BRASS BALL ammo

edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Here is a great texture I found on a model on turbo squid. Its one of the best I have ever seen for Hard Ball Military ammo. Notice the very slight scratches all over the objects that seem to go in many directions as well as the sort of NOISE in the objects.

How was this done and what Channels would I use in Carrara to pull this off?

I hate my Shiney like glass shader I have on my brass ammo!

brass.jpg
587 x 584 - 128K

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,885
    edited December 1969

why not use a bump map

Doc2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 262K
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited November 2012

Is this close enough?

NO REFLECTIONS. uses ANISOTROPIC shading to spread the highlight and a light rig parented to the camera.

*your mileage may vary*

Download scene file here:
    http://3d.wetcircuit.com/xtra/brass_ammo.zip

Doc50.png
    640 x 480 - 75K
    Post edited by wetcircuit on
  • edited December 1969

I am sorry it would be in the BUMP channel the metal is smooth.. The look is very hard to explain. If anyone has spent anytime around military ammo it looks sort of scratched but not in a CUT into the metal kind of thing. THE bullet in my image is PERFECT. I think hes got NOISE in the Highlight or shine channel BUT he could also have a color in the same channel not sure

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

So then move the scratches in the bump channel if you think that's going to get the look you want.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,839
    edited December 1969

I am sorry it would be in the BUMP channel the metal is smooth.. The look is very hard to explain. If anyone has spent anytime around military ammo it looks sort of scratched but not in a CUT into the metal kind of thing. THE bullet in my image is PERFECT. I think hes got NOISE in the Highlight or shine channel BUT he could also have a color in the same channel not sure

If it has scratches then it is not smooth. The scratches in the ammo are merely too small to be felt.