Circular Terrains

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to create a disc shaped terrain (no prizes for guessing what I'm modelling) and I'm not sure if I can.

I've created a terrain heightmap and texture to sit on top of that, as a terrain.  I can place the generated terrain in the center of a flattened disc so that the corners are hidden; however, that does mean that there's a great deal of unwanted empty space around the edge, between the last landmasses and edge of the disc.

Is there a way I can either generate circular terrains or a way to copy the centre of my terrain onto another shape, losing the corners in the process.

Thank you in advance.

Later,

Jes

Comments

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited August 2016

You could try using a Torus around the bottom of a square Terrain and make the Terrain Positive and the Torus Negative.

To make the Torus Negative just click the A on the objects menu and select Negative, and do the same for the Terrain and select Positive.

Then group the 2 together by selecting both objects and clicking the G on the object menu.

You will need to adjust the Torus to the correct height and thickness to get it right.

Ungrouped.jpg
    600 x 450 - 108K
    Grouped.jpg
    600 x 450 - 78K
    Post edited by StuartB on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited August 2016

Not really sure what you're asking here. A picture of the problem would help.

In general, yes you can create circular terrains. First thing to check is that your terrain is set to Solid (see 'A' on screen grab below).

There is a Rounded Edge filter in the terrain editor which will create a roughly circular edge to your heightmap (see 'B' on screen grab)

Finally, you can use the cut off filter slider to make anyhing below a user set height invisible (see 'C' on screen grab).

Hope this helps.

Screen-shot-2016-08-12-at-01.46.04.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 263K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • jesjes Posts: 7

Hi Both,

Thanks very much for the quick responses.  I'll try both out but I think Dave's suggestions about filtering below a certain height will be absolutely ideal.

I'll post a piccie up of my finished model when I'm done.

Awesome job.

Later,

Jes