Will Genesis 3 ever be available to use with the DSON importer?

I've noticed that none of the content for Genesis 3 is not DSON compatible. Will that change in the future?

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

If Smith-Micro adds dual quaternion weight mapping to Poser then it could be possible.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,144

A lot of people lately seem to be doing what I did: just learn how to use DS and use the newest figures in it until maybe such a time as Poser can use them. Or not. DS is free...no reason not to try and learn it and use it alongside Poser :). Just a suggestion.

Laurie

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

The same answer as to why it doesn't work in Carrara, DAZ needs to add the support for Gen 3 characters.

• 3anson3anson Posts: 313

DAZ3D cannot do that until Poser has a compatible rigging system. the DazStudio and Poser 11 rigging systems are just too different.wink

• There are ways to get Genesis 3 to work in Poser. THere is a forum section at Rendersity for it.

• There are ways to get Genesis 3 to work in Poser. THere is a forum section at Rendersity for it.

There are ways to get a close appropximation of Genesis 3 into Poser 11, which seems to be good enough for many people - however it is not quite the full figure as available in DS.

• ZippyGuitarZippyGuitar Posts: 815
    edited October 2016

Post edited by ZippyGuitar on
  • Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,740

I've come to accept the fact that DAZ & Poser will continue to be further apart when it comes to the Genesis technology and any new generations DAZ will release in the future.  At one time, DAZ and Poser worked well together.

I always found DAZ's content to be more desirable than anything Poser had that came wtih their software. That is what helped me decide to once again stop using Poser, after I'd already purchased Poser 10. That's just the way it is.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,144
    tykey said:
    AllenArt said:

A lot of people lately seem to be doing what I did: just learn how to use DS and use the newest figures in it until maybe such a time as Poser can use them. Or not. DS is free...no reason not to try and learn it and use it alongside Poser :). Just a suggestion.

Laurie

I completely agree. I've been using Poser since around 2001 or 2002, albeit with limited success due to my computers' inadequacies for the 3D world. I finally was able to get a new computer April this year and I switched to Daz to give it a try. I almost stopped and went back to Poser. There was so much to learn or things which were vastly different. There were a LOT of frustrating days working in Daz Studio. But because of people in this forum, and in particular artists like Arki, Sickleyield, Jepe, and a few others I see in the Deviantart community, I stuck with Daz and I honestly don't see myself using Poser again, at least on a regular basis. In fact, I've only used it once since April and that was to use the Cloth room. I don't hate it, but I finally see the quality in the Genesis stuff. I swore I would never stop using the Generation 4 stuff (I had years of products I never was able to use or had limited use of). They still look great IMO, but I really am happy with the results I'm getting with converting things to Genesis and Genesis 2. I've had limited use of Genesis 3, but I love how they look. My recent purchase history has included more and more G3 stuff.

Sounds a lot like my situation except that I'd been using Poser since about 1997/98. I've been a die-hard Poser user ever since until early last summer when I decided I was going to learn DS or else. I took the time and haven't really used Poser since. I didn't intend for it to happen that way, but...well, that's the way it's been ;). My only saving grace was that while I loved the Generation 3's, I wasn't that fond of V4/M4 and never bought that much stuff for them, so at least I didn't have this huge investment to justify...heh.

Laurie

• Could we NOT let this thread degrade into why you don't use Poser? That's not what the OP asked about.

• Could we NOT let this thread degrade into why you don't use Poser? That's not what the OP asked about.

The point I was making was in regards to AllenArt's post...basically, if you want to use Genesis 3 and all the products available for it then learn DAZ like I did and drop Poser until something possibly changes with the software's compatibility. I'm not bashing it. I was simply embellishing on my problems with Poser and the Genesis stuff. No need to get bent out of shape about it. I was faced with the same issue with the orginal poster. I couldn't use DSON at the time due to computer issues. I wanted to use the Genesis figures, particularly 2 and 3, so when the opportunity came, I tried DAZ and stuck with it. That's all I was saying. If a person is wanting to use Genesis 3 products, and DSON isn't working, then the OP or myself or anyone for that matter has two choices, switch to Daz Studio or stick with Poser compatible products.

• tykey said:

Could we NOT let this thread degrade into why you don't use Poser? That's not what the OP asked about.

If a person is wanting to use Genesis 3 products, and DSON isn't working, then the OP or myself or anyone for that matter has two choices, switch to Daz Studio or stick with Poser compatible products.

And like I said before, it works, It requires a bit of research and fiddling, but it works. Please stop spreading misinformation ;)

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    tykey said:

Could we NOT let this thread degrade into why you don't use Poser? That's not what the OP asked about.

If a person is wanting to use Genesis 3 products, and DSON isn't working, then the OP or myself or anyone for that matter has two choices, switch to Daz Studio or stick with Poser compatible products.

And like I said before, it works, It requires a bit of research and fiddling, but it works. Please stop spreading misinformation ;)

What was said not misinformation as the workaround uses the DSON importer. If you have issues with that, you will have issues with the solution. However the OP was wanting an official solution, and that has already been covered in this thread.

• The OP asks: Will Genesis 3 ever be available to use with the DSON importer?

The answer is: Yes, it is already available to use with the DSON importer. Anything else is misinformation. Or misinterpretation.

None of the G3 content in the Daz store currently has Poser Companion Files, but they can still be read with the DSON importer using a script.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,896

The same answer as to why it doesn't work in Carrara, DAZ needs to add the support for Gen 3 characters.

or at least stop breaking the workarounds

it seems nothing now even rigged in D|S with triax will work in Carrara even my own attempts, it did in earlier versions

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,057

The OP asks: Will Genesis 3 ever be available to use with the DSON importer?

The answer is: Yes, it is already available to use with the DSON importer. Anything else is misinformation. Or misinterpretation.

None of the G3 content in the Daz store currently has Poser Companion Files, but they can still be read with the DSON importer using a script.

Genesis 3 and related items can't be used with the DSON importer directly. Genesis 3 and items converted back to TriAx rigging in DS can. That's not exactly the same....

• DreamingGirlDreamingGirl Posts: 227
    edited October 2016
    Leana said:

Genesis 3 and related items can't be used with the DSON importer directly. Genesis 3 and items converted back to TriAx rigging in DS can. That's not exactly the same....

Not quite correct. There is a way to get G3 to Poser without going via DS at all. Only with Poser11 tho, but it is discussed over at Rendo.

Edit: There is a tutorial out there by lululee describing how to import Genesis 3 directly to Poser without doing any conversion prior, it is all done in Poser. It is a commercial product tho, so I probably can't link to it here. Check it out if you're interested!

Post edited by DreamingGirl on
  • Leana said:

Not quite correct. There is a way to get G3 to Poser without going via DS at all. Only with Poser11 tho, but it is discussed over at Rendo.

Edit: There is a tutorial out there by lululee describing how to import Genesis 3 directly to Poser without doing any conversion prior, it is all done in Poser. It is a commercial product tho, so I probably can't link to it here. Check it out if you're interested!

It is not a full version of Genesis 3 - Poser doesn't support one of the features needed, so any use of a Genesis 3 figure in Poser is going to require some compromise. That is why there is no officially supported Daz method for using the Genesis 3 figures in Poser.