How do I unlock categories

I am trying to organize content, but I keep running into categories that cannot be renamed, moved or deleted. I can copy them, but then it leaves the category there but with nothing in it.

How do I eliminate them?

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,226

Which application (Daz Studio?) and what version are you running?

• edited August 2016

Sorry.. DS 4.8

Post edited by dragonmuse_d229ba601d on

Are these categories that you created yourself, or Daz Studio root categories defined by Daz Studio? As far as I know, you can only rename categories that you created yourself. Categories that you created have a little U on the folder icon by the category name.

• It's neither.. It is categories that the installers are making for many products.  In their old system (DS3), I could at least rename them and make them useful, now they just clutter my library.  I now have hundreds of them and will probably have a lot more by the time I am done.  I really need a way to delete, rename, move or hide them.

As it is, even if move the contents to where I want them via categorize, it still leaves the empty, unmoveable category/container there.

dazproblem2.jpg
    2030 x 1114 - 221K

I'm confused between the attached image and the written description. The little U on the category folder icon indicates that they are  user-created categories, but you said they were created by an installer. I've never seen that U on any category created by the Daz Install Manager. The category you selected in the image isn't empty, either. It contains two assets, shown at the bottom of the window, but the written description talks about trying to delete empty categories. BUT, regardless of any of that, it still seems like you should be able to delete those categories with the U on them. I see in your image that the delete and rename are grayed out. I am running version 4.9 now, and the delete and rename both show up fine for me. Do you know whether you are running the old Valentina database or the new PostgreSQL database? The old Valentina database could get corrupted easily.

I think you will need to submit a help request to customer service. I'm sorry I don't know how to fix the problem.

• Thanks for looking :)

The image was just meant to show what nearly every category is showing.. the greyed out bit.  I did not create the categories that are showing that, even though they show a U.

I have no idea about the database versions.. how would I find that?

I tried to submit a help ticket.. they were less than helpful :/  

edited August 2016

With Daz Studio running, open the Windows Task Manager and look at Processes (assuming you are running on a Windows operating system). Do you see several postgres processes? If so, you are running PostgreSQL. If not, you are probably still on the old Valentina database.

As an alternative, you can look in the log file in Daz Studio. Go to Help -> Troubleshooting -> View Log File... When the log file opens, search for PostgreSQL. If you  are using that database, you should see line(s) containing "Connected to CMS: PostgreSQL".

Post edited by barbult on
  • Thank you again for your help.

Yes, the log has that Connected to CMS: PostgreSQL line in it.

That's good. At least you have the up to date, more reliable database.

I'm going to see if I can get some other Community Volunteers to take a look at this thread and see if they have any ideas.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

If these are exe installers, you should probably download updated versions of the products.  If they are zip files, make sure you have the most recent versions.