SimTenero Shape Reprojector [Commercial]

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2016

I think I just got this.  What are the terms on usage of the output of this?

Read the included PDF and the DAZ 3D EULA for a start, that should cover most of it.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • genarisgenaris Posts: 313
    Uthgard said:

Although 61,704 polys sound like a big number, you need to realize that those polygons are spread through a rather big surface. Try to enable the wireframe view in the viewport and see if there really are any lines intersecting; as the Reprojector cannot work with subdivided meshes, if the terrain doesn't have enough resolution to capture the shape of the sneaker (quite likely) you will probably get better results using a d-former, or, if you are set on using the Reprojector, move the sneaker to a denser part of the ground (look for intersections). I hope that helps.

Thanks for the info, Uthgard!  When I got stymied by the problem (and posted my SOS about it here) I finished a different scene and started a very large render of it that's going to be rendering for a couple more days yet, but when that's done, I'll try your instructions. :)

-Gen

• simtenero said:

Has anyone else been getting the error "Wrapper CalculateOverlap Error: Error: cannot access member `getNumFacets' of deleted QObject"? Seems to happen when the target figure has a geo-graft in place.

ACK, that's not right!  eems specific to figures with a geo-graft?  I'll start experimenting to see if I can reproduce and fix the error.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Has there been a solution to this error that I missed? I'm getting it every time. Trying to put a hand indentation from G2F into a G2M. 

• @Kulay Since the tool creates a morph, I would imagine that you are then the owner of said morph and are allowed to do with as you please - commercial or not. Obviously, no part of the Shape Reprojector script itself may be re-distributed. 

• @SimTenero I have a request for the next version: a CANCEL or ABORT button that appears alongside when an error message is presented. Right now, when you've accidentally selected the wrong items in your scene and you get the message "Please verify that the source and target are overlapping", all you can do is select OK, then the script keeps calculating things that you already know are wrong. When it does this, the cancel button in the log message window does not work - probably because the script's main window is still open and hence does not accept focus. 

In such situations, all I can do is force-quit DAZ Studio and load my scene again (if I'm lucky enough to have saved it before running the script). An abort option would alleviate a lot of hassle early on, before the calculation even begins. Alternatively, make the cancel button work while a calculation is running.

Happy to beta test future versions for you!

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,700
    Chohole said:

I think I just got this.  What are the terms on usage of the output of this?

Read the included PDF and the DAZ 3D EULA for a start, that should cover most of it.

Thanks!  I am looking at the PDF and looking for the EULA

• FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131
    edited September 2016

Are there any examples of this in use yet by the average user? I see just one example in this thread posted of the cushion. I can't believe there are not more examples of use yet. I have it in my wishlist still, but I would like to see and hear from real user experience. Or is there another thread I don't know about?

Post edited by FrankTheTank on
  • shinteo5shinteo5 Posts: 10
    edited September 2016

Can this be used to project a face mesh onto Gen 2 or 3? When I tried it, I get really weird results, like lips disappearing, and eyeballs popping out of their sockets.

I basically took a head mesh .obj, and overlay it with a gen3 figure, and select only the head and lips material groups. Since the mesh is smaller then the gen3 head, I project it inwards. But the results, as mentioned, isn't all that good.

This is my setting

Post edited by shinteo5 on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,700

I tried turning a sphere into a cube but with odd results.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

I tried turning a sphere into a cube but with odd result

Here's the pillow I posted previously projected into a cube. The pillow is just a squashed sphere. You can see that the edges have transformed into a rounded rectangle. The circular surface (yellow) does not distort because those vertices were not affected by the projection.

After playing around with the reprojector for some time, I stopped trying to use it as the results were too hit or miss. The feet on the pillow turned out good but I could never get a person sitting to work all that well. The pillow would distort but not in ways that it would in reality.

Pillow square.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 895K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

Did you ever try spheres that were retopod into a more even mesh?

Did you ever try spheres that were retopod into a more even mesh?

No. For the squarish pillow, I rotated the sphere sideways, then you can select faces and make a new square top surface.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,818
    edited September 2016

Ok, below is my attempt. I have used RGcincy settings. Dark Forces has frozen Leo into the block of carbonite.

Leo7sc02pic02.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 289K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

Yeah, I think the problem with using a sphere primitive is that the UV mesh is... weird. Either turn on it's side or retopo to get a more evenly arranged mesh and I imagine it'll work better.

I made a retopo'd sphere specifically for morphing stuff... easy to do. Use the free application 'Instant Meshes', apply it to a sphere. Bam.

I made a retopo'd sphere specifically for morphing stuff... easy to do. Use the free application 'Instant Meshes', apply it to a sphere. Bam.

I'll have to check out Instant Meshes

• OKay, you're all goign to think me an idiot, but... I purchased this, but can't access it. Where is it? It doesn't show up in my Content LIbrary that I can see, but DIM says its been installed. I"m probably just not seeing it someplace. Any idea where it is and how to actually activate it and turn it on for use?

Thanks,

Bob

If you installed it via DIM, then it will be in "Scripts" folder of your Daz content "Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library"

If you wish to know what files are included in zip file with it, check the contents of IM00033193-01_SimTeneroShapeReprojector.zip

located in C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\Downloads

This is for Windows 7 and with standard installation of Daz Studio. I have no idea, how it is on the Mac computers.

• Thanks.  I couldn't find it there, but I'll keep looking. I'm using Win 8.1; I don't know if that matters or changes things. I also install to the D drive, so perhaps that also changed things. The C drive was simply overloaded by Daz content and even Windows ran out of space!

Is there a way to create a, for lack of a better word, shortcut to this in the Smart Content pane? It just seems logical to find this under "Utilities," rather than having to search for scripts. I know it's not that hard to do, but it would probably save a smidge on time. 

Bob

Is there a way to create a, for lack of a better word, shortcut to this in the Smart Content pane? It just seems logical to find this under "Utilities," rather than having to search for scripts. I know it's not that hard to do, but it would probably save a smidge on time. 

Browse to the script in content library, right-click, then select Create Custom Action. That will add an action item to the Script tab in the top menu bar (and I believe if you don't have the Script tab, it will create that as well the first time). That's where I keep a link to it along with short-cuts to many other scripts. Choosing the script from the menu then will start it right up. 

• simtenerosimtenero Posts: 383

Hello All!

Sorry I've been absent from the forums for so long.  I'm catching up today and collecting feedback.

@Jay, thank you for bringing that to my attention, that's a bug and definitely needs to be fixed.

@Everyone, I will do my best to get geografted elements to work, but I'm curious if folks are seeing that same error even without geografts.

edited October 2016
    shinteo5 said:

Can this be used to project a face mesh onto Gen 2 or 3? When I tried it, I get really weird results, like lips disappearing, and eyeballs popping out of their sockets.

I basically took a head mesh .obj, and overlay it with a gen3 figure, and select only the head and lips material groups. Since the mesh is smaller then the gen3 head, I project it inwards. But the results, as mentioned, isn't all that good.

This is my setting

Hello Shinteo!

Projecting face morphs is definitely possible, though I'll admit, probably the most challenging type of morph to project.  A few recommendations:

• Try breaking it up into a few smaller morphs, mouth, nose, etc.  For example, position the target over the source so that the mouths overlap as closely as possible, then narrow the source bounds to only surround the mouth.
    • For areas with layered structure (thinking of nostrils and possibly lips specifically), try using fixed projection.  These areas are really tough areas because they have some internal shape.  You don't want there interior of nostrils to flatten themselves out against the surface.  Fixed projection also works well with overall head shape.
    • After you've created a morph, try dialing back the "_Before" smoothing morph to see some of your initial details return (edited, specified the wrong morph before).

Hopefully those tips help a bit. :-)

Post edited by simtenero on
    Artini said:

Ok, below is my attempt. I have used RGcincy settings. Dark Forces has frozen Leo into the block of carbonite.

Nicely done, Artini!!!

edited October 2016
    genaris said:
    Uthgard said:

Although 61,704 polys sound like a big number, you need to realize that those polygons are spread through a rather big surface. Try to enable the wireframe view in the viewport and see if there really are any lines intersecting; as the Reprojector cannot work with subdivided meshes, if the terrain doesn't have enough resolution to capture the shape of the sneaker (quite likely) you will probably get better results using a d-former, or, if you are set on using the Reprojector, move the sneaker to a denser part of the ground (look for intersections). I hope that helps.

Thanks for the info, Uthgard!  When I got stymied by the problem (and posted my SOS about it here) I finished a different scene and started a very large render of it that's going to be rendering for a couple more days yet, but when that's done, I'll try your instructions. :)

-Gen

Hello Gen, I'm sorry I didn't catch your initial post :-(.  Uthgards suggections are spot on (thanks Uthgard!!!).  However, if you are still getting an error message, please let me know.  I am going to release another update when I've got a few more fixes implemented, want to make sure I'm addressing the issue you're running into.

Post edited by simtenero on

Thanks, simtenero.

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609

Does this work in DS 4.8?

cosmo71 said:

Yep! :-)

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    simtenero said:
    cosmo71 said:

Yep! :-)

good, I think it will find its way into my card ;-)

• Hi, I think I've run into a Problem. Whenever I try to use Project In, nothing happens. Project Out works just fine. I don't get any errors, it just proceeds as it is working but in the end it looks exactly the same. Am I doing something wrong?

• MyLaMyLa Posts: 8

Hi, I think I've run into a Problem. Whenever I try to use Project In, nothing happens. Project Out works just fine. I don't get any errors, it just proceeds as it is working but in the end it looks exactly the same. Am I doing something wrong?

Yes, i got exactly same. Mac OS, Daz 4.9. And i don't unerstand what is any reasonblush

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

I hope there are some users who have bought this product and can advise. I'm wondering whether this might be an alternative to Dynamic Cloth in some circumstances. For example - could it drape a sheet or blanket over a reclining figure? And, if so, how realistic does it look? I imagine it might look like a body vacuum-packed or shrink-wrapped inside a plastic sheet! 

Another idea would be to have a shirt (or even skin) with some shape beneath - perhaps even animated - like a horror story with a big bug crawling under the skin or shirt. 

I don't have access to my computers for a while (they are being shipped across the world to my new home in New Zealand) but I'm hoping to see some images posted here before they arrive.