Itemized Order history is impossible to use

AnatisAnatis Posts: 25
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I had a corrupted file and needed to reset a download.
I haven't bought anything for months here, so picture my surprise when I went to reset -- and could do absolutely squat in terms of finding what I was looking for in the order history.

It is impossible to find *anything* unless you know the exact name of the product.

If it were at least possible to reset things from the order page, at least you wouldn't have to spend hours trawling through the history trying to find whatever was updated along with the product you're using.

Could you please implement an option of sorting by DATE at least?

As it is, I've given up.
I'd given up on Daz as a whole already (And still want my refund for the PC membership as it was originally promised! NOT a store credit.)
Now I can't even find stuff I'd bought over the 10+ years I've been a customer here.
Do you have any idea what it's like having to go through over 150 pages of items?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,197
    edited December 1969

If you find the order that will give you the name. Set the itemised Order History to show 50 items per page, then go to page 2 (or later) and edit the URL to show a reasonable guess for the page number with your item, bearing in mind that the listing is alphabetical. Yes, DAZ is aware that the current page is unsatisfactory for pretty well all users but updating it may take a while - there are several features that were lost with the new code and need restoring.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,138
    edited November 2012

... Yes, DAZ is aware that the current page is unsatisfactory for pretty well all users but updating it may take a while - ... .

Yes, and it is well known that bridges & roads in the US are in desperate need of repair and have been for 25 years, but I'm afraid we'll have new bridges before DAZ does anything substantial with their new and improved website. :-(

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,038
    edited December 1969

When I buy any 3D content I make a .pdf file of the product webpage and put them all in one folder. My Mac makes the .pdf icon the image of the product page so I can see at a glance what I've bought and the name of the product.

Because I noticed early on that product pages can vanish forever from the internet, I also make a folder for every product I buy, and put every scrap of information about that product in the folder - the installer, the installer folder, the product webpage, all images of the product, the Read Me file, the installed files list, the texture templates, the license, the link to the original product webpage, copies of forum discussions about the product - everything. I have DAZ3D products for which there are no product pages for anymore on the internet. Same with Renderosity products. Sometimes the page is still there, but all the images are gone., and the links don't work. And the texture templates are not accessable.

It depends on how organized you want to be.

I have absolutely no trouble at all finding what I want in the Itemized Order History.

edited November 2012

Yes, and the military travels in convoys with alternative river crossing equipment and know-how. It all depends on how hostile you suspect your travel to be and how prepared you are. 8-o

FWIW I too keep much information about each product I buy. Original web page, templates, Mac and PC versions of files, and copies of my order history. But I really don't like scrounging in the mud trying to find a diamond that used to float on the surface. :-Q

Although I have to admit that this hasn't been much of a problem lately because I've essentially stopped buying things at DAZ (or any 3D store). But when I do have occasion to suspect* I need to reset a model to get an update then I run smack into the new and improved itemized purchase history again.

* "suspect" is the word I prefer because I'm not sure there is any way to know something's been updated since you last downloaded it 4 years ago. Not that there ever was a reliable way, but I think there used to be a page that listed updates. Don't know if there is now.

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

Fauvist said:
    When I buy any 3D content I make a .pdf file of the product webpage and put them all in one folder. My Mac makes the .pdf icon the image of the product page so I can see at a glance what I've bought and the name of the product.

Because I noticed early on that product pages can vanish forever from the internet, I also make a folder for every product I buy, and put every scrap of information about that product in the folder - the installer, the installer folder, the product webpage, all images of the product, the Read Me file, the installed files list, the texture templates, the license, the link to the original product webpage, copies of forum discussions about the product - everything. I have DAZ3D products for which there are no product pages for anymore on the internet. Same with Renderosity products. Sometimes the page is still there, but all the images are gone., and the links don't work. And the texture templates are not accessable.

I have absolutely no trouble at all finding what I want in the Itemized Order History.

How do you create a PDF of a web page? That's a good idea. Didn't know you could do that.

edited November 2012

Don't know about saving as a PDF but I save the pages as a single "Web Archive" format file (*.mht) with the standard Windows "File-->SaveAs" feature.

What would be the advantages of PDF over MHT?

I suspect that if one had the full Adobe Acrobat installed that it would provide a way to convert HTML to PDF. I had Adobe Acrobat7 for several years (still do) but only used it once. It's sat in a drawer for the last 3 or 4 years.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,197
    edited December 1969

Macs have a built-in print to PDF option, I believe. There are free tools Windows that do the same (PDF Creator, I think, is the best known) or Windows has its own xps format, though that's less portable.

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

the IOH is not impossible to use. I printed it out and then folded it into a quite stylish hat

• PuntomausPuntomaus Posts: 450
    edited December 1969

Try this one, solves all the current problems with the order history :)

http://taosoft.dk/software/dazhm/

edited December 1969

Macs have a built-in print to PDF option, I believe. There are free tools Windows that do the same (PDF Creator, I think, is the best known) or Windows has its own xps format, though that's less portable.

Yes, the Mac has a Print to .pdf button. On the Mac, you can also Control+click on the webpage and choose "Save page as" and it gives you a few options for saving the page.

You can also save the product page by sizing the page so the entire thing is visible on your computer screen, then making a screen capture and saving it as a jpg or png.

edited December 1969

Don't know about saving as a PDF but I save the pages as a single "Web Archive" format file (*.mht) with the standard Windows "File-->SaveAs" feature.

What would be the advantages of PDF over MHT?

I suspect that if one had the full Adobe Acrobat installed that it would provide a way to convert HTML to PDF. I had Adobe Acrobat7 for several years (still do) but only used it once. It's sat in a drawer for the last 3 or 4 years.

When you save the webpage as a PDF file, it's just one file - like opening a JPG image. But when you save a webpage as a webpage HTML or whatever, you get a whole ton of files of different kinds.

I ususally go for the easiest, most convienient solution.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,745
    edited December 1969

Ledhead said:
    How do you create a PDF of a web page? That's a good idea. Didn't know you could do that.

I recommend a free firefox add on called Fireshot that allows you to save and edit both full and partial pages in a wide variety of formats, including PDF. Incredibly useful, incredibly easy and free... what's not to like?
    edited December 1969

Ledhead said:

I recommend a free firefox add on called Fireshot that allows you to save and edit both full and partial pages in a wide variety of formats, including PDF. Incredibly useful, incredibly easy and free... what's not to like?

When I go to the Mozilla site for add-ons, Fireshot isn't listed?

• mitchmanmitchman Posts: 38
    edited December 1969

Anatis said:
    I had a corrupted file and needed to reset a download.
    I haven't bought anything for months here, so picture my surprise when I went to reset -- and could do absolutely squat in terms of finding what I was looking for in the order history.

It is impossible to find *anything* unless you know the exact name of the product.

If it were at least possible to reset things from the order page, at least you wouldn't have to spend hours trawling through the history trying to find whatever was updated along with the product you're using.

Could you please implement an option of sorting by DATE at least?

As it is, I've given up.
    I'd given up on Daz as a whole already (And still want my refund for the PC membership as it was originally promised! NOT a store credit.)
    Now I can't even find stuff I'd bought over the 10+ years I've been a customer here.
    Do you have any idea what it's like having to go through over 150 pages of items?

Same boat here. Wishlist is also impossible to use - the notes box is beyond stupid. I have 600+ items in my list and scrolling was a breeze before - not now. Down to like 5 items on the screen at a time. Useless. If it doesn't change by next year, I will likely delete it all... assuming I bother to come back.

I am also down to picking up a few free items when I remember to look - managed to get the DSON thingy in hopes of being able to use Genesis, but alas, it doesn't work. DAZ made Genesis a DAZ Studio exclusive, then I got booted from the PC club, so DAZ has lost me as a customer after after like 8 years of monthly membership payments and about $3000 worth of content. I'm going back to Rendo & RDNA for all my content. SO disappointed - love some of the venders here, but I am not even going to bother with looking after all the "improvements," via an unusable website & content. Have fun y'all.

edited November 2012

Fauvist said:
    When you save the webpage as a PDF file, it's just one file - like opening a JPG image. But when you save a webpage as a webpage HTML or whatever, you get a whole ton of files of different kinds.

emphasis mine

Not completely correct. MHT format saves the whole web page as a single file. Very handy! :) See wikipedia article.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MHTML

capture_11132012_101707.jpg
    600 x 182 - 34K
  • ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited November 2012

Fauvist said:

emphasis mine

Not completely correct. MHT format saves the whole web page as a single file. Very handy! :) See wikipedia article.

That doesn't come up for me when I try to save the page.

Edited: Well I have it now. It was a Firefox add-on.

TY

Post edited by ledhead on
  • kmw_5213kmw_5213 Posts: 74
    edited December 1969

Fauvist said:

That's good news for you!

The rest of us didn't realize we'd have to put all that work into maintaining our libraries. :) Especially the newbies that we all were once and just downloaded with abandon and glee so that we could get to playing with the durn things. What you're talking about is some kind of Library of Product Congress. Of course, if you want to put that much work into it.

Seriously though, we shouldn't have to. I got tired just reading what you do. I have items going back to DAZ's first days when I decided to stop using freebies and own my content. We're talking Vic and Mike first generation. Even if we wanted to go your route, it's too late for a lot of that stuff. I used to keep an Excel spreadsheet with necessary data but that could only be updated as long as I was interested in what I was doing. With the explosion that was Genesis and an incredible drop in purchases over the years across the board, I don't even know where that file is anymore. :)

Bottom line, an Itemized Order History shouldn't be cumbersome. I love how at Rendo you can find a product in your history by vendor or if you know a partial phrase in the product name. I don't think twice about going there for researching my purchases. Since dispensing with the all valuable 'You already purchased this' feature and the hard to navigate History, I avoid that area of this site. I also avoid buying older items I'm not sure I already have.

kmw

• kmw_5213kmw_5213 Posts: 74
    edited November 2012

mitchman said:
    Wishlist is also impossible to use - the notes box is beyond stupid. I have 600+ items in my list and scrolling was a breeze before - not now. Down to like 5 items on the screen at a time. Useless. If it doesn't change by next year, I will likely delete it all... assuming I bother to come back.

I've always been curious about the comments box. Do I list a proposed date of purchase for that product? List who can get me what for Christmas/birthdays? Do I break down why I want that particular product to encourage me to spend money on it? Can I use it to blog?

mitchman said:
    I am also down to picking up a few free items when I remember to look

I don't forget to look, though I do forget to complete the checkout and end up removing it from the cart. I always feel a little guilty grabbing freebies. Never felt that way at DAZ because I spent so much money here anyway. Had a great sense of entitlement. But since I spend so little here these days... Even the freebies I've taken I haven't downloaded at all. I grab one or two after I've made a purchase.

mitchman said:
    - managed to get the DSON thingy in hopes of being able to use Genesis, but alas, it doesn't work.

I was half afraid of that. Right now I can only use Poser 8 so I haven't even been able to explore Genesis.

then I got booted from the PC club,

What'd you do? Make fun of an Admin's syntax?

I'm going back to Rendo & RDNA

Back? I'd never leave. Every store has its advantages. Plus the Gen 4 support never stops there. :)

kmw

Post edited by kmw_5213 on
    edited December 1969

Ledhead said:
    Fauvist said:

emphasis mine

That doesn't come up for me when I try to save the page.

Edited: Well I have it now. It was a Firefox add-on.

TY

The Wikipedia article did mention that it was browser dependent. I've had the MHT-save feature for years and I've always used the latest version of InternetExplorer.