How do you save a Completely Clothed and Finished Character in its own Character in its on data fold

Nuba XNuba X Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I have a lot of content but I want to have just my Finished Character with all its contents saved separately.
Data, People, Props, etc.

How can I do that if possible?

Or do I have to just go in the data folder or Daz4 and search for everything related to my character, including maps, etc?

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Do you mean save it so you can merge it into another scene in its entirety, or so you can move it to another computer?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited December 1969

In DAZ studio 4.5 this is meant to be what a .duf file does, saving references so that the sceen can be rebuilt on another machine if the original content is present (which it must be - you can't share the content with others whatever happens).

• edited December 1969

Personally, I save finished characters in the zero position as scene files. They can then be merged into other scenes I'm working on, or used as starters for scenes. It keeps all the mats, morphs, clothes, and props for the character together, which sounds like what you're looking for.

• MrWizard1024MrWizard1024 Posts: 51
    edited December 1969

I do the same thing ThinMick does. I have a folder for Male Characters, and folder for Female Characters, a folder for Animals (dragons and whatnot).

edited December 1969

An added bonus is that saved scenes load faster than loading the figures from scratch, and Gen 4 figures can be saved with morphs already loaded and use less memory.

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

Since this thread appeared so conveniently, I would like to ask a (possibly stupid) question.

When I save a scene in DAZ Studio Pro 4, it looks as if EVERYTHING that is in the library is saved, including things that are not (and never were) loaded in the scene. For example when I save a V5 based character, during the save the pop-up window shows me that even items like M3 for Genesis morphs and similar are being saved, although I never even touched them to make this character. As a result the scene takes AGES to save. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? When I open the scene file later, of course only the character I saved is in there, nothing else.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited December 1969

This is happening because a .daz sceen doesn't know how to link to dsf files, it instead stores moprhs in .dsd files (and the base mesh in .dso files, and the uvs in .dsv). In order for the full range of options to be available in the scene when it is reloaded everything has to be converted into the old-style formats.

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

That sounds somewhat complicated. :) Thank you for your reply.

edited December 1969

Yes, that's one of the problems that the .duf format solves.