Train for Parkside Tube Station

HALO creativeHALO creative Posts: 96
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I'm looking to completely revamp the Parkside Tube Station textures/materials and create a clean "in use" railway station scene, complete with passengers and a modern train.

My question is... does anyone know of a good 3d model of a modern passenger train that could be adapted to fit within this scene? :question:

I'll most likely be using a combination of DS4.5 and Carrara.

Comments

• DogzDogz Posts: 896
    edited November 2012

Funny you mention it, I was actually considering making a Tube train for this set a while back, I was going to make some thing a bit more vintage though like this: http://www.onlineweb.com/rail/photos/lt_museum_acton_depot_2009/mini-PICT0002.JPG
    But - looking at the promos I judged that the proportions were not quite there to fit a realistic looking tube train :(
    I guessed that the platform maybe needs to be extended closer to the track and possibly lowered a abit (or a slightly bigger tunnel could have solved the same problem) Please correct me if im wrong though.
    Anyway probably not a big deal to most I imagine, just that im pretty nerdy about these things :P.
    Its still a lovley set though, and I'd love to see what you do with it in the end.

Post edited by Dogz on
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited November 2012

Renderosity has a Monorail from RPublishing that fits into Neo Station, so it might work for an updated Parkside. (Though I'd resurface the train for that, myself.) It would look a little odd in head-on renders, but the track gauge may be right -- it works in Neo -- so it might work in Parkside.

They've also got the IN Elevated Subway for sale; I don't know if the cars can fit into another set or not.

Aemi1970 has some items at ShareCG that might work, but again, resurfacing might be needed to make it work in Parkside, and a lot of editing IS needed. (Also, fair warning: Aemi1970's catalog varies between the mundane and the Very Very VERY Adults-only -- I'm a bit surprised that ShareCG allows that.) They're some earlier work, and I think Aemi1970 had not yet figured out how Poser-style paths work, so the paths for the geometries and textures for all the PP2 files are well and truly borked. I was working on them the other day myself, and I just gave up at one point, because they're such a mess that it's very easy to overcorrect and create an entirely different mess. I may try again later.

mph-com has a bunch of European styled trains in Renderosity free stuff. Haven't really done anything with them yet.

If you're a member of Poserworld, they've also got a train car that might work, but it is just one car.

If you wanted to try something a shade more vintage looking -- tourist attraction for East Park, maybe -- you could resurface the Parkside Passenger Car and Parkside Freight. (I wish someone would.)

(Purely a side note: I do wish people who make train cars for passengers would divide the material zones lengthwise along the car, so you could hide half of it to work on a scene. For all the cars I've mentioned, except maybe the NPH cars, while they all have lots of material zones, you wind up having to turn off a lot more than you probably want, just to see what you're doing.)

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • HALO creativeHALO creative Posts: 96
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the links. :)

I'm probably leaning towards something like a London Underground Tube train.
    Here's one I found on Google 3D Warehouse that I may be able to import some how and do "something" with:
    http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=91d55d8f82749dd06aa3bf023a2b42a5

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,253
    edited December 1969

The IN Elevated Subway train also fits Ant Farm's Styx River Station.

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,126
    edited December 1969

Yea, I realised myself the station might need a tweak to get working with a train.. plans are afoot though, so watch this space :)

• DogzDogz Posts: 896
    edited November 2012

Yeah that sketch up model of the 2009 stock looks like your best bet.
    Hey - JT. I like the sound of your plans :D, a slight mod to the platform and a LUL deep surface train should fit ok. tight fit with the tunnel, but I live in London and thats how it is on some lines :)
    By the way JT - you have a PM sir.

Why_London_Underground_is_nicknamed_The_Tube.jpg
    220 x 158 - 19K
    pstube.jpg
    380 x 346 - 72K
    Post edited by Dogz on
  • ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

Yea, I realised myself the station might need a tweak to get working with a train.. plans are afoot though, so watch this space :)

Tweak, you say? A cutaway version of the pedestrian tunnel you can get a camera into would be nice to have. This is anachronistic I know but is all in the perspective :)

aas2s.jpg
    1500 x 628 - 122K
  • Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,126
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:

Tweak, you say? A cutaway version of the pedestrian tunnel you can get a camera into would be nice to have. This is anachronistic I know but is all in the perspective :)

There was also a request for a T-section for the stairs.. so will add that to the notes ;)

• zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

Good resources. :) Eagerly awaiting any expansions for the tube station and/or trains!

(@vwrangler: Textures for Parkside Freight and Passenger Car, you say? I could perhaps do that... do you have a visual reference or a general idea of what you want?)