Daz Studio crashes everytime I render more than 2 figures

Hi,

standard setup, nothing changed - just added content to the library.

Scene with just 3 lights and one camera - no background, no furniture etc.

Posing 3 figures and try to render (just click the render button - nothing setup).

Daz Studio crashes with no memory. I have 16GB RAM and a GTX970 with 4GB.

It's every time!

Comments

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,992

16 GB isn't much, and three figures, unless nakid, don't really fit on the card. I usually had crashes with 3 dressed characters.

Possible causes: Lots of Normal maps. Lots of large maps. Surface SubD set up high, on top of figure SubD.

A simple way to check is, load DS, check how much memory you use. Then load the scen. See how much memory you use now. Rule of thiúmb, if you have 7-8+GB memory usedbefore you hit the render button, it's going to crash almost always.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited October 2016

Download GPUz, it will show you how much memory you card is using.

If it drops to CPU, then it will use normal RAM, if you have Swap turned off ( you shouldn't) then it will crash if you use all the RAM available for your CPU.

Note: some thought turning off Virtual Memory when having an SSD is a good idea - it's not. On windows, you need slightly more than your physical RAM.

... And the sad truth, is rendering is resource intensive; there is no such thing as too much processing power for rendering and other 3D graphics work (excluding games); nor is 64GB too much RAM.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • cm152335cm152335 Posts: 421
    edited October 2016
    BeeMKay said:

16 GB isn't much, and three figures, unless nakid, don't really fit on the card. I usually had crashes with 3 dressed characters.

Possible causes: Lots of Normal maps. Lots of large maps. Surface SubD set up high, on top of figure SubD.

A simple way to check is, load DS, check how much memory you use. Then load the scen. See how much memory you use now. Rule of thiúmb, if you have 7-8+GB memory usedbefore you hit the render button, it's going to crash almost always.

my system is Windows 10 and only "4 GB" memory "I3"

previously it was a pain to render with 3 nude under previous system (same PC)

on same PC with windows 10, I succesfully render with room scene and  5 full clothes Genesis 3 Characters ,,  (not Iray)

the success under Windows 10 is the "compressed memory" feature of Windows 10 

on task manager to DS show use of 86% of memory (arround 3.2GB) full system use 98% and process 98% 99% when render

i suggest you to defrag your "harddisk" and use only 1 hard disk for Wirtual memory with fixed size the double of your main memory

if you got 4 GB real memory, use wirtual memory fixed to 8Gb

Post edited by cm152335 on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,992
    edited October 2016

The problem with Iray is that it basically doubles the scene size when it can't render in GPU mode. Hence, a scene that has 5-6 GB will almost all the time crash a 16GB RAM machine (5-6 Gb on top of the 2-3 GB "base load" of System and DS programs).

If my system has 3.5 GB "base load", and I load a scene of 5 GB, that's 8.5 GB base load. Then you start the render, and 5GB won't fit into the 4GB memory of the VidCard, so it's back to CPU&RAM. Then you have 3.5+5+5=14.5GB, and that's just very basic numbers. In most cases, this would crash the PC.

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    BeeMKay said:

The problem with Iray is that it basically doubles the scene size when it can't render in GPU mode. Hence, a scene that has 5-6 GB will almost all the time crash a 16GB RAM machine (5-6 Gb on top of the 2-3 GB "base load" of System and DS programs).

If my system has 3.5 GB "base load", and I load a scene of 5 GB, that's 8.5 GB base load. Then you start the render, and 5GB won't fit into the 4GB memory of the VidCard, so it's back to CPU&RAM. Then you have 3.5+5+5=14.5GB, and that's just very basic numbers. In most cases, this would crash the PC.

With proper (as in let Windows just do it) 'virtual memory' management, that can be reduced, but not totally eliminated.

• AndyP65AndyP65 Posts: 10

Thank, you all for your comments and hints.

I'll give it a try.