Why wont Bryce let me save as ?

Why wont Bryce 6 . 1 let me ' save as '  ?

just a jpeg is saved in place of the entire project . Thanks

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

First save is always save,   After that you can use Save as,   Save as gives you incremental saves.  So if yuor first save was titled scene 1 then save as will give you scene 2, scene 3 etc, automagically.

It's a wonderful system, used logically it means that if you get a crash, or delete something and then think better of it you can go back to the previous iteration of the file, rather than having to start again if you hadn't saved.

• sasa Posts: 45

Thanks Chohole , its the ' save as ' function that seems to not be working for me , and its Bryce 6.1 , so ...have been using 'save as' just for the reason you've explained , it just stopped working . gives not enough memory among other error references . Only lets me save , to the original that I don't want corrupted . guess i could re-install ,

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2016

ugh,  yes I don't know what is going on there then,

Do remember to make sure that you have all your added preset libraries backed up if you do go down the re-install route. 

Post edited by Chohole on

Thanks Chohole , good advice in any case . I don't remember , is there a option to ' repair '  Bryce vs. doing a  ' clean install  '  ?

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,119

sa - no option to "repair", only new install and that overwrites all libraries. If you have saved some of your materials, objects, skies, etc. all will be lost. So copy the folder "Presets" and everything that is in it so you can copy it back after re-installation.

Though it my not be necessary to re-install. It depends how big your scene is. Bryce does everything in memory and since Bryce 6.0, the file to save is compressed and this compression is done in memory, eating away even more memory than the scene, and this memory is released once the file is written to disk. However, if Bryce cannot find enough memory to compress the file, you get an error message and Bryce usually crashes.

Thank you Horo , after a long smoke and a frozen mug of Pilsner Urquell ,  your response was a very good read ,

And am I to assume that this compression is default from the original versions of Bryce ?

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,119
    edited October 2016

Yes, it's default, actually, it's hard coded. I find it was a bad move, with 32-bit, memory is a concern, hard disk space is not, cheap as it is. I have a video on YouTube: "Bryce Memory Shortage and what you can do about it"

if it helps.

Post edited by Horo on

Thank you Horo - Yes indeed . your video on YouTube: "Bryce Memory Shortage and what you can do about it" helped . Advanced mode showed Bryce as False until the option to ' force ' provided a ' True '  state .

And the Process Monitor ? Very useful ,

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/process-monitor.113638/#post-1732756

Excellent video , thanks .

Have just finished testing ' save and save as '  functions and am pleased that all went well . Total success after ' forcing ' option chosen in Advanced tab .

Thank you all for your great support and attention to detail .