install issues.. help with path pelase [solved]

steveneserinsteveneserin Posts: 0
edited October 2012 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi

Im having untold problems installing content to Daz 4.

I have been having a nightmare with the older content I bought for Daz3.. Ill be giving up on most of it.. but now Im having problems installing content for genesis as well.

Im trying to install the michael 5 and victoria 5 files. but it keeps telling me I need to install them to the same place as Genesis, but I have no idea where that is or how to describe the path.. anyone got any ideas?

here is the path I tried to use: c:/Users/my user name/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library

note to developers. this has to be the hardest ever version of Daz for installing things, gone are the days of hitting the install button and expecting the thing to actually appear in your library.. its very frustrating. As Im installing a new product into your new setup you would imagine that the paths would be set and ready to go, that it would just install... but no, we have to flap around manually inputting paths, and hoping its right.. its just awful, and it shouldnt be this hard. Genesis products should be set up to install to the genesis section.. where ever that is... Im sure this software does lovely things.. but Ive yet to give it a go, because Ive been days just trying to set the thing up.

Post edited by fixmypcmike on

Comments

• XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

When you have installed Genesis (aka "Starter Essentials") to the same location, then everything should be fine. I also install all of my content to the same folder as you and never had any problems.

Hope that helps.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited October 2012

Hi

Im having untold problems installing content to Daz 4.

I have been having a nightmare with the older content I bought for Daz3.. Ill be giving up on most of it.. but now Im having problems installing content for genesis as well.

Im trying to install the michael 5 and victoria 5 files. but it keeps telling me I need to install them to the same place as Genesis, but I have no idea where that is or how to describe the path.. anyone got any ideas?

here is the path I tried to use: c:/Users/my user name/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library

note to developers. this has to be the hardest ever version of Daz for installing things, gone are the days of hitting the install button and expecting the thing to actually appear in your library.. its very frustrating. As Im installing a new product into your new setup you would imagine that the paths would be set and ready to go, that it would just install... but no, we have to flap around manually inputting paths, and hoping its right.. its just awful, and it shouldnt be this hard. Genesis products should be set up to install to the genesis section.. where ever that is... Im sure this software does lovely things.. but Ive yet to give it a go, because Ive been days just trying to set the thing up.

I have no idea why things are not installing properly for you. The path that you posted is absolutely correct, and EVERYTHING gets installed there, including Poser items AND DAZ Studio content as well. That is really all there is to it

The only thing that may trip some people up, is that the path MUST end with 'My Library', and NOT any sub-folders of it. Do not install for example to My Library\Content or My Library\Runtime, ALWAYS install to the My Library folder as the last folder on the path.

If I were you, I would uninstall Genesis Starter Essentials, and then re-install it ujsing the path you have posted. After that, the installer should remember the correct path, and install all of the rest of your content there. Just remember to look at the path the installer lists, and change it if it does not end with the My Library folder.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • steveneserinsteveneserin Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks... Ill try that.

edited December 1969

oops... genesis came as part of the software, I dont have install files for it.

that kind of puts a spanner in the works..

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

Hi I understand why you feel difficulty about install rocation.

because first I thought same thing, I did not understand clearly what it means.

"install them to the same place as Genesis"

it is because, V5 and M5 are morph files for genesis.

so You just think the morphs for genesis need to installed under data folda of genesis.

now You have correct "default install folda" for daz studio contents.

it is
    "c:/Users/my user name/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library"

the My Library is your default contents folda when you install contents.

take some minutes, I recommend you once check
    ".. // My Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Morphs/DAZ3D
    by windows exprorer.

the many morphs which change genesis shape must be under the folda.
    and if you made morphs for genesis and save it, they must saved there.

so "same place as genesis" means, you need to install morphs there too.

but You need not manually copy and paste, just indicate same
    "default contents folda" ="My library" path as you installed basic contents of ds 4,
    it must install "genesis.dsf" under the "MY library" data folda.

so you just indicate the "my libray" path whenever you install morphs for genesis.

edited December 1969

isnt that what I did?

edited December 1969

You must be using an older version of DS4, go to Help > About DAZ Studio, and it will tell you exactly what version you are using.

The latest version of DAZ Studio is 4.5.1.6, this is NOT a Beta version, and you should buy it from the store for $0.00 to get it into your aAvailabel Downloads area. The program and the content are in seperate installers from DS4.5 on, and 4.5 uses the new DSON .DUF format for new content. It will still open older .DAZ Scene files, but any files saved out again will be in the new .DUF format.

If my memory serves me correctly, the installer for the older one had two areas on it for listing the install paths, one for the Program itself, and the other for the content. Have you looked in the My Library folder to see what is installed there? If you have just added 'Content' to the end of the install path, then it is just a matter of copying and pasting everything from that content folder up one level into My Library.

edited October 2012

ok I got some files to install, but Im still getting the same issue with these two.

13439_Victoria5Legacy_1.1_trx
    13976_Michael5Legacy_1.1_trx

both need to be installed with the genesis files.. but I still cant get that to work.

I do now have the other files loaded, but they dont work, presumably because these two arnt loaded.

Im using daz studio 4.0.3.47 64bit proedition

Post edited by steveneserin on
  • XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

Just do as said above and install EVERY content that you download to:

“c:/Users/my user name/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library”

and everything will be fine.

edited December 1969

that is exactly the path Ive been using and its still telling me I need to install them in the same place as the genesis files...

Im now uninstalling everything and starting again.

edited December 1969

Have you looked in the My Library folder to see what is installed there? If you have just added ‘Content’ to the end of the install path, then it is just a matter of copying and pasting everything from that content folder up one level into My Library.

Did you see my previous post?

edited December 1969

ok having wiped the thing and reinstalled the latest version.... its now using the correct paths and finding things... thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited October 2012

A few people have reported this and reinstalling should fix the issue (as long as Genesis is installed)

I have never understood how people struggle with installing new content, for me it is so easy to copy and paste or type in the installation paths (mine are not the default). For me it is the most easiest thing about this software. :)

Anyways when I had this issue reinstalling Daz Studio fixed it.

For the record Daz Studio's installation paths are correctly set up, so it most of the new content. The older content howeever needs some manual coaxing. But it is not rocket sceince. :)

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Have you looked in the My Library folder to see what is installed there? If you have just added ‘Content’ to the end of the install path, then it is just a matter of copying and pasting everything from that content folder up one level into My Library.

Did you see my previous post?

I did.. thanks, but I didnt add content to any of the paths.. I dont know where genesis was, never managed to find it. but its in the latest install ok, and where it should be too..

I still have no idea, but Im glad its working at last.