Question - M4 to M5 texture converting (Re-used for Shader&Surfaceing; Questions)

13»

Comments

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    What's weirder is that i'm so far the only one who has this issue. Many people use SSS. Odd that no-one has raised the issue before me.

No you're not the only one I've had it before but I can't remember what I did to get rid of it.
    Trying a few things out, to see if I can replicate it.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited November 2012

Thanks man!!! This has been a major set back for me... and I'm kinda out of Ideas to fix it. Thus I am at a stalemate. :( SSS is brilliant! And this is holding me back from actually being able to use it in my renders. So many realistic renderers do fantastic work with it!

Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited December 1969

Have you tried different lights.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    Quickly checked... All the skin zones are the same "group 3" SSS Should they be different groups?

no that is how it should be... :)
    edited December 1969

I think I've found the problem - subsurface scale - at 1 I get the lines, increase it to 4, I didn't get them then.

edited December 1969

Other lights appear to be the same :(

Thanks Szark! I figured that was set up right.

I think there's something wrong with my surface parameters. I'll prep up a image of all my surface settings for the skin.

edited December 1969

I think I've found the problem - subsurface scale - at 1 I get the lines, increase it to 4, I didn't get them then.

I shall give that a go!

edited November 2012

arr so it is a depth, thickness thing......I was wondering why DT set his Interjection Scale to 1.70...nicely done scorpio64dragon.

I couldn't test this myself for you Spyro as I have no desktop at the monent and Daz Studio won't work on this (my wife's) laptop.

Post edited by Szark on
    edited November 2012

Well I have no-idea what SSS Scale is, but wow, it fixed that problem. One thing I noticed was the SSS reduced in intensity and effect... SSS Scale isn't physically stretching the SSS Mat making it's position all out of whack and cutting it off at the edges is it?

EDIT: Sorry Szark just answered that question, it's depth, not the scale of the texture :-P

Low_SSS_Test_020.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 95K
    Low_SSS_Test_020_SSSScale4.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 94K
    edited December 1969

This is at 1.70 scale... It's greatly reduced the lines, but not fully

Low_SSS_Test_020_SSSScale1-70.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 95K
  • Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited November 2012

Szark said:
    arr so it is a depth, thickness thing......I was wondering why DT set his Interjection Scale to 1.70...nicely done scorpio64dragon.

I couldn't test this myself for you Spyro as I have no desktop at the monent and Daz Studio won't work on this (my wife's) laptop.

Solution:

Get your wife a laptop that can handle 3D and install all your content on it. :)

Yeah, that should solve the issue(s).

Next problem:

Explain why you have installed an ungodly amount of stuff on her new laptop....

Post edited by Norse Graphics on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Scorpio and Szark!! :) Couldn't have done it without you :cheese:

edited November 2012

Szark said:

I couldn't test this myself for you Spyro as I have no desktop at the moment and Daz Studio won't work on this (my wife's) laptop.

Solution:

Get your wife a laptop that can handle 3D and install all your content on it. :)

Yeah, that should solve the issue(s).

Next problem:

Explain why you have installed an ungodly amount of stuff on her new laptop....LOL Norse Hey if I could afford it I would buy myself a new desktop...I hate laptops.

Spyro yeah the Scale setting lets US2 know how thick the skin is. In pwSurface2 the optimal scale is 1. Looks like I will have to rethink the scale settings in future.

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

So why is the scale causing these lines if scale 1 is ideal? The Interjection scale is 1.70 and in Raw arts tut it's scale 1... Scale 3-4 eliminates the lines at the cost of lost SSS effect... The face ears and chest have all lost the essence of why we use SSS :( I just compaired them all in photo viewer, and moved between them. I like value 4 cos there are no lines... I dislike it cos all the sss detail is gone :(

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or even matters to this situation anymore, but looking at those pics it reminds me of the errors addressed in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFlaDa-TKKw&feature=relmfu

edited December 1969

This is where my knowledge ends I am affriad Spyro.....I have no idea why it is happening, sorry I can't help more. I am sitting here scratching my head.

edited December 1969

I should send raw art and the maker of interjection a pm considering they use scale of 1-1.7 I assume they had the same issue and found a way to fix it.

edited December 1969

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or even matters to this situation anymore, but looking at those pics it reminds me of the errors addressed in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFlaDa-TKKw&feature=relmfu

Yes I did watch that and it helped with intensity and brightness of the SSS, The issue was that the arms and legs for unknown reasons was creating a strange effect largely on the legs and slightly on the arms (As you can see in my test renders) with darker lines. This is genesis and the mesh smoothing shouldn't be causing the issue... As it never does with any other types of mats and shader or any lighting.

Unfortunately the vid didn't address the problem we face with that specifically. I do understand the colour settings and so on for the darker skin tones. But the fact is both the tut from raw art and the shader from Interjection both use SSS Scale 1 and 1.70. Only the scale of 4 removes the lines, yet they didn't mention any lines issues :S

I'm gonna have a play with the Interjection shader and see if it has the same issue.

edited December 1969

I don't think it always happens, I think it occurs with a combination of things. Lighting and render settings play a part, as you foundwhen the render is la large size the lines disappear. the more complicated the shaders and lighting get the more things have to be tweaked depending on the image, at least thats what I'm finding.

edited November 2012

I don't think it always happens, I think it occurs with a combination of things. Lighting and render settings play a part, as you foundwhen the render is la large size the lines disappear. the more complicated the shaders and lighting get the more things have to be tweaked depending on the image, at least thats what I'm finding.

I do agree there :) I just tried out the parameters from M5 Dave Elite... Which uses SSS... I simply replaced the SSS Mats with Interjections, added my own character Diff with Bump and Spec (I havent changed the M5 elite settings such as colour and stength yet) But A quick render revealed under the same Lights and render settings, I HAVE NO lines LOL! Very weired. Perhaps the skin parameters I used with two layers of spec, Both dif and SSS mats mixed with to make up the settings for SSS had played a part in the issue.

Dunno... But here is the test render using M5 Elite parameters with Interjection SSS Mats.

FYI - the SSS Scale IS 1.70

Low_SSS_Test_020_SSSM5Elite.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 101K