So what will happen to Optitex Dynamic Cloth since they were just bought out?

Will there be any new Dynamic Offerings in the store? Will the product be unsupported? It would be a shame as it works well for my intended purposes...

Comments

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

A good question.

I hope we get an answer.

• ErdehelErdehel Posts: 386
    edited August 2016

IMO DAZ3D's partnership with Optitex has practically ruled out dynamic clothing creation in DAZ Studio. Maybe this is the occasion to go another more PA friendly route.

Post edited by Erdehel on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

There's another related question I just thought of — the Dynamics plugin is one of the awkward ones that must always be updated whenever the D|S program is updated. Who does this updating, Optitex or DAZ?

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,850

I would like to know, as well.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,071

There's another related question I just thought of — the Dynamics plugin is one of the awkward ones that must always be updated whenever the D|S program is updated. Who does this updating, Optitex or DAZ?

That would be, from appearaces, DAZ. I presume they've licensed the sdk to allow them to write and update the plugin.

Erdehel said:

IMO DAZ3D's partnership with Optitex has practically ruled out dynamic clothing creation in DAZ Studio. Maybe this is the occasion to go another more PA friendly route.

There are other options in the pipeline. Virtual World Dynamics is close to being ready (Well it is, but the bridge for it to work with Studio is in Beta.).

• JeremyDJeremyD Posts: 265

I think we're overdue for alternate solutions. Here's hoping VWD is one of them. 

JeremyD said:

I think we're overdue for alternate solutions. Here's hoping VWD is one of them. 

It works very well; it takes work, and it's not a one click solution, but what's possible is incredible. There is a thread here somewhere, as well as Rendo.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,063

Will there be any new Dynamic Offerings in the store?

Dynamic clothes by "optitex" in the store were not produced directly by Optitex company but by an independant merchant (a former employee IIRC), so having the company bought out would probably not change that.

edited August 2016
    nicstt said:
    Erdehel said:

There are other options in the pipeline. Virtual World Dynamics is close to being ready (Well it is, but the bridge for it to work with Studio is in Beta.).

I know and I am following the pertaining thread. I have high hopes for this range of products. Only concern is that it depends on the good will of 2 freelance devs.

Leana said:

Dynamic clothes by "optitex" in the store were not produced directly by Optitex company but by an independant merchant (a former employee IIRC), so having the company bought out would probably not change that.

True but his products only work if the Optitex plugin is installed and working. That is what this thread is about. Furthermore I think it is weird that only one PA can make dynamic clothing in Studio and this only because he had access to the software that permits it.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,063
    Erdehel said:

Leana said:

True but his products only work if the Optitex plugin is installed and working. That is what this thread is about. Furthermore I think it is weird that only one PA can make dynamic clothing in Studio and this only because he had access to the software that permits it.

The problem is that you need the Optitex suite to develop new items, and that is really, really expensive. Originally DAZ had plans to create a more affordable "dynamic clothes creator" software/plugin but unfortunately that never happened.

edited August 2016
    Erdehel said:
    nicstt said:
    Erdehel said:

I know and I am following the pertaining thread. I have high hopes for this range of products. Only concern is that it depends on the good will of 2 freelance devs.

Leana said:

Others could buy the software; ($)10,000 is a lot of commitment though.

With VWD, if there is good enough support for the product, I don't see why it wont be supported; it is a concern, however, but I'm risking it, because as long as it lasts, it makes all the clotheing items I have bought actually useful; I spent way too much time trying to get decent looks previously so I stopped buying outfits, and used what I had and modified, and re-textured them.

Post edited by nicstt on
    edited August 2016
    Leana said:
    Erdehel said:

Leana said:

The problem is that you need the Optitex suite to develop new items, and that is really, really expensive. Originally DAZ had plans to create a more affordable "dynamic clothes creator" software/plugin but unfortunately that never happened.

I know about Optitex being so expensive and that is the reason I believe it has'no future for us. I wasn't aware that DAZ once had plans to create a similar product/addon/plugin.

nicstt said:
    Erdehel said:
    nicstt said:
    Erdehel said:

Leana said:

Others could buy the software; ($)10,000 is a lot of commitment though.

With VWD, if there is good enough support for the product, I don't see why it wont be supported; it is a concern, however, but I'm risking it, because as long as it lasts, it makes all the clotheing items I have bought actually useful; I spent way too much time trying to get decent looks previously so I stopped buying outfits, and used what I had and modified, and re-textured them.

I completely agree :)
  • Erdehel said:
    Leana said:
    Erdehel said:

Leana said:

I know about Optitex being so expensive and that is the reason I believe it has'no future for us. I wasn't aware that DAZ once had plans to create a similar product/addon/plugin.

The creation tool would have had to be created by OptiTex, Daz can only (and did) provide the interface through which it would communicate with DS - which of course is how the player interacts too.

• These good folks just put out a cloth sim for MODO that is very reasonably priced, and it's been getting solid reviews from the MODO community vis-a-vis MODO's built-in softbody physics, which can be a bit...temperamental.  I wonder if DAZ could sweet-talk them into doing something for Studio?  

• Arnold CArnold C Posts: 740
    edited August 2016
    dhtapp said:

These good folks just put out a cloth sim for MODO that is very reasonably priced, and it's been getting solid reviews from the MODO community vis-a-vis MODO's built-in softbody physics, which can be a bit...temperamental.  I wonder if DAZ could sweet-talk them into doing something for Studio?

Looks nice. The credentials also look good. I'd guess with a price of just 1/50th there would be more artists dare to hop onto the stepmotherly treated Dynamic Cloth and Hair bandwagon. I wonder if we could "sweet-talk" DAZ into getting that for Studio! ***There still must be some torches and pitchforks in my basement...*** devil

Post edited by Arnold C on
    edited August 2016
    Erdehel said:
    Leana said:
    Erdehel said:

Leana said:

The creation tool would have had to be created by OptiTex, Daz can only (and did) provide the interface through which it would communicate with DS - which of course is how the player interacts too.

If I understand this correctly then it means that every time Optitex upgrades its creation tool then the DAZ folks need to verify their interface still works and possibly update it. <Irony> Unbelievable! ;) </Irony>

Anyway if this is correct then DAZ's involvement with Optitex is deeper than I thought and possibly only Optitex can break it. Which doesn't mean another solution couldn't run alongside.

• MacSaversMacSavers Posts: 324

The only problem with VWD currently is that it's only available to Windows users. He won't be able to do a Mac version until his next version upgrade.