IRay do not render on Graphics card Quadro FX4600

Hi guys,

I try to use my Quadro FX4600 only to do render but what happen is:
- When I deselect CPU for render, the render do nothing! It close immediately and leave a black image.
- When I select CPU included, it run very slow... I think it only use CPU for render.

Do anyone know what happen?

Does Quadro FX4600 can not be used for IRay render?

Thank you

iray_fx_4600.png
1039 x 781 - 522K

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

The card only has 768MB of RAM, so it may be that the scene can't fit on the card.

• Yes, you are right...
    Do you have any idea why it said total memory is 4GB and only free 723 MB? (my attachment)

Thank you Fixmypcmike

iray_fx_4600.png
    955 x 563 - 25K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

I'm not certain, but it may be that total figure includes 4GB of system RAM, but the card isn't using any of that, only its own on-board RAM.

• I see... thank you Fixmypcmike

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited October 2016

Nope.  The compute level is too low on ALL of the FX series.  I had several FX-5800 with 4GB of RAM, but the compute level is too low and it was ignored by Iray.  This is laid out on the nVidia website on Iray compatibility.  CUDA compute level of 2.0 or better is required.  This invalidates all FX series Quadros as well as any 10xx series Tesla units.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • edited October 2016

for those that are interested, here's the links to what kendall sears was referring to regarding compute level

current gpus

https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus

legacy gpus

https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-legacy-gpus

Post edited by DrunkMonkeyProductions on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

If it's got less than about 512 cuda, then it's compute is sub 2.0.

Nope...the GT 430/440 only have 96 cores and they are Compute level 2.1....and Iray usable.

• ccthien83ccthien83 Posts: 383

Thank you DrunkMonkeyProductions and mjc1016,

As I see another thread: "GTX 1080 Iray support?" and see that GTX 1080 got problem also.
    Do we have a list of NVIDIA currently support IRay?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

It's not a list by model but rather a range...the 430/440 1 GB through the 9x0 (including the Titans) and the corresponding Quadro cards.  The 10x0 support is on the way, but is at the mercy of Nvidia releasing the necessary support packages/SDK.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited October 2016

for those that are interested, here's the links to what kendall sears was referring to regarding compute level

current gpus

https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus

legacy gpus

https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-legacy-gpus

Based on some quick research, seems like it's the number of cuda cores.

Nope, again. "Compute Levels" have to do with what internal operands the specific CUDA cores can run. Newer GPUs have operands that older ones do not. nVidia coded Iray to use operands that need Compute Level 2.0+.  This means that if you were to run Iray on a Compute Level 1.1/1.3 (FX series) the card would lock up (freeze).  Luckily, nVidia puts a check in the Iray code to bail if the Compute Level is too low.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on

Thank you Kendall Sears and mjc1016. That sound clear.

So "Compute Capability" 2.0+ will be safe to use on IRay (And all Quadro FX card is not on the list).

• Be careful... if you're on that lower line, it likely won't be long before your card is no longer supported.  The higher you can afford to go on the Compute Level chart, the better off you'll be.

Kendall

Thank you Kendall for notice me about that.. smiley

• mjc1016 said:

Nope...the GT 430/440 only have 96 cores and they are Compute level 2.1....and Iray usable.

thanks for that info, didn't get that far down the list, but at 1GB of ram, i don't think they'd be very "iray usable".

Nope, again. "Compute Levels" have to do with what internal operands the specific CUDA cores can run. Newer GPUs have operands that older ones do not. nVidia coded Iray to use operands that need Compute Level 2.0+.  This means that if you were to run Iray on a Compute Level 1.1/1.3 (FX series) the card would lock up (freeze).  Luckily, nVidia puts a check in the Iray code to bail if the Compute Level is too low.

Kendall

Thanks for the information regarding the "compute level" specifics, still trying to figure out the where as's and what for's for gpu rendering myself.