Star Trek Builders Unite 2 "Renderings on the Edge of Forever"

Comments

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186
    edited December 1969

Something else I've had in my hard drive, my version of a Starfleet Marine duty uniform. I've seen some other versions of the Starfleet Marine insignia and, while I always felt it should be inspired by the USMC insignia, I always thought they were too close to the USMC insignia. I tried to do something a little different while retaining the anchor and globe.

One problem I have with Starfleet Marines, however, is that there's no canon proof they exist (aside from Enterprise). No mention, forget appearances, in TOS, TNG, DS9, or Voyager. And as I've been watching DS9 and the whole Dominion War storyline, there were plenty of opportunities to see Marines, from the planetary fronts of the Klingons attempt to conquer the Cardassians (a prelude to the Dominion War itself) to armed personnel patrol the streets of Earth. In every case, they were Starfleet personnel. No mention of Marines.

So, no HOO-YAH in the 24th century?

Good call BB3 on the Marines! You can always use some specialized troops to take care of things. I do agree that the UFP symbole looks out of place, and would think that the standard Starfleet logo might be more appropriate on a black background there. Just my .02 cents on that part. Hope to see more of this soon

• crownlioncrownlion Posts: 117
    edited December 1969

marines are not only a usa idea. many countries have them. (alot are historical now) but when i was in the army i had a good freind in the marines and helped him study for a board or if i remmber the promotion board and i recall somthing about 11 countries having acting marines. since humans were one of the primary founders of the federation i cant see why they wouldnt have a specialized ground force. and dont see any reason why they couldnt be called martines. just my thought

• crownlioncrownlion Posts: 117
    edited December 1969

forgot thanks Mattymanx for posting the Scimitar

edited November 2012

crownlion said:
    marines are not only a usa idea. many countries have them. (alot are historical now) but when i was in the army i had a good freind in the marines and helped him study for a board or if i remmber the promotion board and i recall somthing about 11 countries having acting marines. since humans were one of the primary founders of the federation i cant see why they wouldnt have a specialized ground force. and dont see any reason why they couldnt be called martines. just my thought

Actually there are 54 countries that have Marine Corps. Pretty much any country that has a Navy has a Marine corps, the USMC just happens to be the largest and most well known group of Marines. Since Starfleet is pretty much a space faring Naval force it would be safe to be that it would also have a Marine Corps. The USMC also has specialized reconnaissance groups called Force Recon, which are highly trained small units that are designed to be inserted into hostile territory in order to provide intelligence. You can't always send a probe and I also can't see why there couldn't be Marines in Starfleet. Granted it isn't "canon" YET, but they are still making movies and you never know when they will do another TV series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_(military)

Post edited by shadowhawk1 on
  • wolfgang_1wolfgang_1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Ships Of The Line UPDATE - 2012-11-18

Added the Reman Warbird Scimitar under Romulans.

Please see Link in my sig for the thread.

WOW ! Thank you very much.
    First Testrender :

Scimitar.jpg
    600 x 342 - 99K
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Ships Of The Line UPDATE - 2012-11-18

Added the Reman Warbird Scimitar under Romulans.

Please see Link in my sig for the thread.

WOW ! Thank you very much.
    First Testrender :

You're Welcome!

:D

• MotoTsumeMotoTsume Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

yes a great model conversion Mattymanx thanks :)

romulan-reman-scimitar-sml.jpg
    1500 x 864 - 143K
  • rdudarduda Posts: 579
    edited December 1969

Quick render 0n a sick day

Poineer_copy_SM.jpg
    2000 x 1030 - 338K
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,248
    edited December 1969

I revised my Klingon-Betazed hybrid character idea, using Genesis and Jason Hair.

BetaKlingon.jpg
    707 x 1000 - 122K
  • GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,040
    edited December 1969

Cool image, Tim.

• edited December 1969

Ptrope said:
    Looks good! Only question I have is: why does it have the UFP symbol on it? I realize that Starfleet is essentially the 'military' arm of the Federation, but since none of the other divisions have it, it seems excessive here. I like the anchor; what about simply putting the Starfleet chevron over a round backing, similar to what you have (maybe it could include a top-down view of a spiral galaxy) and have the anchor through that, instead of through a UFP symbol? What you have is nicely done - it just seems a little too much of a good thing ;).

Uniform looks great, though :coolsmile:.

Thanks for the comments.

I'll explain why I used the UFP symbol. Like I said earlier, I wanted the insignia to be remniscent of the USMC symbol without being a total rip-off. The two most important elements (in my opinion) are the anchor and the globe. Only one problem. The globe represents that the Marines are ready to fight anywhere on the planet. Not really the image for an interstellar organization. So, I used the UFP symbol to represent that the Marines are willing to go anywhere in the Federation to fight for it.

Besides, it's not the only time Starfleet has used the UFP logo. The end of every Starfleet transmission has the UFP logo, not the Starfleet Command logo. I also noticed on DS9 that during the Dominion War, all the "standby" screens use the UFP logo.

• PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

Freebies have been updated.

ssgbryan - yours are under poses
    Mylochka - Under the section you pretty much own. Textures.

Update on the Mirror Graphic Novel...just hit the 1/2 way point.

-Paul

edited November 2012

Time for the QUESTION: any updates on the Founder and Jem`Hadar?

Post edited by MotoTsume on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

PDSmith said:
    Freebies have been updated.

... edit ...

-Paul

hmmm ... well, my Mediafire links will be adjusted later this week. I see you have nothing to edit there. K.
    The visor may soon be available on a proper ST website.

edited December 1969

Vulcan shuttle on approach

vulcan-shuttle-on-approach-sml.jpg
    1170 x 1500 - 158K
  • blutobluto Posts: 827
    edited November 2012

MotoTsume said:

ok , im really sorry . but i just havent found time to finnish them up yet .
    in a couple of days i get a four day weekend .
    i will finnish them then and post a link to the downloads i swear i will

Post edited by bluto on
    edited December 1969

bluto said:
    MotoTsume said:

ok , im really sorry . but i just havent found time to finnish them up yet .
    in a couple of days i get a four day weekend .
    i will finnish them then and post a link to the downloads i swear i will

Awesome, U da Man :)

• ThalekThalek Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

Bluto, your vacation time is yours to allocate. If you want to spend four days with your family and feast in a state of thankfulness, that's fine. But on the fifth day . . . [wicked grin]

edited December 1969

OK I was playing around with one of Mylochka's Andorran textures and struck on this idea for a pinup. Of course she has her ever present antenna rings in and her favorite ride that she won in a poker game on some no name world a while back . I will be posting a larger and slightly changed version on my DA page later.

Andorian_Bad_Girl_small_iamge.jpg
    1420 x 852 - 508K
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

No, its not Star Trek but since some, if not most are Star Wars fans too, I figure I would post about it here too.

Comming soon to F3D...

Legacy_ISD-02b.jpg
    900 x 900 - 639K
  • edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    No, its not Star Trek but since some, if not most are Star Wars fans too, I figure I would post about it here too.

Comming soon to F3D...

Oh by Odin, YES!!

I look forward to this, as I've been hungering for Star Wars models to play with, in Poser. Hopefully, you'll knock out a Millennium Falcon, an X-Wing and Y-Wing, too. :) Also, if you happen to convert any of the Star Wars sets (corridors, etc), that would be awesome.

Always love your Trek stuff, and they're always a joy to play with, but bringing some Star Wars flavour to the party never hurts. :)

Can only hope to get an updated TARDIS model, too. *hints cast out far and wide*.

• mylochkamylochka Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

I'm so happy to see you doing these conversions of my old pose sets!

• wolfgang_1wolfgang_1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

If someone needs a very cool TOS Shuttle in 3DS or MAX format , take a look at this :
    http://www.trekmeshes.ch/

RAULGALILEO.jpg
    512 x 384 - 95K
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,579
    edited December 1969

I thought the bit about the figures was just a play upon toy adverts. But I see Raul actually modeled sitting figures of the "Magnificent Seven" for use with the shuttle.

(They are indeed a separate download.)

Sincerely,

Bill

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Redfern said:
    I thought the bit about the figures was just a play upon toy adverts. But I see Raul actually modeled sitting figures of the "Magnificent Seven" for use with the shuttle.

Looks more than a little bit like them, too. BTW, about those new models, after using PoseRay to convert to OBJ I can get the TOS Big E looking really good in D|S with little difficulty (apart from the red/green running lights coming out both green, and I can't open the hangar bay doors to look at that great little shuttlebay). But the TMP travelpod is iffy — something about the TGA files seems to rub D|S the wrong way. I tried converting the TGAs to TIFs, with no luck. Anyone? Haven't tried either of the Galileos yet.
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,579
    edited December 1969

Haven't worked with the shuttles yet, but I have experimented with the crew. I initially loaded them into Pose-Ray and then loaded the converted .OBJ into UV Mapper for "clean up". No concave, degenerate, collinear or even inverted facets. I swear this is probably the "cleanest" mesh I've loaded into UV Mapper. With no repairs needed, I imported the .OBJ into Poser Pro 2012. Other than tweaking the highlight values, I didn't need to do anything.

In fact, it seems I didn't even have to pass the data through Pose-Ray or UV Mapper. As an experiment, I imported the original .3DS file into Poser and the final result looked just as good as the twice tweaked data. (The quick render depicts the imported .3DS file.)

Sincerely,

Bill

Shuttle-Crew-J-1.jpg
    638 x 357 - 33K
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,248
    edited December 1969

I imported Predatron's David Character Morphs (http://www.daz3d.com/shop/david-character-morphs) into Genesis via Generation X.

I like result of the Cardassian morph, but I need to work on a texture and find the right hair.

CardiTest.jpg
    707 x 1000 - 119K
This discussion has been closed.