SimTenero Shape Reprojector

Is this a good tool for doing deformations by shape?

What I mean is, will this work for deforming seat cusions where characters sit, or deforming clothing, or cloth items,around body parts, like sheats over sleaping characters?

 

JD

 

Comments

  • Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,090

    Oh that is a really good question!  I would like to know this as well.

  • jdavison67jdavison67 Posts: 339

    Wow!

    I think this is what I've been looking for.

    Thanks!

     

    JD

  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,199
    edited July 2016

    I just started experimenting last night but here's an example showing feet creating an impression in a pillow (a squashed sphere).

     

    Pillow indent .jpg
    1200 x 960 - 1007K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 11,882
    RGcincy said:

    I just started experimenting last night but here's an example showing feet creating an impression in a pillow (a squashed sphere).

     

    That looks great. Did you use an existing pillow model, or is the squashed sphere one you created yourself? How many polys did you need to get those good feet impressions, if I may ask.

  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,199

    It was a sphere I created myself. It has 0.4 diameter with 40 segments and 40 sides. I found I had to make a new surface and select it in the "include by material group" to get the best result (you can see the size of the new surface as it has the yellow fabric). I also used the following parameters:

    • Hit Fixed Distance
    • Projection In
    • 3 Passes
    • Distance 140

    After the projection, I turned Smooth Before morph slider to -6% so the fabric didn't cling to the feet so tightly. I also had to raise the figure as otherwise the feet were buried within the pillow.

    The shape projector is not totally intuitive so start with something simple and experiment, but I got to this stage with about a dozen test runs.

     

  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,199
    edited July 2016

    Here's a view of the pillow at a different angle that shows how indented it became.

    Pillow indent 2.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 852K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 11,882

    Thank you for the details. It is really helpful. And again, your image looks great. It is very realistic. I like the way the pillow seems poofed up in the middle, too, as if caused by the compression of the feet on the sides. That might be because you started with a rounded sphere, but the result looks just right.

  • JeremyDJeremyD Posts: 229

    RGcincy that looks great. 

    My current solution to inflate pillows is to use the optitex plug in. It's nice knowing there are now other options 

  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,199

    Thanks. The shape projector looks like it could be a useful addition to the toolbox. I'm going to try sitting a person next.

  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,199
    edited July 2016

    It took a bit of work to get something I liked. With a sitting figure, the pillow basically wrapped around the body so you didn't see the indentations. I ended up first projecting a sphere onto the figure's hips to make them bigger, then projecting the enlarged figure onto the sphere (pillow), then turning off the figure's hip addition. The indentations are subtle but you can see them. Parameters same as for the foot indentations.

    Pillow sit.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 843K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 11,882
    RGcincy said:

    It took a bit of work to get something I liked. With a sitting figure, the pillow basically wrapped around the body so you didn't see the indentations. I ended up first projecting a sphere onto the figure's hips to make them bigger, then projecting the enlarged figure onto the sphere (pillow), then turning off the figure's hip addition. The indentations are subtle but you can see them. Parameters same as for the foot indentations.

    Thanks for showing us your learning process. This one doesn't look quite as realistic to me. The indentations seem to be behind and in front of his butt, rather than under it.

  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,199
    edited July 2016
    barbult said:

    This one doesn't look quite as realistic to me. The indentations seem to be behind and in front of his butt, rather than under it.

    I agree, I'm finding the interaction with the hips is not as effective. Part of the problem is there is no physics involved, so you don't get the padding being pushed around like you'd expect in real life. I wonder if a lower resolution pillow would work better? Or first distort the pillow with a sphere, then the figure?

    Here's another experiment. This is a square projected onto the same pillow, with a few levels of smoothing added. Made for a nice rounded square, although you can see that the polygons on the top are still perfectly round, as they were not affected by the projection.

    Pillow square.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 895K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • luci45luci45 Posts: 2,243
    RGcincy said:

    It was a sphere I created myself. It has 0.4 diameter with 40 segments and 40 sides. I found I had to make a new surface and select it in the "include by material group" to get the best result (you can see the size of the new surface as it has the yellow fabric). I also used the following parameters:

    • Hit Fixed Distance
    • Projection In
    • 3 Passes
    • Distance 140

    After the projection, I turned Smooth Before morph slider to -6% so the fabric didn't cling to the feet so tightly. I also had to raise the figure as otherwise the feet were buried within the pillow.

    The shape projector is not totally intuitive so start with something simple and experiment, but I got to this stage with about a dozen test runs.

    Thanks for sharing your experiments' results. I don't have the patience or attention span to figure out the settings. 

     

  • simtenerosimtenero Posts: 383
    edited July 2016

     

    oops, double post cheeky

    Post edited by simtenero on
  • simtenerosimtenero Posts: 383
    edited July 2016

    RGcincy said:

    It took a bit of work to get something I liked. With a sitting figure, the pillow basically wrapped around the body so you didn't see the indentations. I ended up first projecting a sphere onto the figure's hips to make them bigger, then projecting the enlarged figure onto the sphere (pillow), then turning off the figure's hip addition. The indentations are subtle but you can see them. Parameters same as for the foot indentations.

    These experiments are awesome, thank you for sharing!!!

    Try the same experiments but rotating the sphere on its side first (I'd recommend rotating the sphere, then exporting an obj and re-importing, so it is "permanently" flipped, that is, all zeroed out :-) ).  You can see in your sitting example above that the top and bottom of the sphere have a pretty distinct ring shape, which is being reflected in the end result.  The sides of the sphere have a more uniform face distribution and might produce better results for you.

    Post edited by simtenero on
  • jdavison67jdavison67 Posts: 339

    This is a huge problem solver thanks!

     

    JD

  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 13,383
    Yeah, I've often found it useful to try to convert spheres into uniform polygon objects.
Sign In or Register to comment.