, thanks a lot!