No one asked me - Diomede posts screenshots on whatever

1303132333436»

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 16,607
    edited November 2020

Wow. For weeks I've been telling folks to do the same thing, but instead:

1. Select Actor (or Model for pre-Genesis)
    2. Edit > Fenric > Unlock Figure
    3. Animation > Detach Skeleton
    4. Drag Actor (or Model) out of the hierarchy
    5. Delete the now defunct hierarchy

We end up with a static prop object

In doing this, I can now use any clothes made for any other model for any figure I want - using VWD!

The example I use in this, J-Suit (zip up body suit) was already converted as described, then I step us through the whole process with Michael 4's Steam Cowboy Jacket. But it doesn't stop there. If we can get it to load into Carrara, we can turn it into cloth for anyone!

Here's the Article

Because of this, and the fact that it no longer relies on a rigging hierachy, we can completely redesign or even just tweak the model to our liking - add or delete buttons, pockets, belts buckles, whatever, add or delete vertices, even meld more than one article together into one single clothing object:

1. Select the objects to work together into one
    2. Edit > Group (Ctrl/Cmd G) Export as OBJ
    3. Import the new OBJ

I thought their used to be an easier method: Edit > Merge, but maybe that's only for an Object we've extracted the individual polymesh from? Not sure as I don't even see the function anymore.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Great idea about using this method to make modeling design mannequins, by the way! I love it!!!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 11,608

Agreed.  The great thing about using VWD to convert from one figure to another is that the loss of JCMs doesn't matter as much.  yes

Diomede said:

Agreed.  The great thing about using VWD to convert from one figure to another is that the loss of JCMs doesn't matter as much.  yes

Right! And poke-through is a non-issue!

edited December 2020

Michael 2 and Vicki 2, along with Poser Mastadon and Smiladon.  Release dates around 2002 or so?

I have the ambient light turned way up on a white background to emphasize the toon effect.

Vicki 2 and Michael 2.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 183K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 5,888

also, you can use the manequin to create new faces then create a morph in that plugin called DS  wink

just make sure it's lorez and not smoothed yes

when exporting as obj

That's an Awesome Render, Diomede!!! I love it!

As I try and convey on many pages of my site, the older generations are still really quite formidable for getting our stories told. They were the Best then, they're still really quite cool now. Less bells and whistles... perhaps. But with tools like VWD and Carrara, we can get great things to happen!

SciFi Uniform Mesh to Practice

I used the G8F primitive I created as a dummy to model a simple mesh for content practice.  Thank you again Misty.  

The steps to convert G8F to a primitive without using the skeleton plugin are here.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6270136/#Comment_6270136

Unfortunately, I don't think I will be using Carrara to model similar projects going forward.  Carrara's modeler does not like a 'non-manifold' edge.  That refers to an edge that connects more than two planes.  For example, the fabric of this dress hangs down to the thighs and then there is a hem.  The hem has thickness.  The dress fabric does not.  I welded the vertexes that join the dress fabric to the hem.  The edges along the weld are called a non-manifold edge.  If you look closely, you can see that although Carrara allowed me to do it, Carrara converted the edges to creased.  While the non-manifold edge is possible in Carrara, the result makes it more difficult to use selection loops, UVMapping, and some other tasks.  

aa01 test sci fi uniform doesnt like non manifold edge.jpg
    1872 x 997 - 352K
    aa02 test scifi uniform g8f.jpg
    1194 x 949 - 135K
  • draconis_purpuradraconis_purpura Posts: 11
    edited December 2020

Dartanbeck said:

"Wow. For weeks I've been telling folks to do the same thing, but instead:

1. Select Actor (or Model for pre-Genesis)
    2. Edit > Fenric > Unlock Figure
    3. Animation > Detach Skeleton
    4. Drag Actor (or Model) out of the hierarchy
    5. Delete the now defunct hierarchy

We end up with a static prop object"

Unless I am missing something, that seems a bit of a faff.  Can't you just export the figure as .obj from DS, but untick "Write Groups", then import it to Carrara?  If you want a mannequin you can convert it to a primitive as Diomede describes.

Post edited by draconis_purpura on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 2,815

Hey Diomede, I did a search and I think that you have this product: https://www.daz3d.com/brocade-iray-shaders--roundabout

Do these shaders work in Carrara?

Thanks!

UB - Happy New Year!

I don't think I own that one. 

However, I have purchased similar products by other PAs.  In my experience, I have to adjust such shaders if I want to use in Carrara.  That is standard carrara operating procedure.  They do work in the sense that once you put the maps in the correct shader tree channel, the maps work as expected.  

Textures Include:

• 110 Texture, Bump, Normal, Opacity, and Specular Maps

I write 'think' I don't own because the store function that usually shows 'purchased' and hides and unhides things with a checkbox has not been working properly for me.  angry

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 29,233

yeah manually adding maps by file works, I have those and others

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 2,815

Thanks Wendy!  Sometimes the IRAY shaders are in a format which doesn't load in Carrara.  In other words, they are not in runtime/textures.

Diomede, that is so weird.  I did a search a few weeks ago, and it turned up a post you did, listing it as a product you did in a Challenge.  Maybe I got the product wrong. :)

No big deal.  I need to make a really ornate render for a friend.

Happy New Year to you both as well.yes

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 29,233

I painfully made all of Those things  food shaders into Carrara versions 

a couple I couldn't figure out how to do as they used iray features honeycomb being one

but most I could just slot the maps into their appropriate equivalent and work out how much displacement I needed if any

this can be done with anything with maps and most shaders will list the types and sizes of maps

Carrara native doesn't mind them big 8K either 

• MystiarraMystiarra Posts: 35,998

found this link in  a Diomede post, forgot where, but i enjoyed it immensely

Flooby Nooby: The Cinematography of "The Incredibles" Part 1