New User Contest Revamp Discussion

Comments

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,816
    edited October 2016

In the past we have attempted to provide "why we picked this" but in the end it lead to a couple issues:

1) Art is very often subjective (as I described earlier) There is no "You have to" rules as many things that can break conventional "artistic" rules (like say The Golden Rule etc) can be better than those things that follow them (though knowing them can make it so you can break those rules better/more decisively). Because of that, "why" will always generally be an "opinion" not necessarily facts that can be of more use to others (Hope I am making sense)

2) In the past it has lead to arguing or fighting within the contest. As an example: A judge would maybe say "I chose this as I felt the colortones were dynamic and the focus of the image added to the feel of the image" Others would then come in and say how they disagreed or felt that wasn't true etc. In the end, what happened is it left those that won feeling discouraged and those judging feeling hesitant to want to sad

I do understand how it can be helpful though in some instances which is why we initially tried it. It wasn't until we tried it that we realized the drawbacks and they seemed to outweigh the value of it. That said, for anyone that wants further more specific critique, you are more than welcome to contact me and I will always be more than happy to discuss your specific artwork with you (though I generally will not compare it to another's work in the contest) In the end it's more about you improving personally rather than improving comparitively (which is why we are trying to change the contest in the ways we are)

Great feedback though and I appreciate you bringing it up as I'd not addressed that and it is something we get asked often so it was worth explaining smileyheart

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on

Just a little note to let you all know we have decided on what we are going to do now. Expect changes to come starting in January wink Also of note, during January we may be tweaking rules or adjusting things as we go to fit the new format of the Challenge so please bare with us as we refine everything heart

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Sounds good

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

sounds good to me

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I think it's a good ideal but maybe you can add a grand prize each contest of whoever produces the best PDF tutorial on the technical aspect in DAZ Studio of the contest. Shaders, Surfaces, Posing, Animations, and so many other things in DAZ Studio.

I think it's a good ideal but maybe you can add a grand prize each contest of whoever produces the best PDF tutorial on the technical aspect in DAZ Studio of the contest. Shaders, Surfaces, Posing, Animations, and so many other things in DAZ Studio.

The format of the contest (well now challenge) that we are changing to is such that we could do that. There wouldn't be a "grand prize" for it though but if someone spends tons of time doing a guide/tutorial that helps the group, we would be able to award them something for that effort smiley This makes it so help, tips, sharing your knowledge, etc are equally highlighted along with artwork that comes out wonderfully or people who work really hard at improving on a skill. smiley

edited February 2017

I had a question:

Would you like it if, in addition to those that are "Spotlighted" and receive a gift certificate, we also spotlighted additional people. They wouldn't receive gift certificates but rather we would show their work in appreciation for their efforts. Do we think that is a good or a bad idea? Do you have an idea that is perhaps better?

We get a fair bit of participation and I'd like to spotlight more people if at all possible but I don't want people to feel disappointed they didn't get a gift certificate so I'm unsure if its a good idea or not.

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    If it were me, I'd be disappointed to be spotlighted with no prize.

That's a tough one.  Maybe if you called it something different, or did an honorable mention or something like that. 

• In my case, a gift certificate is not important as I have a decent job and salary, but it can change the game for students, jobless people or low incomes.I can imagine that some of us did work hard to buy a computer and basic stuff like decent hair or skin for their characters...

• ShortcutShortcut Posts: 68
    edited February 2017

I had a question:

Would you like it if, in addition to those that are "Spotlighted" and receive a gift certificate, we also spotlighted additional people. They wouldn't receive gift certificates but rather we would show their work in appreciation for their efforts. Do we think that is a good or a bad idea? Do you have an idea that is perhaps better?

We get a fair bit of participation and I'd like to spotlight more people if at all possible but I don't want people to feel disappointed they didn't get a gift certificate so I'm unsure if its a good idea or not.

I think having your work shown or displayed prominantly as a show of appreciation would be a great confidence booster to people even if they weren't 'spotlighted' with a prize. One of the goals of creating artwork is simply to display your work for people to see. From that goal you can be proud when people comment on and appreciate your work, and be rewarded with a huge motivational boost to pursue new ideas in your art and learn new techniques to achieve them.

Post edited by Shortcut on
  • daybirddaybird Posts: 648

In my eyes it's a good thing to split the challenge in different subcategorys, not every Render is a great work, but sometimes things in this works are impressive and worth to be honored. 
    It will also to be a good instrument to animate people to help each other or give hints. Good, sometimes people like me who dosen't speak and write english so well are a little disadvantaged by the lack of being able to express themselves clearly. (Google generates some questionable translations ^^) but until now, my questions were always best answered.

Maybe instead of calling it a spotlight maybe something like "New and Noteable" - Those that we would like to point out as doing something extra or who had a perticular strength we think is worth pointing out though "prizes" aren't involved?

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440

Recognition ought to be considered a prize, as long as its not handed out to everyone. I see no problem whatsoever recognizing artists or their work if there is cause to do so in regards to the challenge.

• Personally, prize money wasn't the reason I posted to the challenge.  Don't know that I'm a true beginner to DS anymore since I've been playing with it for well over a year now, but beyond the mechanics and watching tutorials (which can't really speak back to your own work), I haven't had any kind of art studies since, erm... Junior High or so.  So I'm trying to figure out where I am and how I can improve.  To that end, any feedback (positive or negative, midway or at the end of the challenge) is really golden.

• (TL;DR - it's complicated but I think it's good to have a few prizes and also recognize others without prizes - both to reward them as well as call out the positive things that lead you to do so as learnings for others.)

Wow - this is complicated.  I'm really tempted to stay in my introverted corner and watch, but there are several fascinating dimensions to this and I've been staring at the blank blue grid of an empty Daz scene contemplating lighting long enough to want a break (truth - it's open and still empty behind my browser while I type this).  At the risk of revealing how random my thought process is, here we go...

There is a general theme that 'artists' will desire recogition and feedback over prizes.  While I believe this to be true, I'm personally awkward about thinking myself an 'artist' - I don't think I'm yet worthy of that title.  Currently I feel tickled that someone would refer to me as one.  I strive to be one, but think of myself more as a technician working the dials and trying to learn enough to one day create art.  As such, it's taken me a long time of 'playing' with Daz Studio to get to the point where putting anything up for people to see is ok (did I mention the introvert thing?).  

I'm at the point now, because of the sense of community here, that I feel comfortable doing so, and do enjoy the feedback and discussion.  Some day I hope to graduate to being considered a digital artist and being able to help others.  Right now I'd say my motivation is more driven by increasing sense of community and learning.  The encouragement and helpful comments are their own reward, and a growing sense of belonging.  Pretty much the basics of online community building.  That said, I would never of first posted without the sense of "hey, it might be fun to try and win a prize" to get me past the fear of criticism/rejection.   

If there are prizes, there can be no sense of trying to guess who might benefit from a gift certificate or free item.  It has to be based on defined (even wildly loosely defined) merit/reasons/ideas.  For people who think of the contest as a game, they need to know the rules of the game for it to be satisfying.  Even if the value is nominal, if there's something 'at risk' it can be more exciting and motivating. For those who may be earnestly trying to 'earn' an item, they should know what it takes to do so.  For those who are just trying to help the community, they should understand what they are trying to encourage people towards.

For each individual, we don't know what motivates them to participate, and we want as many people as possible to do so.  Daz, as a business, certainly at least indirectly supports this Forum for the goal of encouraging more people to participate.

So I think there should be a prize/prizes to help motivate participation.  Why it's awarded should be clear - ideally prior to the start of the challenge.

I think it's ok to also call out people/works for merit outside of any prizes.  Why it's being called out should be clear as well.

Respectfull, encouraging comments and suggestions and community are the real key. (at least for me personallly, for where I am on this journey towards digital art)

Furthermore...I think daybird's english/translations are always understandable and often brilliant (he recently made a comment on 'cinema of the mind' - that really should be in common usage in english).  I also have to call out AGnawKneeMoose as the the best nic/avatar combo, ever, and speculate that they must be Canadian.

Maybe instead of calling it a spotlight maybe something like "New and Noteable" - Those that we would like to point out as doing something extra or who had a perticular strength we think is worth pointing out though "prizes" aren't involved?

I like this.  Maybe Showcase for the actual prize money and New and Noteable for the others? 

• yhzmurphy said:

(TL;DR - it's complicated but I think it's good to have a few prizes and also recognize others without prizes - both to reward them as well as call out the positive things that lead you to do so as learnings for others.)

Wow - this is complicated.  I'm really tempted to stay in my introverted corner and watch, but there are several fascinating dimensions to this and I've been staring at the blank blue grid of an empty Daz scene contemplating lighting long enough to want a break (truth - it's open and still empty behind my browser while I type this).  At the risk of revealing how random my thought process is, here we go...

There is a general theme that 'artists' will desire recogition and feedback over prizes.  While I believe this to be true, I'm personally awkward about thinking myself an 'artist' - I don't think I'm yet worthy of that title.  Currently I feel tickled that someone would refer to me as one.  I strive to be one, but think of myself more as a technician working the dials and trying to learn enough to one day create art.  As such, it's taken me a long time of 'playing' with Daz Studio to get to the point where putting anything up for people to see is ok (did I mention the introvert thing?).  

I'm at the point now, because of the sense of community here, that I feel comfortable doing so, and do enjoy the feedback and discussion.  Some day I hope to graduate to being considered a digital artist and being able to help others.  Right now I'd say my motivation is more driven by increasing sense of community and learning.  The encouragement and helpful comments are their own reward, and a growing sense of belonging.  Pretty much the basics of online community building.  That said, I would never of first posted without the sense of "hey, it might be fun to try and win a prize" to get me past the fear of criticism/rejection.   

If there are prizes, there can be no sense of trying to guess who might benefit from a gift certificate or free item.  It has to be based on defined (even wildly loosely defined) merit/reasons/ideas.  For people who think of the contest as a game, they need to know the rules of the game for it to be satisfying.  Even if the value is nominal, if there's something 'at risk' it can be more exciting and motivating. For those who may be earnestly trying to 'earn' an item, they should know what it takes to do so.  For those who are just trying to help the community, they should understand what they are trying to encourage people towards.

For each individual, we don't know what motivates them to participate, and we want as many people as possible to do so.  Daz, as a business, certainly at least indirectly supports this Forum for the goal of encouraging more people to participate.

So I think there should be a prize/prizes to help motivate participation.  Why it's awarded should be clear - ideally prior to the start of the challenge.

I think it's ok to also call out people/works for merit outside of any prizes.  Why it's being called out should be clear as well.

Respectfull, encouraging comments and suggestions and community are the real key. (at least for me personallly, for where I am on this journey towards digital art)

Furthermore...I think daybird's english/translations are always understandable and often brilliant (he recently made a comment on 'cinema of the mind' - that really should be in common usage in english).  I also have to call out AGnawKneeMoose as the the best nic/avatar combo, ever, and speculate that they must be Canadian.

Thanks, the moose does seem to infer Canadian, but it's just the phonetics.  At least I watch hockey, eh?

I identify with a lot of what you wrote.  Took a long time and a lot of playing with DS before I was creating anything I wanted to share with another human being.  Even now, it's difficult for me to post anything until I've picked at it enough that I'm reasonably satisfied, so... not a lot of WIP images for me.  I wouldn't exactly say that I enjoy criticism (those protective instincts towards our creations...), but I'm at a point where I'm feeling a little stuck in my head and want some outside input.  Is this actually any good?  What's working?  What's not working?  What are some new directions or things to think about?  Bought a couple books recently on composition and lighting, but I don't know that there's any substitute for feedback on what you're actually creating.

On a personal note about myself, before coming into 3D, I taught Workforce Development and Continuing Education Courses (which I LOVED but am sadly not able to do now due to some family things) but so my view of what the Community Volunteers do (whether it be the Challenge or helping New Members in the New User Forums) has always been with a goal of expanding people's knowledge and comfort on a topic(s). That goal is always my personal top priority when trying new things, having group discussions here or with the Community Volunteers, etc and was the general reason why I got this position initially.

In general, we have tried to do the challenge in a way that now looks at personal growth individually over growth compared to the collective participants (the former contest seemed to turn focus to the latter which is why there was a change to the challenge) So far I (personally) feel as though the challenge may be getting better individual results (as I can see a LOT of individual growth in the January Challenge) The one drawback for me is I hate to "award" only a few when I see such improvement from almost everyone which is why I'm asking for ideas. Maybe the solution is that in addition to the "Showcase" I try to go through and give everyone feedback on the ways/areas where I see improvements which I feel they should take special note of or be proud of themselves for. Doing that would take some time (especially with a lot of people participating) but it would be more reflective of a real learning environment and give everyone something to look forward to at the "close" of the challenge.

yhzmurphy said:

(TL;DR - it's complicated but I think it's good to have a few prizes and also recognize others without prizes - both to reward them as well as call out the positive things that lead you to do so as learnings for others.)

I can totally relate to this.  I am an introvert as well, although far more in real life lol.  And I also struggle to feel like my work is art.  Even though I know that really, if its a creative endeavor that I made it is art.  Wether its good art is a whole nother discussion lol.  I have finally learned at least here, not to look at it so much as criticism as constructive advice that I can choose to use or not depending on my personal vision for something.  And when I give advice I am never offended if someone chooses to not take it or disagrees.  There are always multiple ways of doing things and I really enjoy seeing the different suggestions.  I really think I learned more this month than when I had a render involved. I really had to look, and think about each render which really helped me as well.

On a personal note about myself, before coming into 3D, I taught Workforce Development and Continuing Education Courses (which I LOVED but am sadly not able to do now due to some family things) but so my view of what the Community Volunteers do (whether it be the Challenge or helping New Members in the New User Forums) has always been with a goal of expanding people's knowledge and comfort on a topic(s). That goal is always my personal top priority when trying new things, having group discussions here or with the Community Volunteers, etc and was the general reason why I got this position initially.

In general, we have tried to do the challenge in a way that now looks at personal growth individually over growth compared to the collective participants (the former contest seemed to turn focus to the latter which is why there was a change to the challenge) So far I (personally) feel as though the challenge may be getting better individual results (as I can see a LOT of individual growth in the January Challenge) The one drawback for me is I hate to "award" only a few when I see such improvement from almost everyone which is why I'm asking for ideas. Maybe the solution is that in addition to the "Showcase" I try to go through and give everyone feedback on the ways/areas where I see improvements which I feel they should take special note of or be proud of themselves for. Doing that would take some time (especially with a lot of people participating) but it would be more reflective of a real learning environment and give everyone something to look forward to at the "close" of the challenge.

This sounds like a great idea, but you are right, its a lot of work.  I would be happy to help although I don't know if I am far enough along to be able to do it effectively.

• daybirddaybird Posts: 648

Maybe the jury could divide points and from a certain number we can exchange them in something. So it takes longer on average to get a price, but gives the jury the opportunity to reward more people.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    edited April 2017

I saw the links about color as related to composition for the January challenge. If you're still accepting suggestions, it would be cool to have a challenge on color theory, such as a specific color rule like split-complementary, triadic etc. I'm learning about this and thought it might be a good challenge topic.

Here's a cool article called Color Harmony: Why Hulk Wears Purple Pantssmiley

Post edited by dawnblade on
    dawnblade said:

I saw the links about color as related to composition for the January challenge. If you're still accepting suggestions, it would be cool to have a challenge on color theory, such as a specific color rule like split-complementary, triadic etc. I'm learning about this and thought it might be a good challenge topic.

That's an interesting topic suggestion. Thanks for bringing it up. I enjoyed your link, too.

barbult said:
    dawnblade said:

That's an interesting topic suggestion. Thanks for bringing it up. I enjoyed your link, too.

You're welcome! Glad you enjoyed the article.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    dawnblade said:

nice idea and good info source, thanks!

Linwelly said:
    dawnblade said:

nice idea and good info source, thanks!

You're welcome! I especially liked the examples of each using movie posters, ads and other art pieces. Really helps to see it in practice.

• ItsCeoItsCeo Posts: 471
    edited November 2017
    I am most creative when entering this contest/ challenge. I like the idea of challenge. I am noob to DAZ, but not to creating art. I have pm'ed a person or 2 with suggestions previously because I did not feel comfortable doing that in the contest forum. I would feel more at ease participating / interacting with others in a challenge. Personally, I want feedback. I want to know if something would look better cropping away the background or whatever. I also want to be able to tell someone 'That is an awesome scene!'without thinking I am competing with that person for a prize. For me, winning a prize is super, but being recognized as having an interesting entry, or 'people to watch' category with no prize gives me pride of a job well done. I'm here to share and learn. GAaaa! How do I make paragraphs out of this mess?!
    Post edited by ItsCeo on
    ItsCeo said:
    I am most creative when entering this contest/ challenge. I like the idea of challenge. I am noob to DAZ, but not to creating art. I have pm'ed a person or 2 with suggestions previously because I did not feel comfortable doing that in the contest forum. I would feel more at ease participating / interacting with others in a challenge. Personally, I want feedback. I want to know if something would look better cropping away the background or whatever. I also want to be able to tell someone 'That is an awesome scene!'without thinking I am competing with that person for a prize. For me, winning a prize is super, but being recognized as having an interesting entry, or 'people to watch' category with no prize gives me pride of a job well done. I'm here to share and learn. GAaaa! How do I make paragraphs out of this mess?!

You have the right attitude, @ItsCeo. When you are ready for another fun challenge, check out the RRRR contests in the Art Forum.

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
    edited November 2017

Don't like the idea of competing either, but I suppose that is part of it if want to make it past editors. devil

My background is photography since 1979 & photoshop, and layout & design since about 1994.  Hardly "new" except for 3D.  Been at DS six weeks.  (Well, they were showing Poser 3 at a workshop back in late 90s, but dismissed it.  "3D?  What for?  Be gone in a couple of years."  Famous last words!  laugh

Anyway, in looking at past contests, notice others have been at DS for a year!  That's more experience, and they've had time to add more resources.  Expecting to "compete" in such a situation would be pointless.

OTOH, participants' experience is invaluable for a total novice & questions.  "How do I...?  Where can I find items for...?"  

Have always gotten a quick reply so far. yes

A suggestion though, or feedback from newcomer.

Why not bring back the idea of 1st, 2nd, 3rd place & Honorable Mention?  As another member suggested, explain why a piece was picked.  "We thought this was the best demonstration of (challenge) because.... A B & C.  Gives us an idea what judges or editors might be looking for.

In October, I had a look at everyones work and found myself curious.  Wonder what the results will be?  Lot of work went into these and they all have their merits.  Hate to have to make the call! 

Instead, October just got a "Contest Closed. Good job everyone."

That's it?  I mean after all that time & effort-- that's it!

Maybe just human nature, but was expecting a bit more.  Sort of disappointing.  I wanted to see who got selected & why. 

So perhaps a name change.  Call it "New User Lessons Clinic" or "New User WIPs" or something.  No competition, and no expectiations that CVs are going to pick the top 4 or so.

Hope that made sense, & sorry if long.  Thanks for reading!

--Bruce 

Post edited by Tynkere on