VRAM available for rendering with Windows 10 - #273017 (closed)

Comments

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501

Hmm. I'm looking at your GPU-Z memory numbers and I have a bit of a guess: Can you try loading increasing scene sizes and report the GPU-Z numbers versus the numbers reported by Octane Render? And if possible, try to fill it up all the way to max?

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,355
    edited October 2016
    mtl1 said:

Hmm. I'm looking at your GPU-Z memory numbers and I have a bit of a guess: Can you try loading increasing scene sizes and report the GPU-Z numbers versus the numbers reported by Octane Render?

Test scene - Snow Bison and Snow mountain

Geometries used

- 1 high poly count Bison with fiber hair

- 1 high poly count mountain terrain

- - -

- - -

VRAM on card 6144 MB (dedicated rendering GPU not assigned to the display)

Total VRAM available for use 5087 MB

VRAM used by scene 3621 MB

- Engine runtime data 341 MB

- Image textures 188. 3 MB

- Geometry 3 GB

etc.

-> unavailable VRAM 1 GB

- - -

Please keep in mind that you can download the OctaneRender demo and test this for yourselves.

https://home.otoy.com/render/octane-render/demo/

- - -

Bison Snow system setup.png
    400 x 494 - 46K
    Bison Snow - GPU during render.png
    400 x 494 - 34K
    Snowy Mountain Test Scene 3621 - 5087 - 6144.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 326K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited October 2016
    mtl1 said:

And if possible, try to fill it up all the way to max?

I used the previous scene and kept adding new objects by connecting them to the geometry group.

Test scene - Filling VRAM 4867 - 5082 - 6144

Geometries used

- multiple random .obj, .abc

- - -

- - -

VRAM on card 6144 MB (dedicated rendering GPU not assigned to the display)

Total VRAM available for use 5082 MB

VRAM used by scene 4867 MB

- Image textures 730. 3 MB

- Geometry 3.7 GB

etc.

-> unavailable VRAM 1 GB

- - -

@ differences in numbers

The differences between the numbers in GPU-Z and OctaneRender are around 100MB.

I would not get hung up on that but rather worry about the 1 GB that is not useable...

People who tested this with the GTX 1080 reported numbers around 2GB that are not useable.

Even higher numbers were reported when using Titan X and the Pascal Titan X

- - -

@ What happens if you go beyond the limit on the VRAM impossed by Windows 10:

IF you go beyond the limit impossed by Windows 10

- in OctaneRender your render will simply fail

- in Iray you fall back to the CPU render mode

- on a card with 6144 MB VRAM GPU-Z stopped detecting addtional geometry added to the scene at 5149 MB:

Filling VRAM - during render.png
    400 x 494 - 33K
    Filling VRAM Test Scene 4867 - 5082 - 6144 v1002.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 409K
    VRAM limit reached.png
    400 x 494 - 34K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,911

well I seem actually to have a bit over 6GB useable on my 980ti and have actually had scenes that use 6GB

not sure how that works

ToeJam said:

well I seem actually to have a bit over 6GB useable on my 980ti and have actually had scenes that use 6GB

not sure how that works

Without further information my guess is that you simply did not notice that Iray defaulted back to CPU render mode...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,911
    ToeJam said:

not sure how that works

Without further information my guess is that you simply did not notice that Iray defaulted back to CPU render mode...

when I can I will post one, in Octane render standalone 

am busy rendering something at the moment

Yeah, these new numbers are totally unexpected. For reference, I've been able to render a scene all the way up to almost the full 4GB on my card with zero issues, with GPU load at 100%... Hmm.

Occasionally, I do notice that my card loads the scene into VRAM but the GPU doesn't "work". That was solved by closing and reopening DAZ Studio. That may not be related to this issue, but thought I put it out there as there *is* a bug with continuously loading and unloading scenes into VRAM.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited October 2016

If it has video ouputs then W10 is going to create a framebuffer for it -- period.  It is to keep the card from crashing the system if an output is attached. When MS created Win2000 they moved the video drivers below the HAL (hardware abstraction layer) instead of being controlled by it.  That means that a video card fault can completely lock the system and can't be caught.  This situation is the same today.  Earlier systems allocated a standard VESA framebuffer at 8 bit for this purpose (hence the reason many systems flickered to a blank black screen before showing the desktop), however some modern monitors CANNOT display a VESA screen (out of range errors) so MS ended up allocating a full fledged DIB for the screens.  This can take a serious amount of VRAM depending on the numbers that are returned by the card's hardware to the gfx subsystem in use.  The more "enhanced" the desktop the more VRAM will be reserved.  If you're using all of the "bells and whistles" on your desktop then that is what will be used for the allocation.

There are hardware "justifications" for this and it is why MS is not entertaining the efforts to "fix" it.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on

If it has video ouputs then W10 is going to create a framebuffer for it -- period.  It is to keep the card from crashing the system if an output is attached. When MS created Win2000 they moved the video drivers below the HAL (hardware abstraction layer) instead of being controlled by it.  That means that a video card fault can completely lock the system and can't be caught.  This situation is the same today.  Earlier systems allocated a standard VESA framebuffer at 8 bit for this purpose (hence the reason many systems flickered to a blank black screen before showing the desktop), however some modern monitors CANNOT display a VESA screen (out of range errors) so MS ended up allocating a full fledged DIB for the screens.  This can take a serious amount of VRAM depending on the numbers that are returned by the card's hardware to the gfx subsystem in use.  The more "enhanced" the desktop the more VRAM will be reserved.  If you're using all of the "bells and whistles" on your desktop then that is what will be used for the allocation.

There are hardware "justifications" for this and it is why MS is not entertaining the efforts to "fix" it.

Kendall

Kendall, I pointed that out earlier, but the most recent test numbers presented above has a separate card driving the display.

• mtl1 said:

Kendall

Kendall, I pointed that out earlier, but the most recent test numbers presented above has a separate card driving the display.

I think Kendall is saying this happens if the card could drive a dispaly, regardless of whether or not it is doing so. The fix might be, if possible, to disable the video outputs on the card (internally, not just ripping the hardware off the outside).

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,070
    mtl1 said:

Kendall

If the card has video outputs even if not used (see Kendall's statement above).

• mtl1 said:

Kendall

I think Kendall is saying this happens if the card could drive a dispaly, regardless of whether or not it is doing so. The fix might be, if possible, to disable the video outputs on the card (internally, not just ripping the hardware off the outside).

Indeed.  If the card HAS THE HARDWARE to host a display, a framebuffer will be allocated for it whether it has a display physically attached to it or not.  As a "for instance":  a Quadro FX-5800 and a Tesla C1060 are the same hardware except that the C1060 has no capability to generate a display.  Windows will allocate a framebuffer for the FX-5800 but will not for the C1060.  This is the case whether the FX has a monitor connected or not.  The buffer is created *in case* a monitor is connected while the system is running.  The more "displays" the card is capable of running, the more memory is allocated.  If the card can run 4 physical displays, then windows will allocate 4 buffers, even if only 1 display port is used and even if no ports are used on the card.

As I said there are "justifications" for this behaviour, but these are only applicable to WIndows and the way the video is handled there.

Kendall

Hm, Windows allocating framebuffer regardless? I should test this out myself with the OctaneRender demo when I have the time.

My experience has been that the framebuffer is not loaded onto my PEG from a cold boot if I'm running from my IGP, but GPU-Z may not be reporting the reserved VRAM correctly...

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited October 2016

BTW everybody, none of this is new and has been the case since W2K.  In the past, though, the amounts of VRAM used by the framebuffer was minimal since only a base VESA screen needed to be allocated.  Those who use VMs are well aware of this requirement because almost all of them will scream if a Windows VM session is set up without appropriate "VRAM" amounts in place for the resolutions expected for the hardware.

I think the big "issue" is the vast amounts of VRAM that W10 is allocating due to all of the "eye-candy" that comes as default.  Even as far back as W7, WIndows could become a card hog if Aero with all of the 3D bits were activated and the card lacked the VRAM.  Those with integrated graphics and shared memory set too low in their BIOS ran into this problem HARD back then.

SOOOO.... it really isn't something to be surprised about.  If you use Windows, it is part of the "price you pay."

EDIT:  Also, the move of the video drivers to below the HAL was the reason that the original Windows NT crew resigned their positions at Microsoft in protest and a major reason that the BSOD was/is so prominent an issue with Windows.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited April 2017

Thank you all for providing valuable background information that makes it a bit easier to understand what is going on.

- - -

I now retested the scene with two GTX 1080:

VRAM on card 8192 MB (dedicated rendering GPU not assigned to the display)

Total VRAM available for use 6689 MB

VRAM used by scene 4479 MB

- Image textures 681. 3 MB

- Geometry 3.4 GB

etc.

-> unavailable VRAM 1.4 GB

- - -

update / edit:

removed addtional commentary to keep this entry shorter and focus on the test results

- - -

Filling VRAM Test Scene 4478 - 6689 - 8192 v1001.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 363K
    GTX 1080 during render.gif
    400 x 494 - 18K
    Post edited by linvanchene on
    edited April 2017

Update - Test with GTX 1080 Ti:

As far as you can gather from other threads the issue of a significant amount of VRAM not available for use with Windows 10 is still being bounced around between customers trying to contact Microsoft and Nvidia Support.

A crucial factor in tracking down this issue is the lack of software that properly indicates VRAM usage under Windows 10.

This is the reason why I post my test results with the latest version of OctaneRender standalone that features detailed information about VRAM usage during rendering.

I update this thread with my latest test results in order to have at least some results in the same place that show how the amount of VRAM reserved by Windows 10 has continued to increase with each new GPU.

- - -

@ Where can I find more information on this issue?

Microsoft Technet

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/15b9654e-5da7-45b7-93de-e8b63faef064/windows-10-does-not-let-cuda-applications-to-use-all-vram-on-especially-secondary-graphics-cards?forum=win10itprohardware

Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/4khp06/gtx_1080_and_windows_10_4gb_vram_limit/

AnandTech

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/losing-1-8th-of-total-usable-vram-with-cuda-and-353-62-w10.2442754/

Otoy (login required)

https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=51992

- - -

@ Users with cards with 4 GB of VRAM or less

I am aware that many users on the DAZ3D forum may use cards with 4 GB and less may not be able to observe this issue.

-> In the Nvidia Geforce driver documentation you can read about VRAM TAG reporting issues that

appear with cards that have more than 4 GB of VRAM. Nvidia categorized that issue

"Known Product Limitations", "beyond the control of NVIDIA"

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/375.70/375.70-win10-win8-win7-desktop-release-notes.pdf

Speculation:

I currently am not aware of any official verification that those issues are directly related.

But some reports by users suggest indeed a connection between

- Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) -> reserving VRAM under Windows 10

- and the way the Total Available Graphics memory (TAG) is reported.

- - -

@ Latest Test results with GTX 1080 Ti

Test computer setup:

Display: 1x Asus GTX 1080 STRIX A8G

Rendering: 2 x Asus GTX 1080 Ti FE

Nvidia Driver: 361.85

Tested with OctaneRender Standalone 3.06 Test 4

- - -

-> Windows 10 is reserving 2 GB of VRAM of 11 GB cards.

- - -

Escalation of unavailable VRAM space:

Windows 10 is reserving 1 GB of VRAM of 6 GB cards

Windows 10 is reserving 1.4 GB of VRAM of 8 GB cards

Windows 10 is reserving 2.0 GB of VRAM of 11 GB cards

- - -

If you can observe this issue yourself please contact Nvidia and Mircosoft support with your test results.

This community is small the voice of everyone counts.

Please do not wait around and hope this will be resolved on its own without additional feedback from more affected users.

If DAZ3D staff is willing to help a huge step forward would be to add tools that monitor and display VRAM usage with Nvidia Iray to DAZ Studio as well! enlightened

- - -

2017-04-14 GTX1080Ti 2 GB VRAM unavailable.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 346K
    20170414 GPU Z.gif
    400 x 494 - 20K
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

As Kendall pointed out that is not a bug but an intended design meant to stop video cards from crashing Windows 10.

I don't have an nVidia card but it would be interesting if this new Windows 10 'Gaming Mode' would decrease the amount of VRAM to reserving for itself. One might be able to run DAZ Studio in Windows 10 'Gaming Mode' However, from what I read about Windows 10 Gaming Mode it didn't mention anything of the sort but sounds more like Windows 10 throttles these terminate and stay resident daemons while in gaming mode.

edited April 2017

Update / Edit:

Rephrased this post to be more precise.

As Kendall pointed out that is not a bug but an intended design meant to stop video cards from crashing Windows 10.

I don't have an nVidia card but it would be interesting if this new Windows 10 'Gaming Mode' would decrease the amount of VRAM to reserving for itself. One might be able to run DAZ Studio in Windows 10 'Gaming Mode' However, from what I read about Windows 10 Gaming Mode it didn't mention anything of the sort but sounds more like Windows 10 throttles these terminate and stay resident daemons while in gaming mode.

Kendall gave great background information how the reasoning behind this might (!) have been.

Nevertheless that "intended design" is not something customers should accept.

Furthermore the replys posted by official microsoft and nvidia staff to customer requests based on this matter gave no indication that this "VRAM reservation" is intended or a known behavior.

However that may be in the end it is not a question if it is a "bug" or not.

-> A decision was made conscious or unconscious somewhere at microsoft to change the working VRAM behavior from windows 7 to windows 10.

This now has a huge negative side effect on not only people using GPU rendering but any other people that use GPU for calculations (AI research) or other design applications that rely on VRAM.

- - -

Kendall gave great background information how the reasoning behind this might have been.

It is not a question if it is a "bug" or not.

-> It is a matter about a decision made conscious or unconscious somewhere at microsoft to change the working VRAM behavior from windows 7 to windows 10 that now has a huge negative side effect on not only people using GPU rendering but any other people that use GPU for calculations (AI research) or other design applications that rely on VRAM.

- - -

No, Kendall was not guessing. Windows 10 is designed that way as a security feature. 

Kendall gave great background information how the reasoning behind this might have been.

-> It is a matter about a decision made conscious or unconscious somewhere at microsoft to change the working VRAM behavior from windows 7 to windows 10 that now has a huge negative side effect on not only people using GPU rendering but any other people that use GPU for calculations (AI research) or other design applications that rely on VRAM.

- - -

No, Kendall was not guessing. Windows 10 is designed that way as a security requirement. 

edited April 2017

Update / Edit:

Rephrased to focus on what exactly is troublesome with the current situation.

- - -

No, Kendall was not guessing. Windows 10 is designed that way as a security requirement. 

I rephrased my last post to be more precise. Please read it again to clear up any potential confusion.

- - -

I made this thread in order to raise awareness for a situation that has a huge negative side effect  on our hobby or job when rendering with multiple GPU.

Do your really want this trend to continue?

What about when cards with 16 GB VRAM  arrive on the market?

Then it would be acceptable that a huge amount of potentially 3+ GB may not be available?

We struggle for every bit of VRAM with GPU rendering. It is not acceptable that VRAM we paid for (!) is just wasted.

It was working with windows 7 and it is reasonable to propose that the same behavior is restored with windows 10.

- - -

How do you explain that both microsoft and nividia customer support are still not able to properly answer any inquires about this issue?

If this extreme VRAM reservation that continous to grow with each new card that offers more VRAM was intended behavior then they surely would say so, wouldn't they?

- - -

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,158
    Tottallou said:

The screenshot is of CPU Z which is different & doesn't have the information you need 

You need this one: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Hey thanks for posting a link. That is way better than the gup tool EVGA gave us with our graphic cards.

Much appreciated 

• Update / Edit:

Rephrased this post to be more precise.

Kendall gave great background information how the reasoning behind this might (!) have been.

Furthermore the replys posted by official microsoft and nvidia staff to customer requests based on this matter gave no indication that this "VRAM reservation" is intended or a known behavior.

However that may be in the end it is not a question if it is a "bug" or not.

-> A decision was made conscious or unconscious somewhere at microsoft to change the working VRAM behavior from windows 7 to windows 10.

This now has a huge negative side effect on not only people using GPU rendering but any other people that use GPU for calculations (AI research) or other design applications that rely on VRAM.

- - -

Agreed; reserving memory if there is no monitor connected is just rediculus. It should only be reserved if there is one connected, not based on the possibility of one being connected.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,613

..all the more I'll stick to W7.  These cards are expensive enough on my tight budget. Not thrilled about getting less performance than I paid for because of an OS 'feature". 

• As Kendall pointed out that is not a bug but an intended design meant to stop video cards from crashing Windows 10.

- - -

Whether it was a "security design" or not, the behavior of allocating VRAM on the off chance that a monitor will be plugged in while the OS is running is unacceptable when that VRAM is not released after a reasonable time.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,613
    ...just like the force fed updating, another case of MS playing "mommy' who thinks she knows what is best for you.
  • argel1200argel1200 Posts: 757

If the video card manufactures gave us a way to disable video ports/hide them from the OS then we could at least work around the issue.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

I personally dont see Win10 Pro 1607 build on my machine hording Vram at all. 

CPUID and GPUz both show about 90mb vram used on the main card and only 3MB on the second card when idle. 

Both are Zotac AMP Extreme 980TI - 6GB. 

I have rendered images recently that had 5 or more Genesis figures in it where each had diffuse, normal and SSS maps and it did not crash or fall back to the CPU.

edited April 2017

CPUID and GPUz both show about 90mb vram used on the main card and only 3MB on the second card when idle. 

CPUID and GPUz do NOT show you the amount of unavailable VRAM

Those tools show you the total amount of VRAM actively being used.

Windows 10 reserving / blocking VRAM means:

On a 11 GB card you can add geometry and textures up to 9 GB and then you will notice that you cannot anymore add more.

I tested this behavior myself and posted the results above,

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1718261/#Comment_1718261

-> Windows 10 RESERVES / BLOCKS VRAM and prevents it from being used. It is not actually USING it and thats the most ridiculous part of this whole situation.

example to better illustrate:

Imagine your car has space for 110 liter fuel in the tank.

You can only fill it up with 90 liter

There is a separate compartment of 20 liters in your tank that is locked away for an unknown reason.

It is not actually being used. It just sits there doing nothing.

The larger the tank is the larger is the size of the locked away compartment.

It is not a fixed amount but scales with tank size.

This means more and more space is being wasted that could actually be used without any risk.

- - -

CPUID and GPUz were NOT created with the intention to show the remaining VRAM available for rendering.

It does not show you

- the exact amount used for geometry

- the exact amount used for textures

- the exact amount used by other software

- the amount not available at all because it is blocked / reserved / but not used by windows 10

- - -

OctaneRender standalone clearly was designed by an experienced company familiar with GPU rendering.

If you do not trust me, fine.

But please trust Otoy as a company to be competent enough to create software that shows the real available amount of VRAM. You can download the demo version and test this yourselves!!!!

https://home.otoy.com/render/octane-render/demo/

- - -

I feel like I really have now explained this in detail enough. If you have questions please read trough EVERYTHING again.

And then download the OR demo to test this yourselves...

And then maybe ask DAZ3D support why DAZ Studio still does not have tools included to show how the VRAM is used by Nvidia Iray.

I still have hope that the next version of DAZ Studio includes the necessary tools. If not then it will be time to file a feature request...

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    kyoto kid said:
    ...just like the force fed updating, another case of MS playing "mommy' who thinks she knows what is best for you.

It can be disabled; I have done so, plus a lot of other stuff.