Moving item from "Products" to "Categories" problems.

I move items as indicated in the titel above. I go to the item in Products, right click and choose "Create a Category", then place the mouse cursor on the Category I create and click "accept."

However I have discovered that many of the items I moved that way are not there any longer. The name of the item is there but there is no content there any longer. I have moved other items that way tonight and that procedure worked fine. Any ideas as to what happened or how I can correct it?

Thanks.

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,162

Do you click in the little box next to the selected category to put a check mark there? You must put a check in the box, and not just "place the mouse cursor on the Category".

• BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367
    barbult said:

Do you click in the little box next to the selected category to put a check mark there? You must put a check in the box, and not just "place the mouse cursor on the Category".

When I select "Create a category" there is no check box there.

However if I select "Group AS" or "Group Contents As" there is a check box there. Am I supposed to use one of those 2 selections?

Those 2 possibilities have check boxes marked "new" or "none."

What is the best way to go?

No, the group is something else. That is not the category. I must have misunderstood the way you are assigning the category. Let me boot up my computer and get back to you...
    edited July 2016

I am interpreting your original post in a different way this time. It sounds like maybe you are selecting the product name (not item(s) in the product). Then you right click and select "Create a Category from...". The dialog that pops up allows you to select the parent category for your new category. So the name of the product you selected will become a subcategory beneath the category that you select in that dialog. (When you say "place the mouse cursor on the Category I create and click "accept."" I'm now assuming you mean that you click to select one of the categories listed in that dialog and click accept.) Then if you go to the Categories section of the Content Library and navigate down to the parent category that you selected in the dialog box, you should see a new subcategory with the name of the product you selected. If you click on the subcategory you should see all the assets of that product listed. I attached 3 screenshots of this process.

It is also possible that you are not really intending to create a new category with the name of the selected product. I originally thought you were trying to add all the contents of the product to an existing category. To do that you would not select the product name, but you would select all the items in the product. Then right click and select "Categorize...". That is where you navigate through the categories list and put the check mark on the category that you want the items assigned to.

If these techniques are not working, I have to ask what version of Daz Studio you are running. Some of the earlier releases of 4.9 had lots of bugs related to handling user categories. 4.9.0.63 was particularly bad. Every subsequent release has gotten better. 4.9.2.70 is the current release and I recommend that you upgrade to it if you are on an earlier 4.9 version. It is also quite possible that your database was corrupted if you upgraded from 4.8 to 4.9.0.63. 4.9.0.63 had conversion bugs that corrupted the database for many users, me included. I finally had to bite the bullet and reset my database, which is drastic, so think twice before going that far.

1-Screenshot.png
    883 x 795 - 169K
    2-Screenshot.png
    1282 x 888 - 191K
    3-Screenshot.png
    1144 x 801 - 167K
    Post edited by barbult on

If I understand you correctly, I am following that procedure.

Items I did 2 nights ago are still in the categories I put them in. So I am mystified about the items which are not where I put them.

What version of Daz Studio are you running?

Where do I find that info?

Help>About Daz Studio...

In the upper left corner of the splash screen that gets displayed.

Thanks.

I have the version: 

DS 4.9.1.30

Quoting from my previous post:

Some of the earlier releases of 4.9 had lots of bugs related to handling user categories. 4.9.0.63 was particularly bad. Every subsequent release has gotten better. 4.9.2.70 is the current release and I recommend that you upgrade to it if you are on an earlier 4.9 version. It is also quite possible that your database was corrupted if you upgraded from 4.8 to 4.9.0.63. 4.9.0.63 had conversion bugs that corrupted the database for many users, me included. I finally had to bite the bullet and reset my database, which is drastic, so think twice before going that far.

I think you should first try updating to the latest current release, 4.9.2.70. I don't have any other ideas, other than the ones I posted earlier and quoted above. You should probably file a help request.