slow render in new computer

johnfairbanksjohnfairbanks Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I have bryce 7 pro installed on my old dell latitude d820 duel core with xp running and 1.5 gigs or ram and it takes 5 seconds to render a super simple scene. The same bryce 7 program on my much newer dell precision m4500 running 7 with an i7 and 4 gigs or ram and a nvidia 880 gpu takes 43 seconds to render the exact same simple scene. All other 3d programs run much faster in my newer precision.. but not bryce ... which I love very much. Any help appreciated

Comments

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Dont let the rendering of a single scenario convince you that your new computer will not perform well under B7. Are you certain you set up the render priority properly?

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

I have bryce 7 pro installed on my old dell latitude d820 duel core with xp running and 1.5 gigs or ram and it takes 5 seconds to render a super simple scene. The same bryce 7 program on my much newer dell precision m4500 running 7 with an i7 and 4 gigs or ram and a nvidia 880 gpu takes 43 seconds to render the exact same simple scene. All other 3d programs run much faster in my newer precision.. but not bryce ... which I love very much. Any help appreciated

My guess is it's the render priority setting. As I understand it, at the low setting it will only use one core even if you have 2 or more cores. At the normal setting I think it uses half the number of cores available and only at the high setting will it make use of all the available cores.

• johnfairbanksjohnfairbanks Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

thanks for your response

Everything is set at default. The render priority is checked as normal on both both programs. Bryce 7 was just recently downloaded and installed and opened on each laptop. There is a scene that appears in the nano preview when you first open the program for the first time. When I click the center render button with each program in "downloaded default settings" the renders take hugely different times.

the i7 quad core takes 45 seconds -- a dell precision m4500 running windows 7
    the duel core takes 5 seconds -- a much older dell latitude d820 running xp home

I have also just downloaded and installed bryce 7 pro on a 6 core hp desktop running windows 7 with 8 gigs or ram. The same default setting render takes 3 seconds.

Maybe my mobile nvidia card in the dell precision m45oo needs an updated driver. But the dell precision m4500 renders daz studio images about 5 times faster than on the old xp laptop. So the problem seem peculiar to bryce so far.

Any suggestion appreciated. I like Bryce. I'm now going to try vue on both laptops. I want to render natural landscapes mostly. Thats why I like bryce and vue.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

As I said before do not let a single file convince you there is a problem. Test the render speeds on multiple Bryce scenarios, then you will have a better idea. What is not obvious to you just yet is that different render functions interact with multiprocessors differently. There are a few functions which are broken under multi-core rendering but works fine on a single core or dual core. Who knows which features your sample scene utilizes? it could be giving a false reading on the true total render time comparison. Test some other files as well and if they too show a speed decrease we can look further into why it may be so. Best of luck.

• Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I have noticed, that change the position from the camera automatically change the rendertime and i think this is normal.