October 2016 Windows update information

Starting in October 2016, Microsoft is now releasing updates for Windows 7 and 8 as cumulative rollup updates, which can include past and current non-security updates you may not need or want.  If you would prefer to only install the security updates, see the instructions below.

This month's updates in Windows Update also include separate security updates for Microsoft Office, Adobe Flash Player, and .NET framework, and the Malicious Software Removal Tool.  You should install these security updates.

Windows 8
KB3185331 - this update includes both security updates and non-security updates.  To install only the security updates, do not install this update and instead install KB3192392, which is not available through Windows Update.  To get the security-only upodate, go to this page:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3192392

Windows 7
KB3185330 - this update includes both security updates and non-security updates.  To install only the security updates, do not install this update and instead install KB3192391, which is not available through Windows Update.  To get the security-only upodate, go to this page:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3192391

Comments

• Thanks I will look at that,I feel there is enough on my already full harddrive!

• Thanks v. much for this.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,743

Here's an altenative Windows Update manager. I imagine it may be updated to handle MS' new policy in a useful way.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_update_minitool.html

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,617
    edited October 2016

..I.disabled updating on the first of the month.  The way I see it this is it is a parting shot by MS against those of us who refused to give in to the "free" W10 beta test.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,328
    kyoto kid said:

..I.disabled updating on the first of the month.  The way I see it this is it is a parting shot by MS against those of us who refused to give in to the "free" W10 beta test.

As a great philosopher once pointed out: never change a system that works, especially if it's running Windows 7. 

Cheers,

Alex.

..y.eah looking to reconfigure my worktation as a W7/Linux dual boot.  That way I can still run all my 3D software in W7 offline  and deal with online activity through Linux.

• kyoto kid said:

..y.eah looking to reconfigure my worktation as a W7/Linux dual boot.  That way I can still run all my 3D software in W7 offline  and deal with online activity through Linux.

Why not VM it and run them concurrently?  Come on, I know you can do it!  Oh yeah, that's like...IT stuff.  cool

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,145
    edited October 2016

Because one needs to have more power to run a VM than one does to just dual boot. Dual booting allows all the computer's resources to go to the OS rather than just a portion. I'm not sure if you were trying to be facetious or rude :(. Please remember that not everyone loves Microsoft's current way of doing things (myself included). You're free to like it if you wish, but not everyone is thrilled by it ;).

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,158
    edited October 2016
    kyoto kid said:

I Agree.   After i got a stability update and it wrecked havoc with my graphic cards updates last month, I disabled windows updates too. I also deleted the telemetry app & unistalled the GWX app that got installed in August updates.  So from now on I get system & security updates and patches through my Kaspersky pro system download manager. and I'll do my driver updates software components or hardware manually through the manufactures sites.as long as supports holds out.  I'm not going to bother upgrading this system anymore with windows update. . so my days are number with MS too.   The good thing is I have a lot of stuff i can use for a long time.

Post edited by Ivy on
    AllenArt said:

Because one needs to have more power to run a VM than one does to just dual boot. Dual booting allows all the computer's resources to go to the OS rather than just a portion. I'm not sure if you were trying to be facetious or rude :(. Please remember that not everyone loves Microsoft's current way of doing things (myself included). You're free to like it if you wish, but not everyone is thrilled by it ;).

Laurie

...exactly.  The 12 GB on my system is already being taxed pretty heavily during CPU rendering in Iray.  To split that between the base system and VM would mean a serious reduction in render performance as the system would be going into swap mode more frequently.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    Ivy said:

I also deleted the telemetry app & unistalled the GWX app that got installed in August updates.

I noticed that one of this month's standard Win7 updates (not a security or special update) is listed as removing the GWX parasite. It seems to have worked, and I haven't heard anywhere — yet — that M$ slipped any "extra" functions into it.

• jomytagojomytago Posts: 0

More about...Windows Update

Jomy