George HD Success

RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799

There really seems to be a significant liking to the George HD enough to get him frequent features in Newsletter promos and even extra PA support. So, I can't help but wonder, just how well did George sell at his launch?

Comments

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

George was in the What's Hot list throughout his 2 week intro sale period, and even for a number of days after that when he was only available at full price. Very few new products achieve this, so I would say he sold very well, probably a lot better than many of the countless pretty young females that get released so often.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,568
    Havos said:

George was in the What's Hot list throughout his 2 week intro sale period, and even for a number of days after that when he was only available at full price. Very few new products achieve this, so I would say he sold very well, probably a lot better than many of the countless pretty young females that get released so often.

keep in mind he was part of a sale stack, the only reason I picked him up was to save on other items. BUT I don't regret it a bit now.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

I really wanted him when he was first released but didn't buy because I didn't have an immediate use for him. Some time later, a project came up which he was perfect for. I paid full price as far as I remember and don't regret it either. He's been very handy to have around.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I'm not really a George fan personally but I have noted he is popular.

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,736

George fits in well with my needs for a new character idea I had. I found the perfect hair and beard to go with him.

Silly George01-sm.jpg
    1024 x 558 - 119K
  • nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,325
    edited July 2016

Based on a lot of the "stats" given out, whenever we inquire about more and varied male figures,  George is extremely lucky to exist since most PA's would never have thought him worth the time and energy to create in the first place.

Post edited by nelsonsmith on
  • barberoybarberoy Posts: 98

Hope we see Georgina, his BBW playmate.

• I do have to wonder if this means in the near future, when they finally move up to the 8 line, we'll see a full fledged George 8. 

(Well, probably not, but it is surprisingly nice to see he's been successful when you take into consideration 80-85% of DAZ's products)

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158
    edited July 2016

I hesitated to buy George at first, but bought him after a few days. I've been thrilled with George and surprised that he mixes so well in small doses with other characters. I even used GenX to transfer George to Genesis 3 Female. I've gotten more value and more fun from my George purchase than many other characters I've purchased, even Daz base characters.

Post edited by barbult on
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,306
    Havos said:

keep in mind he was part of a sale stack, the only reason I picked him up was to save on other items. BUT I don't regret it a bit now.

This is certainly true, and no doubt helped early sales, but given he stayed in What's Hot for many days after the stacking sales finished showed he was popular in his own right, not simply as a means to make other savings.

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited July 2016

And now I see a George expansion in the store: http://www.daz3d.com/george-expandable . And it's now in my runtime. I hope this does as well as the original product.

Post edited by riftwitch on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

People are hungry for something different - George is definitely something different. Now if only we can get a female version. :)

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799

People are hungry for something different - George is definitely something different. Now if only we can get a female version. :)

I'll say, according to some PAs and even DAZ themselves, the guys are doing notably better this time around. I have to really wonder what's making people finally buy into them more. Is it because they look better than before on the Genesis 3 technology? Are people finally getting sick of Vicky clones? Is 3rd wave feminism actually taking it's toll on the 3D/gaming world?

Either way, I'm not complaining. :)

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799

I do have to wonder if this means in the near future, when they finally move up to the 8 line, we'll see a full fledged George 8.

Admit it, we're all thinking this! ;)

• Panzer EmeraldPanzer Emerald Posts: 727
    edited July 2016

I'll say, according to some PAs and even DAZ themselves, the guys are doing notably better this time around. I have to really wonder what's making people finally buy into them more. Is it because they look better than before on the Genesis 3 technology? Are people finally getting sick of Vicky clones? Is 3rd wave feminism actually taking it's toll on the 3D/gaming world?

Either way, I'm not complaining. :)

I think it's a combination of all of the above to varying degrees, but perhaps a big reason could be that the quality of male-specific items has gradually improved, as I seem to recall a big grievance was the quality of male-specific items compared to those of female-specific. Better quality = people more inclined to put money where their mouths are (for lack of a better phrase). 

It was a little rough for a while there, but regardless of what side of the fence you're on as far as Daz character/gender preference goes, there's an amazing crop of items/clothes that've popped up recently for the guys (and the guys are finally/officially joining in the skimp*armor brigade with the Suneko and Eagle-Guard items, lmao. No complaints here!). Not to mention variety in the guys themselves -and not just in regards to ethnicity-, like with Ivan and George. Whether or not this trend will continue to other sites, though, remains to be seen, but if it keeps up here, then Daz might just be able to create a niche for themselves when it comes to male characters in this particular generation.

Post edited by Panzer Emerald on
  • jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

i feel like there's been a conscious effort made to give the newer genesis male characters looks that are more about personality than pretty.

and george--george is totally the g3m flagship of personality.

randomly:

there should totally be an annual award for the new 3d character who manifests the most personality.  and the award should be called The George.  :)

• ErdehelErdehel Posts: 386
    edited July 2016

Same here but I bought him nevertheless. I understand why he is apparently so successful though and it bothers me.

Post edited by Erdehel on
    Erdehel said:

Same here but I bought him nevertheless. I understand why he is apparently so successful though and it bothers me.

What bothers you? For me, he is great because he is DIFFERENT than every other offering for G3M and he has excellent HD DETAIL.

• DeepseaDeepsea Posts: 119

It took many months to create George alone. I did not for the success or money. I did it because I love him. All the products I offer it will be a love story.

I'am sorry for my bad English, I'm a French guy.

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225

I think George is great!  He went straight into my cart when he was released and i got his expandable (is there a pun there somewhere wink) pack as soon as it came out.

And George and I probably have the same waistline laugh  

On another note, working on a render which born fully formed as I was testing the expandable pack.  Hopefully I'll finish it before Sunday blush

Bravo Deepsea; George rulz! yes heart

Deepsea said:

It took many months to create George alone. I did not for the success or money. I did it because I love him. All the products I offer it will be a love story.

I can't wait to see what you make next!

barbult said:
    Erdehel said:

What bothers you? For me, he is great because he is DIFFERENT than every other offering for G3M and he has excellent HD DETAIL.

What bothers me is that I see more and more people call for rough and older men. It is a normal trend considering how most people see the ideal man. The ideal man is never a younger man who at best is considered as a bishonen. As I only render elves, heroes or people of my age this is not my cup of tea. As I said I understand why the pressure for older men but I don't have to agree with it. George is indeed different and I bought him as a potential villain not as the guy next door. :)

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,282

Thank you. Love him :-)

ooops.png
    1004 x 908 - 1M
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,988
    Erdehel said:
    barbult said:
    Erdehel said:

What bothers me is that I see more and more people call for rough and older men. It is a normal trend considering how most people see the ideal man. The ideal man is never a younger man who at best is considered as a bishonen. As I only render elves, heroes or people of my age this is not my cup of tea. As I said I understand why the pressure for older men but I don't have to agree with it. George is indeed different and I bought him as a potential villain not as the guy next door. :)

I have your exact opposite problem - in my story, I have a lot of "rough and older men" (and women, too!), and wonderful characters like George are exactly what I'm looking for. Then again, I don't have much use for elves and such. smiley

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,568
    Deepsea said:

And it shows in the quality and versatility of the product, thanks for all the hard work!!!

BeeMKay said:
    Erdehel said:
    barbult said:
    Erdehel said:

I have your exact opposite problem - in my story, I have a lot of "rough and older men" (and women, too!), and wonderful characters like George are exactly what I'm looking for. Then again, I don't have much use for elves and such. smiley

If we would all render the same stuff the 3D world would be so boring :)
  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,064
    Erdehel said:
    barbult said:
    Erdehel said:

I'm not so much looking for 'rough, older men', but I'm interested in men who look like they've run into life and it hit back. Something along the lines of Richard Boone, Charles Bronson, Lee Marvin, Lee Van Cleef, and James Coburn.

George was a breath of fresh air in the store!

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited July 2016

the characters I render are usually mature adults between 25-35. I'm not interested in kids or teens.  I could use extras like body hair and beard stubble and that sort of thing. 

I may eventually buy George however I do not have current need for a character that shape.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

George would be a good Kingpen or the Blob in Marvel Comic books. I'm trying to think of a fat good guy in Marvel Comics and the best I can come up with is the lawyer Foggy from Daredevil who really is nothing more than a little pudgy.

edited July 2016

the characters I render are usually mature adults between 25-35. I'm not interested in kids or teens.  I could use extras like body hair and beard stubble and that sort of thing. 

I may eventually buy George however I do not have current need for a character that shape.

Don't underestimate the value of dialing in a little George with other models. It can easily add a little bulk and maturity to other characters.

20% George and 50% George HD Details added to a mix of Edgar and Lee

25% George and 75% Michael 7

25% George and 70% Lee 6 (Legacies)

25% George (GenX to G3F) 50% Joanie (GenX to G3F)

G3M George .25 Lee 6 .7 mix Stratton Texture Iray 003.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 1M
    G3F Joanie .5 George .25 Ginger Skin red underwear bamboo garden rotated 90 George JCMs.png
    1600 x 2000 - 4M
    Edgar Lee George Touch of Dirt PS brighter.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 1M
    George 25% M7 75%.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 941K
    Post edited by barbult on