Is it possible? moving files between DS 4.0 and DS 4.5

chriswongbizchriswongbiz Posts: 206
edited December 1969 in New Users

I am using Daz Studio 4.0 Pro on my computer. some items I purchased are actually for 4.5 but I didn't realized so I have never been able to use them.

Now I am planning to get a new laptop, i have a chance to install either DS 4 or DS 4.5, I want to try out DS 4.5, but my concern is, if I duplicate my Daz 3D file and move it there, ( instead of downloading and installing everything all over again ) would I be able to use my contents in DS 4.5, or can I open my daz files created by DS 4 in DS 4.5?

If they are not compatible, I wish to know at the least If I can or not install another DS 4.Pro there to share my current library files and daz files?

And how about the opposite, moving files from DS 4.5 to DS 4.0, if I had a DS studio 4.5 on another laptop, where I purchased something or created a scene by it, is it possible to move them back to my current computer's DS 4.0 Pro to use them?

Please advise.

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited November 2012

And how about the opposite, moving files from DS 4.5 to DS 4.0, if I had a DS studio 4.5 on another laptop, where I purchased something or created a scene by it, is it possible to move them back to my current computer’s DS 4.0 Pro to use them?

DS 4.5 uses the .DUF format for saving scenes, and these cannot be opened in DS4

DS4 uses the .DAZ format for saving scenes, and these CAN be opened in DS 4.5 Any content that works in 4.0 will work in DS 4.5 (plugins may need to be updated for the new SDK that 4.5 uses)

You cannot have DS4 and DS 4.5 on the same machine unfortunately, but there is no reason that all of your content should not work on DS 4.5 anyway.

EDIT:

When moving content from one machine to another, just make certain that the 'data' folder for DS4 is carried over to the new install, or the older scene files (.DAZ) will give errors. The scene files rely on the data folder being available to load the geometry files among other things.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • chriswongbizchriswongbiz Posts: 206
    edited December 1969

Thank you very much! I shall duplicate and move the whole content over when the time comes.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969