Where are V5 textures and morphs please?

edited October 2012 in New Users

Hi,

I've used a lot of content with poser before, but never run DAZStudio 4 until now, having just purchased Victoria 5 plus head/body morphs plus Genesis plus studio4..

When I load Victoria 5 I get a strange looking very un-natural shiny metallic bronze look. (This IS with lights enabled). While the eyes load when I double click, and the lipstick, I can't seem to get anything loaded skin wise except that hideous bronze statue texture. Are the body and face skin textures meant to be there or is this a separate product I have to purchase? The purchase page does not make this at all clear. The materials menu doesn't seem to make clear whether the textures are available in Studio. (I've installed everything as per instructions into the same library).

Also, when applying global tone/material adjustments to the whole body, how do I click so the whole body is highlighted rather than just one section?

Lastly, I can't work out whether I have ALL the head and body morphs loaded. What seem to be present are the genesis morphs but not the additional ones I purchased. Is there a loader (similar to the Pose Injection icons found in Poser) that is obvious? Do Genesis and Head/body morphs work together?

Thanks for any answers.

Post edited by rob-young_652bf24516 on

Comments

• edited December 1969

Could someone please help. I've installed V5 with added head/body morphs and genesis. When I load V5 in Studio 4 I get what looks like a metallic bronze texture. Surely this can't be a skin texture? Surely some base skin textures come with the package, or maybe that strange bronzed look IS the textures. It's difficult to know because being used more to Poser I can't quite understand how Studio injects skin textures rather like poser does.

Could some kind person guide me please and also confirm how i get skin textures to show. Thank you.

• edited October 2012

...I found a few answers to the above by fiddling, but there are a few things which don't seem right. I see the textures do load and some morphs too, but these extra\added morphs sometimes give less detailed control seemingly than the early days of V3 with the head and body morphs. For example there is a big gap between the buttocks (I noticed this in Victoria 4 which I never used because I couldn't get rid of it). In V3 there was a hip spandex morph which would close that gap. I can't find an equivalent morph slider for v5/genesis. It is a very glaring error and surely there must be a way to get rid of it!

I realise now that the reason I thought no skin textures were loading was because of the hideous bronze coloured shiny skin due to the default specular and shine values in the materials section which are way too high.They make every loaded figures look like they have bronze paint applied. Is there a way of setting shine and specular light to minimum be default on each figure loading, rather than having to laboriously adjust down each time?

Also I'm finding that each V5 and genesis morph slider "snaps" the body part into a contortion while the slider is moving, then "snaps" the body part again when you let go, making it difficult to see any subtle changes. Is there a way to stop this "snapping?".

Next, the genesis morphs appear mostly to be set at the left extreme rather than in the middle, thus many morph controls are therefore only possible to increase, rather than apply a negative value, (as with V3 morphs). This is a great shame because sometimes one morph will exaggerate another (example: the heavy morph also makes the arms heavy, and I'd like to reduce (apply negative) values to the arms but retaining the heavy overall control.

Next, I can't quite understand why I purchased V5 when the genesis morphs seem to achieve the same, or more. What then was the point of me purchasing V5? Is V5 necessary for the genesis morphs to work at all?

I realise now that the reason I thought no skin textures were loading was because of the bronze coloured shiny skin due to the default specular and shine values in the materials section which are way too high on lading the figure. It makes every loaded figure look like they have a coating of shiny bronze paint applied. Is there a way of setting shine and specular light to minimum by default on each figure loading, rather than having to laboriously adjust each time?

Oh...just one more question: There appears to be an artificial looking thick black outline bordering each figure. This is not aliasing, which I've fixed by increasing my AA settings. It is a kind of black border around the outline of the figure, almost as though it was a a thick black pencil almost 2d cartoonish line rather than a 3d figure. Is there a way to get rid of this?

Apologies for the many questions. I have read most of the tutorials. Thanks very much for any advice.

Post edited by rob-young_652bf24516 on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

leonardis said:
    Hi,

I've used a lot of content with poser before, but never run DAZStudio 4 until now, having just purchased Victoria 5 plus head/body morphs plus Genesis plus studio4..

When I load Victoria 5 I get a strange looking very un-natural shiny metallic bronze look. (This IS with lights enabled). While the eyes load when I double click, and the lipstick, I can't seem to get anything loaded skin wise except that hideous bronze statue texture. Are the body and face skin textures meant to be there or is this a separate product I have to purchase? The purchase page does not make this at all clear. The materials menu doesn't seem to make clear whether the textures are available in Studio. (I've installed everything as per instructions into the same library).

Also, when applying global tone/material adjustments to the whole body, how do I click so the whole body is highlighted rather than just one section?

Lastly, I can't work out whether I have ALL the head and body morphs loaded. What seem to be present are the genesis morphs but not the additional ones I purchased. Is there a loader (similar to the Pose Injection icons found in Poser) that is obvious? Do Genesis and Head/body morphs work together?

Thanks for any answers.

I've just gone through the fun of loading in V5 too ... as you were successful you do have the Head/Body morphs loaded. The installer was most fussy on that point. Why boggles the mind so I try not to worry 'bout it. [my thinking is if the morph is missing only half the package would work, but apparently we're not to use any of the package unless we've bought all the supports for it too]

If I'm not mistaken i think some of those extra morph sliders that appeared over in the Parameters Tab are from the head/body collection. You have to have Genesis selected for them to show as options in the Tab.

• edited December 1969

...Just realise the skin textures are loading, but the reason I thought they were not was due to the extremely high specular and shine material slider settings which are applied each time a v5 or genesis figure is loaded. Is there a way to set the materials params by default so shine is OFF? Also I am finding that the genesis and v5 body extra morphs "snap" the body parts annoyingly every time I touch the sliders, making it difficult to see what adjustments are happening until I let go of the sliders and the body parts "snap" back again. Is there a way to overcome this?

Lastly, on every V5/genesis female figure i load there is a completely unrealistic and glaring gap between the left and right buttocks. I can't get rid of it whatever morphs I apply. In V3 there was a hip spandex slider which "closed" the gap. I noticed that V4 had exactly the same problem and I gave up using V4 because of it.

edited December 1969

leonardis said:
    ...I found a few answers to the above by fiddling, but there are a few things which don't seem right. I see the textures do load and some morphs too, but these extra\added morphs sometimes give less detailed control seemingly than the early days of V3 with the head and body morphs. For example there is a big gap between the buttocks (I noticed this in Victoria 4 which I never used because I couldn't get rid of it). In V3 there was a hip spandex morph which would close that gap. I can't find an equivalent morph slider for v5/genesis. It is a very glaring error and surely there must be a way to get rid of it!

I realise now that the reason I thought no skin textures were loading was because of the hideous bronze coloured shiny skin due to the default specular and shine values in the materials section which are way too high.They make every loaded figures look like they have bronze paint applied. Is there a way of setting shine and specular light to minimum be default on each figure loading, rather than having to laboriously adjust down each time?

Also I'm finding that each V5 and genesis morph slider "snaps" the body part into a contortion while the slider is moving, then "snaps" the body part again when you let go, making it difficult to see any subtle changes. Is there a way to stop this "snapping?".

Next, the genesis morphs appear mostly to be set at the left extreme rather than in the middle, thus many morph controls are therefore only possible to increase, rather than apply a negative value, (as with V3 morphs). This is a great shame because sometimes one morph will exaggerate another (example: the heavy morph also makes the arms heavy, and I'd like to reduce (apply negative) values to the arms but retaining the heavy overall control.

Next, I can't quite understand why I purchased V5 when the genesis morphs seem to achieve the same, or more. What then was the point of me purchasing V5? Is V5 necessary for the genesis morphs to work at all?

I realise now that the reason I thought no skin textures were loading was because of the bronze coloured shiny skin due to the default specular and shine values in the materials section which are way too high on lading the figure. It makes every loaded figure look like they have a coating of shiny bronze paint applied. Is there a way of setting shine and specular light to minimum by default on each figure loading, rather than having to laboriously adjust each time?

Oh...just one more question: There appears to be an artificial looking thick black outline bordering each figure. This is not aliasing, which I've fixed by increasing my AA settings. It is a kind of black border around the outline of the figure, almost as though it was a a thick black pencil almost 2d cartoonish line rather than a 3d figure. Is there a way to get rid of this?

Apologies for the many questions. I have read most of the tutorials. Thanks very much for any advice.

Once you have the figure's mat all set the way you want it, you can File > Save as > a mat preset {I think that's what it was called, I'm on another computer at the moment].

V5 is the 'first' um, complete female figure for Genesis. You may have noticed that the basic female and basic male for Genesis are rather um, simplistic, okay. To acquire the complete male figure one needs to purchase the M5 Pro or suite package.

After V5 is installed there are a few other new characters out that can be added which use her uvmaps as well.

Gabi isn't quite so bronze.
    M5 closeup is real scary. Those bump settings have to be turned WAY down.
    There was a logic to why settings are what they are - including which rendering engine they would be using.
    Or whether going for a detailed far away look for M5 ....

Haven't got any black lines in D/S4.0 [so far] ... any chance it's the cartoon render? Check the settings under Render > Settings.

edited December 1969

There is a similar post in the beginners forum where I've posted some answers to some of your questions.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Threads merged, so people don't duplicate information in to places.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited December 1969

That "mesh snapping" is discussed in this thread:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/10401/#148452

...with a way to turn it off it if your system can handle it.

• edited December 1969

Thanks for the kind replies. Okay, so I'm getting there: Materials settings can be saved to a template which stops the "bronze" over-glossy look, and the "snapping" of morphs/mesh when manipulating can be alleviated with the "persistent" setting in the morph tools.

Now to find some clothes for V5, of which there seem few. Can I use V4 clothes for V5?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

leonardis said:
    Now to find some clothes for V5, of which there seem few. Can I use V4 clothes for V5?

To some degree...yes.

Tight/body hugging clothes, knee length or shorter dresses/skirts, shirts, shorts, trousers all convert fairly well or better with AutoFit. Some things can be converted manually. Long skirts/very loose clothes not so well. Shoes need manual conversion and even then may not be usable. It's often easier to do a two step process on the shoes...get them to fit a 'bodysuit' and then use that...but even that doesn't get all the shoes usable.

Probably 60 to 75 percent of the clothing can be made to work...mostly through AutoFit, with another 10 percent or so being able to 'mostly work'...like a long dress that fits nicely from the knees up (can be used in carefully arranged shots). And with judicious use of smoothing and push modifiers you can squeak out a little more...