When DS can't find a texture for an item you've installed...how to permanently tell it where it is?

joea64_bdfaa5ca94joea64_bdfaa5ca94 Posts: 298
edited December 1969 in New Users

There are cases where, for one reason or another, Daz Studio can't find the texture for an item you're loading into a scene, and you have to manually instruct the program where to find the texture. This can be time-consuming to dig through all the subdirectories in /Textures to find the right one, especially if you have to do it several times (because you're loading several copies of said item). How do you tell Daz Studio permanently where to find a particular texture so that you don't have to go through that dialog again every time you load that particular item?

Comments

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

I generally move the folder or rename the file to agree with where/what DS thinks it is.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846
    edited December 1969

If it's a Poser format file (CR2,PP2,HR2,PZ2 etc) then I open it in a text editor (they are plain ascii) and change the pathway's to point to the file, that way I can check the formatting is correct as that can cause DS to throw a "missing file" warning too, the pathway should look similar to this -

":Runtime:Textures:Vendor:Product:Texture.ext"

DS native formats (DS,DSA,DSB) I use the Script IDE plugin, it used to come in the Script Dev kit but it's now built into DS4, and edit the pathways in it, they should look similar to what you see in a Poser file, but with an / instead of an :

DUF & DSF files are ascii so they can be edited in a text editor, they may be compressed so you might have to unpack them first, use the batch converter plugin in DS4, the pathways in these are the same as the other DS files.

.DAZ scene files you can't edit, so either do as Marieah, or locate the textures in DS and then resave the .DAZ scene file.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited December 1969

Save a new preset, or use a text editor to alter the path in the existing preset.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited November 2012

I don't know with DS 4.5 but w DS 4 iirc, I just pointed to the texture and it updated the path for me. Any future use of the object had the correct path. I may be remembering wrong though. I thought, the main reason I had to manually edit the files was when the path was coded not relative. (Or, when the PA had 5 different obj/texture folders with different versions of their name and I, being as nuts for minor details like that (programmer background) had to move them into single folder set for PA in my library. That kind of thing strikes me as very sloppy and I feel the need to *fix* it ;p )

Btw, quick tip for anyone who doesn't know. If one is going to a complex path repeatedly and the dialog they are using uses the standard MS dialog that shows 'favorites' on the left side, the path can be dragged and dropped onto favorites so going back is a single click next time. Paths can be added and removed on an as-need basis very easily.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:

Btw, quick tip for anyone who doesn't know. If one is going to a complex path repeatedly and the dialog they are using uses the standard MS dialog that shows 'favorites' on the left side, the path can be dragged and dropped onto favorites so going back is a single click next time. Paths can be added and removed on an as-need basis very easily.

This is an incredible tip, and not just for DS use. I've used a PC for years and did not know about this. How did I miss that? THANK YOU!!