Carrara 8.5 crashes when starting

I have updated Carrara and content, with Install Manager. But now none of the new 8.5 (64 / 32 bit and beta's) won't start. It crashes within a few seconds. I can start v8.1 32 bit en v7. I reinstalled with a download. Uninstall gave an error, so installed it over the existing one. Install went fine, but same problem. It crashes.

Before the install, 8.5.0.243 gave no error and Carrara was running fine.

Running Windows 10 64 bit. Nu succes with running as administrator.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,931

sometimes it can be a bad third party plugin file in

your drive:\programs\Daz\DAZ 3D\Carrara8.5\Extensions

often a good idea to move this folder before reinstalling to check as some are for specific builds

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,248

You might also try adding Carrara (all of them) to your exclusions in Anti-virus.

Sad said:

sometimes it can be a bad third party plugin file in

your drive:\programs\Daz\DAZ 3D\Carrara8.5\Extensions

often a good idea to move this folder before reinstalling to check as some are for specific builds

Good call, Wendy!

• PjotterPjotter Posts: 274

Thanks for the replies. Tried both suggestions, but it did not help. It still crashes within a few seconds.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,823

do a manual install rather than using DiM .. I had to do that once.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Wasn't there something also about reseting the preferences?

Not shure which file it was though.

I have done a manual install. Same result. Maybe Carrara doesn't like me anymore because I haven't used him for a while.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited August 2016

Re-start your computer in safe mode (with internet connection) and re-download the program.

Sometime, a bad bit can be a problem.

With W10 (and W7-8 with a few updates), each movement on your computer is sent to Microsoft and could overload your connection streaming.

Post edited by DUDU on
  • What is "a while" ?

When they changed from Valentina to Postgres CMS they made changes to C also and if you have the incorrect CMS setup at least the beta will crash.

Well, I start Carrara. I see the Carrara startup image for about 2 seconds, then I get the message: "Carrara 8 has stopped working." I think this is a Windows message.

As said before, 8.5.0 works fine, but 8.5.1 is causing me problems. 32 and 64 bit and Beta.

I have noticed with 8.5.1 more is installed. It is also installing / updating Visual MS C++ libraries. I do not have this with 8.5.0.

Well, I start Carrara. I see the Carrara startup image for about 2 seconds, then I get the message: "Carrara 8 has stopped working." I think this is a Windows message.

As said before, 8.5.0 works fine, but 8.5.1 is causing me problems. 32 and 64 bit and Beta.

I have noticed with 8.5.1 more is installed. It is also installing / updating Visual MS C++ libraries. I do not have this with 8.5.0.

Every version of the 8.5 beta came with a new update to those Visual MS C++ libraries. It was just part of the process. 

I know there are others whom have many (or at least two) versions of Carrara installed at the same time, but I'm fairly certain that, somewhere along the way - this is what screwed up your Carrara. Something just isn't playing right. 

Carrara 8 (and/or 8.5) 32 bit and 64 bit? Why both? 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,931

I have several versions and all play ok, 32 bit for mov options

but they do not share the folders with extensions etc, thats where issues arise.

need their build specific versions.

in fact all in each their own folder manually installed on a secondary drive.

Because 32 and 64 bit were in my install manager. It was an update of 106 items and did not check them.

I removed all 8 and 8.5 versions and did a clean install of 8.5.1. Same result: Crash.

I decided to give it up. Moving on with 8.5.0.204. Probably not missing much.

I expect new updates will give me the same problem. But I do not expect any the coming years.

Thanks for all the input.

If you're using the DIM, check out what you have selected for filters > what you see when DIM tells you what you have. That's a vital part of using DIM successfully or you might end up having duplicates (unnecessarily) install on your system, which can mess things up. 

Carrara 8.5 crossed some important borders - especially since it was released officially out of beta.

There were detailed instructions at that time regarding converting from having Daz Studio's Valentia database over to the new Postgre database. Now everything is using Postgre, so once we switch (properly) to that, we should be okay until they lets us know of something new. 

After much searching around, I've found the 'official' instructions for converting from Valentia to Postgre

I'm really sorry for you that you're having these issues. We have very little to go on - on our end - other than what you tell us... which isn't much.

In the filters for DIM, I went through and set it up for my 64 bit OS, etc., I went through all of the instructional videos they have for DIM before I started using it, and again when I had questions... which was quite some time ago.

Here is a list of DIM-related videos by Daz3d

I know you're having a rough time right now... but with your help, we should be able to get this resolved. And when this stuff is up and rockin'... it really ROCKS! (My opinion)

Also, for what it's worth... here are the official Carrara 8.5 installation instructions. Who knows? It might be something simple?

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,823

There were detailed instructions at that time regarding converting from having Daz Studio's Valentia database over to the new Postgre database. Now everything is using Postgre, so once we switch (properly) to that, we should be okay until they lets us know of something new. 

Thinking back I had this issue as well.. after a fresh install of Windows I hadn't done the conversion/install of Postgre and Carrara would fall over when starting up.. yes 

Stezza said:

Thinking back I had this issue as well.. after a fresh install of Windows I hadn't done the conversion/install of Postgre and Carrara would fall over when starting up.. yes 

Yeah... it was a bit of a mess for us who weren't used to running DS back then. I was trying to find some helpful posts from back then, but ran out of time - so I tried to help with what memory served! ;)

Thanks Dartanbeck, this was very helpfull. Now I have something I can work with. I haven't done animation for a while and because of that, didn't follow the new developments. Last week was the first time I have used DIM. But got it now. Will take a couple of days, but will be back on this. Now I know how.

Thanks Dartanbeck, this was very helpfull. Now I have something I can work with. I haven't done animation for a while and because of that, didn't follow the new developments. Last week was the first time I have used DIM. But got it now. Will take a couple of days, but will be back on this. Now I know how.

I hope it helps. If not, though... it was a place to start. Then come back and we'll get this fixed... one way or another... I hope ;)