NEVER MIND! FIXED - Need a clean install, can't do it -

grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

Hi, tonight I updated Sketchup and what a mistake. It came up with a list of programs that were still running that it said needed to be closed and I closed what I could, then it said some were still running and began installing anyway. Well I had killed studio but I suspect some part of the CMS / PostgreSQL was still running somewhere. Anyway long and short of it, Studio won't start anymore. You can load it, it shows as running in the task manager, but it never loads a UI.

In the installed directory, the DAZStudioe.exe file is just 91KB. When I run it, it does absolutely nothing. So I unistalled everything, all plugins, Studio iteslf, the PostgreSQL CMS package too. I also deleted the install download files before I uninstalled to force a clean installation.  Using DIM I installed Studio without the CMS package and it runs but does nothing.  So i killed it and looked and indeed, the CMS folder was not there anymore in the program files directory so I thought "well it isn't automatically installed so maybe I need to manually install the PostgreSQL CMS now" so I did.  Tried to run Studio again, it runs (verified in task manager) but nothing visibly happens. 

I've unsinstalled over and over, trying different combinations.  CMS first, then studio.... NOTHING.  Studio first, then CMS.... NOTHING.  Changed from the D (solid state) drive to the C drive for install .... NOTHING.   I uninstalled Sketchup / PostreSQL CMS, Studio, All Plugins and then re-installed Studio and PostgresSQL CMS... Nothing.  Every time I've done this with a complete re-download of all files (i.e. first deleted the local copy in the DIM folder using the option in DIM to delete it, then redownloaded and re-installed).

After all that, when I run Studio you can see with the attached screenshots that the EXE is running as well as multimple PostgreSQL (there were none running before I started Studio, by the way). And yet, nothing does anything. 

I am out of ideas.  I may be forced to run the beta as my only installation but that's missing some plugins.  

So I ask, is there some permutation of installation that I missed that would resolve my situation magically?  Some file I need to manually delete that got corrupted or something?  Please, any advice is appreciated.

Post edited by grinch2901 on

Comments

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

Update: I've installed the public beta and it does exactly the same thing. Runs, shows up in the task manager, does nothing.

Ay yi yi. Reboot fixed it. Just when you think you've tried everything, the obvious step you skipped was it all along.  angry

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Sketchup has nothing to do with DAZ or DAZ Studio so I don't see how an update to it killed Studio.

It said there were apps open which conflicted with the install including PostreSQL and DAZ Studio. They use common libraries or services I presume.  And I can assure you, it killed it dead after the install.  Wouldnt even load, as documented here.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

FWIW, you almost definitely didn't need to uninstall absolutely everything. In most cases where Something Nasty™ happens to an important D|S file, a simple program reinstall overwrites the dud file (along with everything else) with a clean copy.