Witch Hunter NPR Animation Project

david_macraedavid_macrae Posts: 109
edited February 2017 in Art Studio

Hi All,

I am working on an animated project and wanted to share it here. I also wanted others to share their projects so we could give each other feedback as well as inspire others. I have been working in 3d a little over 1 year. Mostly in Poser because that is the tool my inspiration used. Also I find it easy to get good NPR renders fairly easily. The one new indespensible tool for me is the geometric edge line tool. However a large portion of my content came from the DAZ store and I am learning DAZ Studio a little. (not to switch mine you :-) I like having many tools in my arsenal. 

Any way please watch and enjoy. And don't forget to comment and add your works as well so I can see them.

David M

Post edited by david_macrae on

Comments

• I really liked your animation.  The style of characters was very nice, too.  :)  I have only dabbled a little in animation right now.  Nothing like like what you've managed to do.  I still have loads to learn.  I'll be keeping a watch on your thread, though.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

You did a great job on this, its very smooth and well put together.  I look forward to seeing what else you do!

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576

Great job - it's obvious how much work went into producing the finished product. Seems to have compressed well, too. Some of the styles I've been working on do not play well with Youtube's aggressive compression, which is a major problem/bummer for me. Keep up the good work!

- Greg

• Thanks @Knittingmommy and @Ice Dragon Art.

@algovincian I am on a macbook pro and use Final Cut Pro X for compositing. It has an export to youtube preset which is what I used. What is your Youtube channel? I would like to see.

I currently don't have anything uploaded to youtube. It's not the file that gets uploaded that is the problem, but rather what youtube does with it. When it's processed by youtube, several new versions are created. These new versions are of various sizes and compressions. Youtube doesn't give you control over how much compression, or which file is served/streamed. The main goal is to conserve bandwidth, as opposed to image quality. Line art really suffers since the algorithms aren't designed for it to begin with.

Here's a link to an example:

http://algovincian.zenfolio.com/img/s6/v141/o954441735/c1/p1149723929-210.mp4

Unlike youtube, this site allowed users to DL the original file I uploaded. Please note, I just cancelled my zenfolio account, but this link should be good for another 2 weeks or so.

- Greg

• Oh I see what you mean. Man that linework is really awesome. The morping running man, haha. The more I think about it, I am suprised that no large animation studio or software company like has hired you to create a rendering system for them. Or have they?

• I currently don't have anything uploaded to youtube. It's not the file that gets uploaded that is the problem, but rather what youtube does with it. When it's processed by youtube, several new versions are created. These new versions are of various sizes and compressions. Youtube doesn't give you control over how much compression, or which file is served/streamed. The main goal is to conserve bandwidth, as opposed to image quality. Line art really suffers since the algorithms aren't designed for it to begin with.

Unlike youtube, this site allowed users to DL the original file I uploaded. Please note, I just cancelled my zenfolio account, but this link should be good for another 2 weeks or so.

- Greg

That was very cool, Greg!  :)

I currently don't have anything uploaded to youtube. It's not the file that gets uploaded that is the problem, but rather what youtube does with it. When it's processed by youtube, several new versions are created. These new versions are of various sizes and compressions. Youtube doesn't give you control over how much compression, or which file is served/streamed. The main goal is to conserve bandwidth, as opposed to image quality. Line art really suffers since the algorithms aren't designed for it to begin with.

- Greg

That was very cool, Greg!  :)

Thanks, Knittingmommy - I remember seeing a video that talked about Genesis 1 technology when it first came out. I was impressed and couldn't wait to create a loopable run cycle from motion capture and apply it to a morphing Genesis figure as an animation test.

- Greg

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

David M,

You've got something good going on there! - All of the elements are in place to tell your stories. I don't know how many folks appreciate what you've done to get this to where it is (save for a few doing the same in here!).

Brilliant use of some of my favorite DAZ props/scenes! The voicing (esp intro!) and music are solid, esp that end theme! Wow!. Titling is intriguing and distinct - beautiful, Characters round out a good human spectrum for interesting interchanges between them! Scenery is consistent and melds with the story without distracting. All in all a solid foundation!

Bravo!

--ms

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

Hey David, Very nice animation , very polished. I watched and I did enjoy.

I am part of a group of Carrara users who have formed a bit of an animation club in the carrara forums, our goal is to create animations as a group. We create most of the assets ourselves and try and get lots of people involved.   Here is a link to our first 2 animations

And here is the 2nd video or actual first completed animation by the group. You did say you wanted to see what others are up to .

• @mmoir Nice haloween animations. So this was a group effort from people that got together in the carrara forum? cool.

I really like the wind blowing trees and leaves in the spooky night animation. very cool effects. I actually have Carrara and was originally going to use it but the only thing I have actually really used it for was to make a pair of shoes made for genesis 3 fit Hiro 3 and to make a hair morph. and export to Poser. Keep em coming!

@mindsong thanks. I actually licensed the song at the end from someone else because I thought it really fit in with the theme. IE 90's buffy or Charmed style show but animated.

• David: I hadn't realized you had posted this here to the Forums. I watched it again -- still love it. And thanks for clearing up the origin of the song. It's really great and fits your material very well.

• I like the quality of the narration and dialogue, and the smart mix of 2d and 3d imageryto save on rendering resources. It all hangs together really well too. Nice job!

• @TheFaxMisher Thanks. Yes using some of the tricks of 2d animation really does save on rendering.

@mmitchell_houston hows work on your comic going?

• @TheFaxMisher Thanks. Yes using some of the tricks of 2d animation really does save on rendering.

@mmitchell_houston hows work on your comic going?

David: Thanks for asking. Unfortunately, it's not going at all for the moment. I had to stop work on it to focus on creating some illustrations for a Wild West game book. This is a classic case of responsibility taking precedence over inspiration. My mind is still more interested in the comic, but I've got to complete about a dozen print-ready illustrations by the end of the year, so that's where my attention lies at the moment. Fortunately, I'm using a similar workflow for the illustrations as I was on the comic, so at least I'm still engaged in the same learning curve (if you know what I mean). I plan to return to the comic in the new year.

• david_macraedavid_macrae Posts: 109
    edited December 2016

I just found a very cool anime that is in production and based on the Cthulhu mythos. It used 3d software. The 2 clips show it done first in 3d and then the final render.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN0FaDjXlIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjSnFPKAEA4

p.s. can someone tell me how to post a youtube clip inline. So it shows in post rather then just a link?

edited December 2016

David,  I just highlghted the youtube address in the address bar, copied it (ctrl+c) then pasted (ctrl+v) it to the thread post.

p.s. can someone tell me how to post a youtube clip inline. (so it shows in post rather tahn just a link?

Post edited by mmoir on
  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

I just found a very cool anime that is in production and based on the Cthulhu mythos. It used 3d software. The 2 clips show it done first in 3d and then the final render.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN0FaDjXlIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjSnFPKAEA4

p.s. can someone tell me how to post a youtube clip inline. (so it shows in post rather tahn just a link?

thanks for those links. there's a lot going on in those clips. great style too.

cheers,

--ms

• use the source button posting the Youtube link

• oh and fantastic animation David heart

edited February 2017

This very short clip is to test some new photoshop actions I was working on to create a better cel shaded effect. I am getting closer to what I think is a good final rendered look for my projects.

Although after watching it on youtube the encoding on this clip is not very good.

• Here is a still to better see the filter I just like the nice diffusion

equestrian.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 636K
  • KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012

@david_macrae I am literally speechless, this looks fantastic! Fantastic job on the animations for Cthuhlu.

edited February 2017

Thanks @KA1 my goal is to continue to study and learn animation and create complete animated shows for free on youtube.

p.s. I am almost finished with the second part of the pilot witch hunter epidode.

• New scarier creature.

Unfortunately I have not been able to work on this project recently. I originally wanted to add a couple more scenes before I put this up. But since I don't know when I will be able to here is what I have finished so far...

• BC RiceBC Rice Posts: 591

Unfortunately I have not been able to work on this project recently. I originally wanted to add a couple more scenes before I put this up. But since I don't know when I will be able to here is what I have finished so far...

The toon line is in pretty good shape in these renders. Are you tooning in Poser or Carrara? 

edited June 2017

Poser 11 Geometric Edge Lines. And open GL Render.

Waiting...