Revolutionary soft-body physics

creativemodelsbecreativemodelsbe Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Revolutionary soft-body physics in CryEngine3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KppTmsNFneg#!

is this what we will see in the new dazstudio 5 or carrara 9?
when do we see this in daz programs?
i really need it

Comments

• NimosNimos Posts: 39
    edited December 1969

i really need it

Ah... the amazing CryEngine. I mentioned it years ago and hoped to see similar technology in Bryce soon, but at this rate we'll probably have to wait till year 2099.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I think that is great tech but you understand it would require a complete rewrite of DS, Bryce or Carara to include just the engine. Then they would also have to include the new Rod/Beam system in the items made to use the system. And only those items would work in the system. They would then get asked why older props dont work in the new system. So they would have to write a new program to update older items to the new system... ect ect ect.....

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

HEY... we JUST got SDS in Daz Studio with Genesis! Would be nice, I"m sure, but we're always ten years behind the high end...

• creativemodelsbecreativemodelsbe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    HEY... we JUST got SDS in Daz Studio with Genesis! Would be nice, I"m sure, but we're always ten years behind the high end...

10 years behind?

soon there is no high end anymore.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I think that is great tech but you understand it would require a complete rewrite of DS, Bryce or Carara to include just the engine. Then they would also have to include the new Rod/Beam system in the items made to use the system. And only those items would work in the system. They would then get asked why older props dont work in the new system. So they would have to write a new program to update older items to the new system... ect ect ect.....

why go back to the past, if you can go to the future?

why still use older props if the new one's can be 100 times better.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

The aim with DAZ Studio is to make the software accessable to everyone, not just to a few studios and rich folks. Besides that, many people would not be able to use those technologies as it would require relatively high end systems to make is usable. DAZ does not make (much) money with software because their market is 3D content. As others have said they would need to start from scratch to create software that uses a different render engine. This would break all shaders and most materials and probably most models too. Many people have been buying content for years and it has cost them many thousands of dollars. Even in the latest version you can still use content that was created 5 years ago. This is a hobby and not much more. If you want professional software and have the money you can get all the functionality you want elsewhere.

edited June 2012

The aim with DAZ Studio is to make the software accessable to everyone, not just to a few studios and rich folks. Besides that, many people would not be able to use those technologies as it would require relatively high end systems to make is usable. DAZ does not make (much) money with software because their market is 3D content. As others have said they would need to start from scratch to create software that uses a different render engine. This would break all shaders and most materials and probably most models too. Many people have been buying content for years and it has cost them many thousands of dollars. Even in the latest version you can still use content that was created 5 years ago. This is a hobby and not much more. If you want professional software and have the money you can get all the functionality you want elsewhere.

since daz created the "PRO" version of it's software and did great marketing, not only hobby users are here.
    there are more people with advanced systems now and pc's and workstations get cheaper and faster and faster.
    these kind of people expect a little more features to play.
    daz created a base version and advanced system for the hobby market.
    the reason why pro version is set to free, i do not know.
    is it marketing? are there not enough pro features in the program?
    who knows?

Post edited by creativemodelsbe on
  • ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Looks amazing! And in real-time too! o_O

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,667
    edited December 1969

nvidia SDK for Apex physX cloth is free to anyone who wants to develop a plugin!
    still hoping someone will!

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited June 2012

Daz Studio has its purpose and it's not real-time physics. It's mostly used for those who want to create still images for a variety of purposes, though character art is it's strength. You can still be a "Pro" at what you are good at.

While soft body physics is cool, it would be nice if they improved the "soft body parts" in Genesis/V5 chest and rump area. V4 has a ton of fixes you can get to help when they bend or interact with the environment but I don't see those tools yet for genesis. A lot of the fixes I saw can't be moved over via GenX either since they are fundamentally scripts that run after the pose is complete. Having breasts collide with objects doesn't really work right either, ive seen people set mesh smoothing on genesis and then collide it with a wall and press her chest up against it, doesn't work quite right. :(

Sitting down is also an issue, I think a lot of folks would take advantage of improvements in these areas but it seems these types of solutions are only found at the other sites and again only for V4 :(

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,860
    edited December 1969

The software development kit is available to anyone who wants to write their own plugins.

Since this is not something I would use and I see no reason why DAZ should be responsable to provide it.

Want a plugin for your program, petition plugin makers. DS was designed to be a modular program.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,798
    edited June 2012

Wow! That looks pretty sweet!

However, I noticed that at 0:32 the mesh still goes through the wall. :)

Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,667
    edited December 1969

lol! I have asked nicely on Daz studio and Carrara forums!
    but it is up to people with coding skills to decide if it is worth THEIR time to do it!
    ofcourse people without nVidia cards would then whinge like Poser users over Genesis only products, Mac users over Windiws only plugins blah blah blah
    but you cannot please everyone
    then there is Mavelous clothing designer who might just get MY custom if they came to the party!!

edited December 1969

why go back to the past, if you can go to the future?

why still use older props if the new one's can be 100 times better.

So why don't you have an nVidia card and Octane? It's one of the fastest renderers out there. I can tell you why I don't: I can't afford it :)

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    The software development kit is available to anyone who wants to write their own plugins.

Since this is not something I would use and I see no reason why DAZ should be responsable to provide it.

Want a plugin for your program, petition plugin makers. DS was designed to be a modular program.

Keep reminding them, Matty... someday it'll sink in :)

edited December 1969

wancow said:

10 years behind?

There will ALWAYS be a high end! Check out the price of the software that plugs into and check out the price of DAZ Studio 4... One costs $$$$$$ and one costs $0.0.

edited December 1969

wancow said:
    wancow said:

10 years behind?

There will ALWAYS be a high end! Check out the price of the software that plugs into and check out the price of DAZ Studio 4... One costs $$$$$$ and one costs $0.0.

wasn't the price of studio pro first around $429 ? that's sounds not free? :red:

studio need good soft-body physics, we can create funny things with such kind of physics.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

wasn't the price of studio pro first around $429 ? that's sounds not free? :red:

studio need good soft-body physics, we can create funny things with such kind of physics.

You don't need Pro to run or create plugins.

• blibertyblabblibertyblab Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

Physics, in a program like Daz, would neither be about trucks crashing into brick walls nor blocks and other props bouncing around on the ground. Physics in Daz would be about having that prop STOP when it came into contact with genesis' hand because the prop connected with something. Physics would be about moving the arm and hand down to place on the hip and having the hand stop, (perhaps bend a bit more at the wrist if you kept pushing it), when it came into contact with that hip because the physics engine would tell the hand that it had reached a solid object.

Physics is a plug-in $125 add on in Poser I am not inclined to purchase because I have no confidence that it will work properly. The Poser people cannot even get their dynamic cloth to drape quite right. (It never looks right to me, Daz dynamic cloth looks much better when it works). Furthermore, Daz has mastered conforming clothing much better where poke-through is concerned than the inexpensive-but-still-more-costly-than-Daz Poser. Finally, in Poser, you can make certain you have set limits as often as you want and that leg will still rotate a half dozen revolutions or dislocate itself six inches from the hip. Although the problem is much lessened using Genesis in Poser rather than Posers own characters, (even their top of the line Miki4), still these things do not happen at all using Genesis in Daz. I am guessing that if Daz were to tackle the problem of physics, they would get it right. I would, therefore, readily pay for such a plug-in if it were available for Daz Studio. Why? Because it would seriously speed up the work flow.

And, yes, I admit I wouldn't mind playing with it a bit!

edited December 1969

Damn, that would be nice... but the thing is DS lacks a lot of things... not just physics.... a viable particle engine is another... But for my part, I share your confidence in DAZ. They do tend to get things right within the limits they are forced to work with...

• jorge dorlandojorge dorlando Posts: 1,156
    edited December 1969

i really need it

Ok ... You just ruin the rest of my day today.
    Yes, this is so wonderful ... And so beyond me, makes me frustrated.
    I have Daz Studio Pro 4.5, PP2012, Vue10complete.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Physics, in a program like Daz, would neither be about trucks crashing into brick walls nor blocks and other props bouncing around on the ground. Physics in Daz would be about having that prop STOP when it came into contact with genesis' hand because the prop connected with something. Physics would be about moving the arm and hand down to place on the hip and having the hand stop, (perhaps bend a bit more at the wrist if you kept pushing it), when it came into contact with that hip because the physics engine would tell the hand that it had reached a solid object.

Physics is a plug-in $125 add on in Poser I am not inclined to purchase because I have no confidence that it will work properly. The Poser people cannot even get their dynamic cloth to drape quite right. (It never looks right to me, Daz dynamic cloth looks much better when it works). Furthermore, Daz has mastered conforming clothing much better where poke-through is concerned than the inexpensive-but-still-more-costly-than-Daz Poser. Finally, in Poser, you can make certain you have set limits as often as you want and that leg will still rotate a half dozen revolutions or dislocate itself six inches from the hip. Although the problem is much lessened using Genesis in Poser rather than Posers own characters, (even their top of the line Miki4), still these things do not happen at all using Genesis in Daz. I am guessing that if Daz were to tackle the problem of physics, they would get it right. I would, therefore, readily pay for such a plug-in if it were available for Daz Studio. Why? Because it would seriously speed up the work flow.

And, yes, I admit I wouldn't mind playing with it a bit!

The Poser Physics plugin is $49.99 regular price. SMS sold for half that when it was released.

http://poser.smithmicro.com/poserphysics.html

It works in both P9 and Pro 2012. I does have a bit of learning curve but if you need rag doll physics, it is worth the effort.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,123
    edited December 1969

Physics, in a program like Daz, would neither be about trucks crashing into brick walls nor blocks and other props bouncing around on the ground. Physics in Daz would be about having that prop STOP when it came into contact with genesis' hand because the prop connected with something. Physics would be about moving the arm and hand down to place on the hip and having the hand stop, (perhaps bend a bit more at the wrist if you kept pushing it), when it came into contact with that hip because the physics engine would tell the hand that it had reached a solid object. ...

There's quite a bit of collision detection and physics in DAZ's Carrara already. Has been for over a decade. Carrara tain't free but collision detection and physics is standard with Carrara. Tisn't softbody physics but it's something,... when it works. :-s

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,704
    edited December 1969

This bicycle must be a hard-body then. Or maybe they didn't adjust the settings correctly...

carbikecrash.jpg
    600 x 412 - 56K