Announcing: Daz Deals Browser Add-on

Comments

• mrinalmrinal Posts: 641
    Overdrawn said:
    @mrinal the Web Extension security model is slightly different and there are other security standards at play than just the Same-Origin Policy. The iframe is sufficiently sandboxes (for one) which prevents it's scripts effecting the page it was loaded in. Also, Web Extensions may not execute code loaded from remote sites (like CDNs) nor can they use eval, inline scripts and the like--all done to prevent the sort of risks you describe. Regardless, I'm glad you've found a way to use the extension to your liking. :)

Without getting into too much technicalities here, but you must have seen most reputable price history graph providers do provide that information in their own site without messing around the code and layout of the parent site. There are multiple reasons for that, respecting the parent site's user's confidentility and integrity of data is definitely one of them. A few minor modifications to the HTML code of Daz product page might have been acceptable. But by embedding an external content AND asking for permission for access to another domain, a line was crossed.

I must say you guys have done a good job with that add-on. I am just trying to play a devil's advocate to eliminate any scope of potential information leakage/misuse of user confidential information that might happen through the usage of add-on by unsuspecting users.

Also, lets not limit ourselves to only the possibly vulnerabilities that I mentioned. A skilled attacker would have access to more sophisticated devices and methods at their disposal. Lets not 'enable' them further by exposing possible areas to exploit.

• @mrinal the permissions we use are not different in kind than the ones used by SteamDB:
    https://github.com/SteamDatabase/BrowserExtension/blob/master/manifest.json#L20-L28

Is the main concern here the use of an iframe? Had we instead loaded the price history from a remote server--as SteamDB and many others do--and generated a graph in the browser, would that have been less concerning?

I do not use SteamDB browser extension so cannot comment on their reliability. I directly visit the SteamDB page if I have to search for the price history of an app/game. Besides, Steam already has a history of cases of hacked user accounts. How many of those cases are due to user's ignorance and misplaced trust is anybody's guess. Also, I am not even going to compare the resilience and robustness of Steampowered.com with that of Daz (with no offence to Daz of course).

Again, as I said, lets not limit ourselves to a particular method of exploit, because that would mean losing the sight of the forest for the trees. I think I made that point pretty clear in my previous post.

• @mrinal points made, and if you do more research that points to this sort of beach that would inform how we might build this differently, please let us know. At this point we're building things using Chrome and Firefox best practices, submitting the code for editorial review, and continuing to learn from other great extensions like SteamDB. Thanks for noting your concerns.
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086

It's a pleasure to see such civil discourse in here!  Elsewhere the flame wars would have started by now.  Kudos to all involved!

Dana

• Thanks, @DanaTA. :)
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

Any chance this will ever be available for mobile devices? I do all my shopping on my iPad. Either Safari or Foxfire for iPad/iPhone would be great! :). Also, there are so many pages to go through so I can't tell if you can set up notifications by SMS text. That would be worthwhile my setting up the browser on my computer, if I could get text notifications. I get soooo many emails, email notifications would get lost or go unnoticed for too long... Thanks.

Please understand that I have spent more here at Daz than I have at Steam in my entire life. So there's quite a lot at stake for me here. While I do want to benefit from the generous work that you guys are doing, I would be genuinely worried if there is even a slight potential for my account data getting compromised.

• @Wonderland right now the iPad browsers don't support Web Extensions... The text message options an interesting one though! I'm afraid I'd be even more addicted then. ;-P Emails do include images and more info than could be fit in an SMS. Will think on it. ;)
  • AtiAti Posts: 9,080

Also, there are so many pages to go through so I can't tell if you can set up notifications by SMS text. That would be worthwhile my setting up the browser on my computer, if I could get text notifications.

What types of notifications did you have in mind? The emails now contain all of the items that trigger the notifications, this can't fit in an SMS if there are 20-30 or more items on sale. Theoretically I could set up a page with all the triggering items on it, and just send out the link to that page. Click on link in SMS, and you get the full list, just like you would in an e-mail. (I'm just thinking aloud now. :))

Does your phone provider have an email to sms service? By this, I mean that you get an email address, such as [email protected], and anything sent to that address is sent to your phone as an SMS?

• @mrinal completely understand! If you dig around the Mozilla Addons site you'll find the code for the Daz-Deals extension, and we'd be honored if you have that a hard look and private messages @Ati or myself if you do indeed find a security issue. We've also spent more here than on Steam. :)
    mrinal said:

Please understand that I have spent more here at Daz than I have at Steam in my entire life. So there's quite a lot at stake for me here. While I do want to benefit from the generous work that you guys are doing, I would be genuinely worried if there is even a slight potential for my account data getting compromised.

I've sent you a private message here on the forums. Please take a look at the example there. I see you're at home in technical issues, so our conversation might end up having malicious-looking codes in it, which I don't want to be posted publicly.

• Overdrawn said:

Wow, thank you so much!! This is great! 

One thing I always wanted was to be able to shop by percentage-off (to find the best deals), and to excluse platinum-club items (again, to find the things trending downward). I don't know anything about how hard it is to do extension stuff, but if that was easy to do it'd be super cool :)

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421
    edited December 2016

I found this developer discourse on best security practices for plugins very interesting to read - as someone with a more generalized IT systems and networking security background. I also appreciated the lack of ego and the genuine desire on both sides to hear the concerns and explanations the other side was offering. (My experience is that you don't see that happen a lot in this industry.)

​As a consumer, I love the features, and feel much more comfortable with the way this plugin works and the permissions required than the previous solution that required an additional 3rd party plugin - but that may have more to do with my lack of experience with web security BKMs.

​I mean, at some point it is always a compromise between functionality, features and security.

Post edited by donovancolbert on
  • It would be awesome if the plugin could search and show you the least expensive new release. :D

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010

It would be awesome if the plugin could search and show you the least expensive new release. :D

Enter "new" (without the quotation marks) in the Search Store box. Enter.

Click on the Show All box.

Sort by Price Low-High.

• Tjohn said:

It would be awesome if the plugin could search and show you the least expensive new release. :D

Enter "new" (without the quotation marks) in the Search Store box. Enter.

Click on the Show All box.

Sort by Price Low-High.

Awesome! Thanks! So simple, it would have never occured to me.

edited December 2016

​I mean, at some point it is always a compromise between functionality, features and security.

This 'compromise' is what causes an user to succumb to an attackers malicious intentions. There is a good article from IBM which highlight some of the top 10 vulnerabilities that attackers often use to exploit. You can read more about it here: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/se-owasptop10/. You can also get more details from the official OWASP project at https://www.owasp.org/.

It would be easy to imagine how ads could be leveraged to implement those exploits and how sinister a simple looking image on the edge of a webpage can become if rendered from an external site.

If a breach is caused by an ad/external content that Daz has placed on their site, it would be their responsibility. But if a breach is caused by a browser extension that does the same behavior, I believe, it would be the users responsibility.

Post edited by mrinal on
    mrinal said:

It would be easy to imagine how ads could be leveraged to implement those exploits and how sinister a simple looking image on the edge of a webpage can become if rendered from an external site.

Please note that no images are served from external sites using this addon.

edited December 2016
    Ati said:
    mrinal said:

My observation is a bit different when I enable the price history and null-route 'civilizationhunt.com'

PriceHistory.png
    1280 x 771 - 885K
    DD.png
    796 x 167 - 13K
    Post edited by mrinal on
    mrinal said:
    Ati said:
    mrinal said:

My observation is a bit different when I enable the price history and null-route 'civilizationhunt.com'

When I do a "View frame source" on top of that unloaded content I get this on the URL: view-source:https://civilizationhunt.com/ds/pricechart.php?sku=36149&ea=e3b0c44298fc1c149afbf4c8996fb92427ae41e4649b934ca491b7852b855&pa=undefined&l=true

It seems more than necessary information is being passed on to an external site than that is required for rendering the price history.   Wouldn't the SKU been just enough?

What worries me more is that the information that is passed is encrypted, so as a enduser one cannot view its contents to see if any confidential information is at risk here..

mrinal said:
    Ati said:
    mrinal said:

Please do take the time to explore further.

What you can immediately see when examining the source code of the page, is that it's not an image, but an isolated iframe, so you can immediately see that anything in there is prohibited from interacting with the parent page. The browser blocks any such attempts. There is no way around that. Please take another look at the example I sent you in private message yesterday, and examine the error messages in your console when any interaction with the parent page is initiated from such iframes.

Ati said:
    mrinal said:
    Ati said:
    mrinal said:

Please do take the time to explore further.

What you can immediately see when examining the source code of the page, is that it's not an image, but an isolated iframe, so you can immediately see that anything in there is prohibited from interacting with the parent page. The browser blocks any such attempts. There is no way around that. Please take another look at the example I sent you in private message yesterday, and examine the error messages in your console when any interaction with the parent page is initiated from such iframes.

Merely relying upon the browser's iframe implementation is not a sufficient security measure that would ensure the integrity when loading content from external site. Besides there is another issue that I have highlighted ion my previous post.

I have already responded to your PM and informed you that I would not be detailing out any exploits that could potentially be used to bypass the browser security implementation. I need to ensure that if any breach happens in future, I am not an accomplice to it.

mrinal said:

When I do a "View frame source" on top of that unloaded content I get this on the URL: view-source:https://civilizationhunt.com/ds/pricechart.php?sku=36149&ea=e3b0c44298fc1c149afbf4c8996fb92427ae41e4649b934ca491b7852b855&pa=undefined&l=true

It seems more than necessary information is being passed on to an external site than that is required for rendering the price history.   Wouldn't the SKU been just enough?

What worries me more is that the information that is passed is encrypted, so as a enduser one cannot view its contents to see if any confidential information is at risk here..

Please see my post above about what the features of the pricechart are. After you read that, come back to this comment, and I'll explain every parameter that is being sent.

sku = this is the sku of the item that you are viewing. This is necessary to display the chart for the correct item.

l = can have values of true, false or undefined. When set to true, the chart will display the longer timeframe. When set to false or not set (undefined), the chart will display the shorter timeframe. This is an option you can set in the addon options page.

ea and pa are used to identify you! Yes! We will know exactly that it is YOU who is displaying that chart! These are the data that you enter on the options page of the addon. If you do not sign up for email notifications, or do not enter those login details here, then you will see pa as undefined, and ea as the enrcypted version of the word "undefined". Of course, in this case, you will not be able to set individual notifications. Why is this information being sent? Because the isolated iframe has no way of interacting with the parent for security reasons. And you can set personalized, individual notifications. Without knowing who to set the notification for, there would be no way to set it. And without knowing who is viewing the chart, there would be no way to display to you what individual notification you have already set.

Okay, but why is that encrypted? For security reasons. Anyone monitoring your network traffic can see the URLs you visit. If we did not encrypt that piece of information, an attacker would be able to see that. So we encrypt it.

Okay, okay, but how can I be sure that it's only this, and I'm not actually sending all of my daz details? Luckily, the addon is open-source, so you can actually see for yourself! You can examine every line of code, every single character that is running in your browser, to make sure you are totally comfortable with it.

edited December 2016
    Ati said:
    mrinal said:

Please see my post above about what the features of the pricechart are. After you read that, come back to this comment, and I'll explain every parameter that is being sent.

sku = this is the sku of the item that you are viewing. This is necessary to display the chart for the correct item.

l = can have values of true, false or undefined. When set to true, the chart will display the longer timeframe. When set to false or not set (undefined), the chart will display the shorter timeframe. This is an option you can set in the addon options page.

ea and pa are used to identify you! Yes! We will know exactly that it is YOU who is displaying that chart! These are the data that you enter on the options page of the addon. If you do not sign up for email notifications, or do not enter those login details here, then you will see pa as undefined, and ea as the enrcypted version of the word "undefined". Of course, in this case, you will not be able to set individual notifications. Why is this information being sent? Because the isolated iframe has no way of interacting with the parent for security reasons. And you can set personalized, individual notifications. Without knowing who to set the notification for, there would be no way to set it. And without knowing who is viewing the chart, there would be no way to display to you what individual notification you have already set.

Okay, but why is that encrypted? For security reasons. Anyone monitoring your network traffic can see the URLs you visit. If we did not encrypt that piece of information, an attacker would be able to see that. So we encrypt it.

Okay, okay, but how can I be sure that it's only this, and I'm not actually sending all of my daz details? Luckily, the addon is open-source, so you can actually see for yourself! You can examine every line of code, every single character that is running in your browser, to make sure you are totally comfortable with it.

I don't remember ever signing up for notifications either through the add-on or through the 'civilizationhunt.com' site. I still do not see why personalized information is necessary to render a price history chart. If it is for the period/range then you could have just sent the range as another parameter in plain text. The user information that you have mentioned should have been sent only while submitting the form in the notification tab. Why is that required while displaying the price chart?

EDIT: Maybe you want to post a link to the source code of the addon if you say its open-source. Perhaps create a public source repository in Github if its not already there. I could not find the location of the source code either in chrome webstore add-on description or on page 1 of this thread.

Post edited by mrinal on
    mrinal said:

Merely relying upon the browser's iframe implementation is not a sufficient security measure

If you don't trust the security measures in your browser, then that's a different issue, and in that sense, there is nothing I can do to help.

Not trusting your browser would mean not visiting any websites, since you can never know which site has malicious code on it that will bypass your browser's security measures and start logging your every keystroke, or send every cookie you have on your computer, or even send every saved password to an attacker.

Not trusting your browser would mean never entering your credit card information because you can never be sure that the encryption is not broken.

Not trusting your browser would mean never reading any of your emails because logging in to your email account, even over a secure connection, might not be secure enough. The browser's implementation of the encríption may be compromised, and others may access your emails. So you rely on an email program, but who can be sure that that email program's security measures are not bypassed?

mrinal said:
    Ati said:
    mrinal said:

I don't remember ever signing up for notifications either through the add-on or through the 'civilizationhunt.com' site. I still do not see why personalized information is necessary to render a price history chart. If it is for the period/range then you could have just sent the range as another parameter in plain text. The user information that you have mentioned should have been sent only while submitting the form in the notification tab. Why is that required while displaying the price chart?

Based on what I wrote in my message you quoted:

"If you do not sign up for email notifications, or do not enter those login details here, then you will see pa as undefined, and ea as the enrcypted version of the word "undefined". Of course, in this case, you will not be able to set individual notifications."

if you did not sign up for the notifications, then you will see that there is no user information being sent at all, only the word "undefined" and the encryptred version of the word "undefined", since in that case we have no way of knowing any such user information.

mrinal said:

EDIT: Maybe you want to post a link to the source code of the addon if you say its open-source. Perhaps create a public source repository in Github if its not already there. I could not find the location of the source code either in chrome webstore add-on description or on page 1 of this thread.

I could show you one source code, and install something completely different on your computer. The best way is always to check the version that is actually on your computer.

I just googled the following page, I don't know if the method described works or not. If it doesn't work, or you are not comfortable with viewing the source code this way, please feel free to do a search on google, or any other search engine, to see how you can access the source codes of the addons you have installed. http://www.howtogeek.com/198964/how-to-view-the-source-code-of-a-chrome-extension/

Ati said:
    mrinal said:
    Ati said:
    mrinal said:

Based on what I wrote in my message you quoted:

"If you do not sign up for email notifications, or do not enter those login details here, then you will see pa as undefined, and ea as the enrcypted version of the word "undefined". Of course, in this case, you will not be able to set individual notifications."

if you did not sign up for the notifications, then you will see that there is no user information being sent at all, only the word "undefined" and the encryptred version of the word "undefined", since in that case we have no way of knowing any such user information.

Could you please focus your response on the text marked in bold in the previous post. I hear that you are sending the information even if it is "undefined" but WHY is it required for the price chart? WHY you need to identify the user who is asking for the price chart?

I am asking these question because the encrypted data could potentially be used as a payload to pass sensitive information.

This discussion has been closed.