I'm new and need help!

cynholsencynholsen Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

So this is probably a dumb question...but how do you actually get characters? I just downloaded DAZ 4.5 and the tutorial sounds like there's supposed to be a pre-loaded figure, but I've got nothing. Do I have to buy figures separately?

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited November 2012

cynholsen said:
    So this is probably a dumb question...but how do you actually get characters? I just downloaded DAZ 4.5 and the tutorial sounds like there's supposed to be a pre-loaded figure, but I've got nothing. Do I have to buy figures separately?

When you download the software you will get something called genesis starter essentials. You must install this package first to use the characters. Genesis, a female character and a male character are included with that set. When you have this loaded, Daz will launch with a generic character you can change amd customize using dials to make any way you want.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Did you download and install the Genesis Essentials package?

That's the basic content pack with the Genesis base figure and some basic characters for it.

And no, you don't HAVE to buy other characters. You can 'roll your own', but the included morph packs are somewhat limited in scope. There are literally hundreds of freebies available, though.

ShareCG. www.sharecg.com
    Renderosity www.renderosity.com

Those are probably the two most reliable/widest variety sites for content. Both require registration before downloading. Look specifically for Genesis content.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    You can 'roll your own', .
    LOL yeah rolling your own is so much fun. ;)
  • ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    mjc1016 said:
    You can 'roll your own', .
    LOL yeah rolling your own is so much fun. ;)

Actually, it kind of is. But it becomes an absolute obsession at least in my case.

"Hey! That's not a bad figure and pretty low poly... but.... I think I can do better".

At some point I'm going to have to stop tweaking and start working.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I can spend hours on tweaking and for me Genesis is so much more fun when you have a good number of morph shape to choose from.