UltraScatter - v1.5.0 released [Commercial]

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

Whoa, nicely done! I particularly like the hair.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Whoa, nicely done! I particularly like the hair.

I used Carrara dynamic hair with a gentle negative gravity value to make it float, if the figure is static, and a high air resistance to give the effect of moving through water.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,837
    edited August 2016

It was about a time to give George some new hair, even if it is a grassy one...

This script is super cool and the best of the best. Now we can create a lot of hair or hair like props. Just amazing.

George05pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 529K
    Post edited by Artini on

What I've really appreciated about this script:

It's been error free for me, at least.

The UI is straight-forward and lucid, doesn't try to get too fancy but covers a lot of ground.

It works pretty quickly.

• JerifeJerife Posts: 272

Fantastic images here! Barbult those sweets are yummie! And the lights on the flower too but I will never sunbath in that hill. frown

Love your undersea scene, Will and those flocks of birds, Melanie.

I didn't know either about the iRay Section Plane, thanks Richard they work great attached to the camera! I understand size of those planes does not matter and work as infinite planes, Am I right? 

But Howie, being able to run the script over again on the UltraScattered object or group correcting things has saved my life yes I was on the verge of throwing away the imaged I started when I first got your script; Cause yes, to make the plants go up to the sun I had to uncheck align normals under rotation. which was easy to redo but sloooow.

That is my only regret by now. My very normal laptop renders Harpwood Path with no issue, and the image i am doing too, even in speed instead of memory but creating 3.000 instances takes a couple of hours. and changing the parameters afterwards not so much but plenty of time too. I hope future versions of DS or UltraScatter reduce those times...

PhilW that underwater Carrara scene is awesome surprise  I wish everyday DS develops quickly a hair room for you. (If you don't create one before them)

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited August 2016

I ran into a strange situation today. I tried to scatter Loretta Lorez on a plane that I had scaled to be long and skinny. Since the UltraScatter instances are parented to the plane they are scattered on, they came out distorted. I guess they inherited the plane scaling or something. Is there a way to avoid that, or can I only scatter on unscaled surfaces?

Another strange thing happened with that same scene. All the bounding box proxies showed up underneath the plane, but when rendered, the instances showed up correctly on top of the plane.

Scaling Min and Max were 100%, The only rotation was Y +- 45.00. No distribution, scaling or rotation maps were used. The plane scaling is X 25% and Z 450%. I don't really understand the results I got.

Loretta Lorez Scatter viewport.JPG
    1035 x 1033 - 69K
    loretta lorez scatter render.jpg
    1484 x 1268 - 429K
    Post edited by barbult on

I've had problems scattering groups of any kind. The placement of the items in the groups (or parented, or whatever) get munged a bit.

For basic objects it wasn't so bad, I just exported as obj, re imported, it's one 'thing' and everything's fine. But that might cause problems down the road.

edited August 2016

I've had problems scattering groups of any kind. The placement of the items in the groups (or parented, or whatever) get munged a bit.

For basic objects it wasn't so bad, I just exported as obj, re imported, it's one 'thing' and everything's fine. But that might cause problems down the road.

I saw that with my Loretta Lorez scatter, too. On some scatter attempts, the briefcase, which is parented to her hand) was in the wrong location. But when I scattered Stonemason's red maple trees, the parented leaves worked OK.

Weird.

Latest commission uses Ultrascatter to place ~2000 blossoms to make a blouse of sorts: http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Naturewitchy-630051021

Question: if you scatter on an object, is there any way to take the object and instances and export it as one object? Any way to turn the instances into actual objects?

You can create a group with the scattered object, its terrain and the instances and save them as scene subset. Then use them ready made on another scene.

Oh, that works? Excellent!

Yes! laugh You can even run again the script in the next scene

Jerife said:

Yes! laugh You can even run again the script in the next scene

Wow, that's excellent!
  • barbult said:

I ran into a strange situation today. I tried to scatter Loretta Lorez on a plane that I had scaled to be long and skinny. Since the UltraScatter instances are parented to the plane they are scattered on, they came out distorted. I guess they inherited the plane scaling or something. Is there a way to avoid that, or can I only scatter on unscaled surfaces?

Another strange thing happened with that same scene. All the bounding box proxies showed up underneath the plane, but when rendered, the instances showed up correctly on top of the plane.

Scaling Min and Max were 100%, The only rotation was Y +- 45.00. No distribution, scaling or rotation maps were used. The plane scaling is X 25% and Z 450%. I don't really understand the results I got.

The script currently does not respect separate x,y,z scaling on the target object - I'm working on this so should be in an update soon. But why the bounding boxes are below instead of above?... good question. If you scatter the same Loretta lowres on an unscaled plane does it still do that?

edited August 2016
    barbult said:

The script currently does not respect separate x,y,z scaling on the target object - I'm working on this so should be in an update soon. But why the bounding boxes are below instead of above?... good question. If you scatter the same Loretta lowres on an unscaled plane does it still do that?

The bounding boxes still appear under the plane, even when the plane is not scaled. Loretta Lorez instances still render above the unscaled plane. I attached the scene file for you to investigate. I am running DS 4.9.3.71 public beta on Windows 10 64 bit.

duf
    duf
    Loretta Lorez Scatter plane not scaled.duf
    Loretta Lorez Scatter PLANE NOT SCALED viewport.png
    2560 x 1440 - 280K
    Loretta Lores Scatter plane not scaled render.jpg
    1484 x 1268 - 491K

Interestingly. scatter with lowres tree proxy puts the tree proxies below the plane, too. But scatter with object put the Loretta Lorez proxies above the plane, where they should be.

Screenshot 2016-08-23 21.28.22.png
    2560 x 1440 - 297K
    Screenshot 2016-08-23 21.28.40.png
    2560 x 1440 - 466K
  • OK, thanks - there's some stuff with origin points going with Loretta Lowres that I need to get my head around before a fix can be enabled. 

Jerife said:

You can create a group with the scattered object, its terrain and the instances and save them as scene subset. Then use them ready made on another scene.

Yeah, didn't work.

I have an urchin, a squashed sphere with a bunch of spines instanced on it. Saved as scene subset.

Started new scene, loaded scene subset, selected the group that included the sphere and spines and instances, then scattered it on another object. Only the sphere scattered.

Here's the result.

What would work is if there was some way to turn instances into copies, export as one obj, and then re-import and scatter. Anyone know if there's a way to do that?

urchin experiment.png
    1080 x 1080 - 781K

OK, thanks - there's some stuff with origin points going with Loretta Lowres that I need to get my head around before a fix can be enabled. 

I don't remember if I tried to change the Loretta Lorez origin or not in that scene. I was trying a bunch of things to see if I could figure out what was happening. At some point I started over, but I've lost track what I did when.

Here's the result.

What would work is if there was some way to turn instances into copies, export as one obj, and then re-import and scatter. Anyone know if there's a way to do that?

I do see some little spikes on that big sphere, but the aren't on the little spheres. Did the spikes get rescattered onto the big sphere, too?

Yes. From my tests, if you have a group or parented instances, the instances aren't instanced further, and the base items are then scattered pretty much independently.

Which is unfortunate, but I don't consider this a 'bug' or anything similar. The script already does a huge amount I'm thrilled about.

It does mean that if I wanted to do this, I'd have to actually build the urchin out of objects that I place myself, export/import, and then scatter. (Or model the thing directly, which is another option)

I agree, Will, that I can accept limitations, too. I just want to know what the limitations are, so I can avoid frustration. As we discover things that work in unexpected (to us) ways, it is great that Howie is modifying the tool to make it even better. We might be trying things the beta testers never thought to try. When there are things that can't be changed, it would be good to document those limitations/workarounds in the manual.
  • luci45luci45 Posts: 2,659

I tried recreating some of these experiments as I want to scatter figures and groups of fgures.

Scattering a group didn't work as just one figure got scattered. But when I parented a figure to another figure that did work. 

Also my bounding boxes showed up above where they should be with both Lorenzo and Genesis.

Stretching the plane had the same effect as barbult with the figure being stretched.

I am using DS 4.9.2.70

parented2.JPG
    1040 x 838 - 43K
    scatter paranted.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 432K
    luci45 said:

I tried recreating some of these experiments as I want to scatter figures and groups of fgures.

Scattering a group didn't work as just one figure got scattered. But when I parented a figure to another figure that did work. 

Also my bounding boxes showed up above where they should be with both Lorenzo and Genesis.

Stretching the plane had the same effect as barbult with the figure being stretched.

I am using DS 4.9.2.70

Did you try Loretta by any chance? I haven't tried Lorenzo.

• luci45 said:

I am using DS 4.9.2.70

In the first picture you don't show a render - but I suspect that it is doing the correct thing which is scattering each object individually - each instance will randomly be one of the figures in the group. UltraScatter does not scatter the group as a whole but scatters each of the objects inside the group - unless, as you discovered, you parent objects within the group.

edited August 2016

I don't get the same results Luci gets. When I scatter Lorenzo on a plane, the bounding boxes are below the plane. I installed Lorenzo and Loretta with Daz Connect. I wonder if that makes any difference.

Edited to add. My plane was created with Origin: World Center and Primary Axis: Y Positive, in case that makes a difference.

Screenshot 2016-08-24 23.37.09.png
    2560 x 1440 - 420K
    Loretta and Lorenzo Scatter.jpg
    1487 x 1268 - 514K

I parented one Loretta and two Lorenzos to a Null named "People" and scattered People. It scattered the parented items individually instead of as a set. I thought if the items were parented they were supposed to scatter together. (The bounding boxes were below the plane again.)

Loretta and Lorenzo Parented to Null and Scattered.jpg
    1487 x 1268 - 362K
    Screenshot 2016-08-24 23.50.30.png
    2560 x 1440 - 367K

I parented Lorenzo 1 to Loretta. Then I parented Lorenzo 2 to Lorenzo 1. I scattered Loretta (with the two Lorenzos parented to her). I scattered 5 instances. The 5 bounding boxes were below the plane. But when I rendered I got way too many people!! I don't know what is going on.

Screenshot 2016-08-24 23.56.16.png
    2560 x 1440 - 447K
    Loretta and and Two Lorenzos in a parented hierarchy scatter 5 times.jpg
    1487 x 1268 - 516K
    Loretta and and Two Lorenzos in a parented hierarchy scatter 5 times top view.jpg
    1487 x 1268 - 772K
    duf
    duf
    Loretta and and Two Lorenzos in a parented hierarchy scatter 5 times.duf