DS4.5 and mesh popping

FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,512
edited December 1969 in The Commons

just upgraded to 4,5 from 4 and have noticed a strange issue. When I turn any dial or slider, the mesh on genesis switches to something different than what is dialed in and then pops back after i release the slider/dial. It makes it really hard to get precise poses with any kind of contact. Is there a setting that fixes this?

I am using GenX if that makes any difference.

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

From your description it could be Draw Style.

Follow these steps
    Open Tool Settings found under Windows > Panes (Tabs) > Tool Settings and follow the image

DrawStyle.jpg
    1207 x 781 - 350K
  • prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited October 2012

When I turn any dial or slider, the mesh on genesis switches to something different than what is dialed in and then pops back after i release the slider/dial.

If you're talking about the minor shift as it reverts back to the base mesh... That's normal behaviour for most programs that have subdivision.

Its triggered during movement, rotation, scaling, posing etc. The subd mesh is recalculated on every screen redraw.

It does make it a bit harder to pose things.

I just threw more cores, more memory and a snappier graphics card at the problem. That helped a bit. I find that's usually the answer to everything with this 3D stuff.

:coolsmirk:

Post edited by prixat on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,512
    edited December 1969

Thanks so much! That wasn't actually it, but it gave me the right place to look. It was under skin binding, optimized to full.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,512
    edited December 1969

prixat said:
    When I turn any dial or slider, the mesh on genesis switches to something different than what is dialed in and then pops back after i release the slider/dial.

That's normal behaviour for most programs that have subdivision. Its reverting back to the base mesh during movement, the subd mesh is recalculated on every screen redraw.

It does make it a bit harder to pose things. I just threw more cores, more memory and a snappier graphics card at the problem. That helped a bit, its usually the answer to everything with this 3D stuff.

:coolsmirk:

Yes, I figured it might have something to do with the subdivision, just thought it was odd it did not do this with DS4, but did with DS4.5. Any who, resolved now, thanks for the reply!!

edited December 1969

Where can I find the Skin Binding?

edited October 2012

Found it. Tools settings.

That does help. It's almost halved the distance shifted.

Post edited by prixat on
  • niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Hi...

If you also change the Subdivision to Persistent (on) then you should not see any mesh shifting at all, other than what should move.

Hope this helps... :)

tool_settings.JPG
    369 x 143 - 17K
  • RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

I can't find it in Tool Settings. How do I get there?

• niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Hi...

RKane_1 said:
    I can't find it in Tool Settings. How do I get there?

Make sure you have something like the universal manipulator selected. The regular arrow selector won't show the 'during manipulation' settings.

You can select it either on the tool bar or in the Tool Settings pane in the drop down window at the top of the pane.

Once set, it applies regardless of which manipulator you are using.

nicci... :)

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

Thankee kindly! :)

edited December 1969

Glad I could help...even though I was wrong. LOL

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

I am considering installing 4.5 that I downloaded a while back.
    Are there some steps I should follow before installing and any steps after installation?

I am thinking I should first reset the download to see if it has been upgraded. I have version 4.5.0.114

Should I uninstall 4.0 before trying to install 4.5?

Di I need 3D Bridge, Decimator or GoZ?

I know I need to install Essentials. I have version 1.6

I am thinking of not being concerned with installed content and actually let it delete all of my installed content , then install content as needed. Would that be wise or am I even given a choice with the library?

I'll ask about plug-ins when I get to them because I am not sure what all I have.

Is there anything else I am not thinking of or any tips that may help for the changeover?

Thank You!

Roy aka "Ledhead"

edited December 1969

You can let Daz Studio uninstall the previous version or uninstall proir the choice is yours. Yes the lastest version is 4.5.1.6 and yes to 3D Photoshop Bridge, Decimator etc. If you purchased the Dynamic Control plug-in then you will need to reset that yourself.

I used to let Daz Studio uninstall the old version until I stated to get problems, now I uninstall everything via the Uninstall Programs in the Windows Control Panel.

I even uninstalll the plug-ins before installing the new.

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    From your description it could be Draw Style.

Follow these steps
    Open Tool Settings found under Windows > Panes (Tabs) > Tool Settings and follow the image

hello mr. szark, what a design for ds4 is this?

edited December 1969

Hiya cosmo. To be honest I have no idea what it is for. For me it is annoying. :) I will go and ask my collegues and get back to you.

edited December 1969

This is what Jad said about what Draw Style could be for

Jaderail said:
    Draw style can be handy when working with large scenes. If your response is slow when moving items changing the draw style to a lower setting will get faster response and let you place items easier. I have to do that with the Forest Ultimate set.
  • edited October 2012

niccipb said:
    Hi...

If you also change the Subdivision to Persistent (on) then you should not see any mesh shifting at all, other than what should move.

Hope this helps... :)

Sorry but I just cannot find this "persistent" parameter by opening the tool icon or the universal section. Would you please be kind enough to guide me step by step in finding this param:

I'm assuming I have the figure loaded and Genesis or V5 body parameters showing. Which precise icon on the parameter or other sections do I press please to get the dialogue to pop up as illustrated in your post? At the moment I am clicking on the circular tool icon at the right hand side of any of the V5/V4/V3/Voluptuous etc etc master morph sliders but the dialogue I get is "parameter settings/unlock/lock then in the box for parameter settings I see "sub-components", "controllers" and "keys"> I don't see any mention of "subdivisions" or "persistent".

Thanks for your help.

Edit: Oops, I see now. It's the Tool SETTINGS icon, not the tools/universal icon. Apologies. When different users have different user interface set ups menus and layouts look different.

Post edited by rob-young_652bf24516 on