SimTenero Voxelizer [Commercial]

Hello All, I'm very please to announce that Voxelizer has been released today!

http://www.daz3d.com/simtenero-voxelizer

Gamers may already be familiar with voxel art, but if the concept is new to you, hopefully the promotional images on the store page above will communicate it pretty well.  You can select one or more objects in your scene and "Voxelize" them, choosing to downscale their texture maps (this does not affect the original maps) or have each side of each voxel use a solid color.

Please feel free to post questions, tips, tricks, and other related thoughts here!

Comments

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409

Looks good on trees and architecture, bad on people. I think that would need some much, much simpler people's figures. More like simple toys.

• simtenerosimtenero Posts: 383

Looks good on trees and architecture, bad on people. I think that would need some much, much simpler people's figures. More like simple toys.

That's a fair point.  I think it can look really nice with figures a little more zoomed out, and with larger voxel sizes.  In the promo images i was mostly trying to communicate what the script actually does by showing figures with a variety of different voxel resolutions.  But sort of surprisingly, sometimes really low res people end up looking kind of cool, especially if they are going to be used for something like adventure game style art.  Definitely a case where less can be more :-)

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

This is a hysterically cool concept, and Simtenero, I really thank you for pushing the boundaries of what Daz can do in unusual directions!

This is a hysterically cool concept, and Simtenero, I really thank you for pushing the boundaries of what Daz can do in unusual directions!

Thank you, that's really great to hear :-)  Doing my best to keep things interesting :-D

• HoppittyHoppitty Posts: 466
    edited August 2016

I don't think Torf or Yweeb like this new toy... :P 

Vox1.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 331K
    Post edited by Hoppitty on
  • pdspds Posts: 593

At first glance, I said to myself, "Cool! Someone made a LEGO-style plugin for Daz Studio!" Then I realized there were no nubs, lol. I agree with Timmins.William, this looks like it will be a lot of fun to play with. Really out-of-the-box thinking (couldn't resist). 

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421

Is there a short video tutorial/introduction on You Tube? This really tempts me, but some of the options in that window make me fearful it might confuse me.

• JeremyDJeremyD Posts: 265

ah wow, very cool and unique. perfect for Minecraft fan art.

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    simtenero said:

Hello All, I'm very please to announce that Voxelizer has been released today!

http://www.daz3d.com/simtenero-voxelizer

Gamers may already be familiar with voxel art, but if the concept is new to you, hopefully the promotional images on the store page above will communicate it pretty well.  You can select one or more objects in your scene and "Voxelize" them, choosing to downscale their texture maps (this does not affect the original maps) or have each side of each voxel use a solid color.

Please feel free to post questions, tips, tricks, and other related thoughts here!

Grabbed it immediately, it was exactly the effect I didn't know I needed for an important personal project. Well-done, and thanks!

-- Walt Sterdan

• lwaveslwaves Posts: 237
    edited October 2016

Hi, is there any way to increase the resolution level?
    I just got this and it works really well with scenes and props etc but I mainly want this for figures and I just can't get the detail I require on resolution 9. I could do with at least twice that detail, maybe slighty more (assuming the voxel cube halves in size each level).I tried manually typing a number but it defaulted to 9.

Any chance this can be done, otherwise it's unfortunately not much use to me?

Post edited by lwaves on
  • Just picked this up over the weekend and looking forward to finding new ways to warp reality.  Quick question - It appears the Voxel area is strictly cubic.  Are there any plans to offer scaling the Voxel area X/Y/Z?  I have an idea for an image that would benefit from having this ability.  I'm sure I could find a creative workaround, but having this ability would simplify the workflow greatly.

One last question - is the Voxelizing process multi-threaded?  I'm looking to build out a new 3d workstation soon and want to know if Voxelizer will take advantage of a Xeon processor's larger core / thread count.

My best,

Eric "GuitarEC"

lwaves said:

I just got this and it works really well with scenes and props etc but I mainly want this for figures and I just can't get the detail I require on resolution 9. I could do with at least twice that detail, maybe slighty more (assuming the voxel cube halves in size each level).I tried manually typing a number but it defaulted to 9.

Hello lwaves!  At the moment, the resolution maxes out, there isn't a way to increase it beyond the max.

guitarec said:

Just picked this up over the weekend and looking forward to finding new ways to warp reality.  Quick question - It appears the Voxel area is strictly cubic.  Are there any plans to offer scaling the Voxel area X/Y/Z?  I have an idea for an image that would benefit from having this ability.  I'm sure I could find a creative workaround, but having this ability would simplify the workflow greatly.

One last question - is the Voxelizing process multi-threaded?  I'm looking to build out a new 3d workstation soon and want to know if Voxelizer will take advantage of a Xeon processor's larger core / thread count.

My best,

Eric "GuitarEC"

Hi Eric!  To clarify, would you be looking to scale X, Y, and Z independantly so that voxels could be rectangular, not just cubic?

It is, unfortuntaely, not multi-threaded, so core speed matters more than core count.

• lwaveslwaves Posts: 237
    simtenero said:
    lwaves said:

Hello lwaves!  At the moment, the resolution maxes out, there isn't a way to increase it beyond the max.

Thanks for clarifying and I figured that it couldn't go any higher. It's a pity as other than that it worked well but I really needed it to be like Spinal Tap.
    Oh, well. Maybe in another version down the road. Who knows.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

Hi @simtenero, does this product work in a way that allows for animations?

From the product page and general Daz and google searching, I can't tell if it's more of a camera-mechanism, or a script that runs on a single scene or a converter of figures/props or ?

My goal is to help produce a short animation of two voxelized knights in a short sword-fight. Because this would be fairly short, I could probably render each frame manually, but wondered if it's designed to be animation-compatible (press button, go to bed, etc.)

thanks - it's already a cool tool!

--ms

• Rogue7Rogue7 Posts: 122

Is there a way to speed up the voxeling process?

I've just spent 5 days waiting on the voxel process one of my characters.... at preset 7, and I think i need to go to 8

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,822
    Rogue7 said:

Is there a way to speed up the voxeling process?

I've just spent 5 days waiting on the voxel process one of my characters.... at preset 7, and I think i need to go to 8

Are you saying, that the voxelization takes 5 days for the one character?

It did for me, one character, hair & 6 pieces of clothing (top, pants, 2 boots & 2 gloves)

I thought my new system was more than decent ryzen7 2700x, 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 & GTX 1060, but Voxelize didn't seem to be using it's abilities to the max

Thanks for the confirming that time.

I have some voxel software for Unity, and will try to do some tests there.

Rogue7 said:

It did for me, one character, hair & 6 pieces of clothing (top, pants, 2 boots & 2 gloves)

I thought my new system was more than decent ryzen7 2700x, 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 & GTX 1060, but Voxelize didn't seem to be using it's abilities to the max

Any chance, you could post some render of that voxelized character? Please.

Here's the pic of the Voxel & character I based it on

Voxel 7 04.jpg
    720 x 1280 - 168K
    edited August 2019

Thanks for posting, Rogue7.

Is the voxelized character still posable, so one could change the pose of it?

I have tried level 7 of Voxelizer on the simple cone, but after 45 minutes of computation it was only at phase 7, so I've just stop it.

It looks like there are massive computations going on.

Cone7fail01scr01.jpg
    1199 x 977 - 204K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited August 2019

I have voxelized cylinder and used it as a stand for Genesis 8 character.

Elephant and the tiger I have voxelized in Unity (around 1 minute per figure).

The scene was composed and rendered in iray in Daz Studio.

CylMix02pic01.jpg
    1350 x 1080 - 230K
    Post edited by Artini on